Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 26, 2014, 10:37 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple to Launch New 'Smart Home' Platform at WWDC

Apple will launch a new software platform that will let the iPhone directly control lights, security systems and other household gadgets at WWDC next week, according to a report from The Financial Times.

The piece claims Apple will make a "big play" in smart home technology by working with device makers give them official approval, like the "Made for iPhone" program does for some accessories like headphones and speaker docks, and software support in iOS 8.

Quote:
The scheme will be similar to Apple's existing "Made for iPhone" label, given to compatible headphones, speakers and other accessories, but with a new brand and logo. Apple may also provide additional checks and assurances that certified products are not vulnerable to hackers.

The Cupertino-based company was likely to emphasise the privacy protections built into its smart home system, one person familiar with Apple's plans told the FT, given heightened sensitivity about technology companies' access to personal information amid revelations about US intelligence agencies' online surveillance programmes.
The piece notes that plans can always change, but that Apple has launched a number of initiatives over the past year or two, including CarPlay and iBeacon, to expand the reach of the iPhone and have it interact more with the real world and other electronic devices in it.

Apple's retail stores sell a number of different components of the so-called "Internet of Things", including the Google-owned Nest Thermostat (pictured above), Philips Hue lightbulbs and Belkin WeMo Wi-Fi enabled light switches.

Article Link: Apple to Launch New 'Smart Home' Platform at WWDC
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 10:39 AM   #2
iLoveiTunes
macrumors regular

As a stockholder I am pretty excited about the coming WWDC....
iLoveiTunes is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 10:39 AM   #3
AstronomyiPhone
macrumors regular

This one should be interesting.
Old May 26, 2014, 10:39 AM   #4
Lapidus
macrumors regular

This would make me happy.
Lapidus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 10:40 AM   #5
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

I am anxious to see how this will all work together.
Southern Dad is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 10:40 AM   #6
MellowFuzz
macrumors regular

If this is true, watch the share price spike.

I can imagine a fixture that sits between a light bulb and its socket, that does the wireless connectivity and maybe even has a microphone that communicates to an Airport/ATV to enable Siri voice control in every room.

Last edited by MellowFuzz; May 26, 2014 at 07:25 PM.
MellowFuzz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 10:40 AM   #7
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveiTunes View Post
As a stockholder I am pretty excited about the coming WWDC....
Hate to break it to ya Mr. Stockholder, I have yet to see the stocks increase after any Apple Keynote no matter how awesome the product is.
HenryDJP is offline   43 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 10:40 AM   #8
diddl14
macrumors 6502

That and not having to unlock an iPod or iPad when used as a pure remote control would be super cool!
diddl14 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 10:41 AM   #9
polterbyte
macrumors regular

Good strategy. Better than buying Nest or some other company that makes gadgets for the home, IMHO. Just center all of them around the iPhone/iPad.
Old May 26, 2014, 10:43 AM   #10
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

Good. The biggest problem with domotics today, IMO, is not the hardware, but rather the software and integration.

Each manufacturer will make you use their own app to control their hardware, making it way more complicated than it should. The simplicity that domotics may provide is partially cancelled out by the learning curve/poor integration of the software it comes with.

Apple and Google will probably both offer software that unifies all "smart home" controls inside a single app/service, which is exactly what we need. The fact those two big players will be competing also means consumers will benefit more in the end, especially since Google's solution will probably be available on iOS.

Looks like what was originally a futuristic dream (for decades) will finally catch on with mainstream consumers. I'm excited to see where this will go, and how exactly this will integrate with Apple's business model. Google will obviously collect data. Apple may just lock you further in the iOS ecosystem, making sure you keep buying their hardware and MFi accessories.

Last edited by pgiguere1; May 26, 2014 at 10:58 AM.
pgiguere1 is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 10:46 AM   #11
Intelligent
macrumors 6502a

Apple "will". Are you sure mr MacRumors ?
Old May 26, 2014, 10:46 AM   #12
Traverse
macrumors 65816

And then my house can be hacked!

They could *gulp* raise my temperature and run up my electric bill...or, or, or turn of the lights when I'm walking and I fall!
Traverse is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 10:46 AM   #13
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

Quote:
The piece claims Apple will make a "big play" in smart home technology by working with device makers give them official approval, like the "Made for iPhone" program does for some accessories like headphones and speaker docks
You mean the Made for iPhone program that took the huge ecosystem advantage Apple had in speaker accessories and combined with Lightning completely blew it by being hard to work with and stupidly expensive?

Or the one that killed the iOS controller marketplace stone dead by mandating poor quality suppliers and making the offerings stupidly overpriced so it never got going?

This initiative is dead at birth if it's related to Made for iPhone.
The Phazer is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 10:47 AM   #14
Ajones330
macrumors 6502a

Super excited to see where they will take this, home automation is the future....

13" MBP l 13" MB l iPhone 5S Gold Jailbroken 64GB l
Ajones330 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 10:47 AM   #15
iPhonetherefore
macrumors member

I'm calling it first - iHome
Btw it just capitalised correctly in iOS 7
iPhonetherefore is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 10:48 AM   #16
luckydcxx
macrumors 6502a

This is great but this better not be the "big thing" at WWDC. We better see an iWatch!

http://youtu.be/eywi0h_Y5_U
luckydcxx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 10:49 AM   #17
TC03
macrumors 6502a

Hi iPad iPhone ihome
TC03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 10:50 AM   #18
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhonetherefore View Post
I'm calling it first - iHome
Btw it just capitalised correctly in iOS 7
Because this brand already exists.

http://www.ihomeaudio.com
Old May 26, 2014, 10:51 AM   #19
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydcxx View Post
This is great but this better not be the "big thing" at WWDC. We better see an iWatch!
Maybe you'd control your home with the iWatch.
Old May 26, 2014, 10:51 AM   #20
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Almost 70% OS WWDC sessions are TBA. Maybe this is one of the reasons? Perhaps some of these sessions are around the connected home?
Old May 26, 2014, 10:52 AM   #21
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Why this story dwells exclusively on the iPhone is kind of a mystery. Doesn't iOS also run on those iPad and iPod thingies?
Old May 26, 2014, 10:54 AM   #22
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
Hate to break it to ya Mr. Stockholder, I have yet to see the stocks increase after any Apple Keynote no matter how awesome the product is.
You're mostly right, but the stock went up on the days the iPhone and iPad were announced.
pgiguere1 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 10:55 AM   #23
herbapou
macrumors member

Quote:
This is true when there is a rumor buildup going into the event, the stock rise prior to the event then fall because expectations are too high.

On the other hand, if something unexpected happens, the stock could still rise following an event.
herbapou is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 10:56 AM   #24
Piggie
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by polterbyte View Post
Good strategy. Better than buying Nest or some other company that makes gadgets for the home, IMHO. Just center all of them around the iPhone/iPad.
Totally wrong 1000%

you may as well make a car that only runs on Apple Gas and hope everyone buys it.

Sure Apple make something new, but don't make it do only your devices can use it, otherwise it will fail again.
Old May 26, 2014, 10:56 AM   #25
isepic
macrumors member

Quote:
They typically go down, because all the big money pants loose their faith after the huge hype. But in reality, this is the best time to buy, after it goes down. Because it then goes back up after the scary cats go elsewhere.
isepic is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion