Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenglade07

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2013
I'm a writer working under deadline on a final manuscipt submission and Word has gone weird. It abruptly either crashes ("Word has encountered a problem and is shutting down") or stops responding, which is much worse because then I lose the file I had been working on. I have auto recovery set for 5 minutes, but as far as I can tell, it isn't working. When I look for the file after I shut down following a non-responding incident, none exists. I'm supposedly saving my auto-recovery files in Documents but I've also checked the Application Support section in Library. If Word actually is saving auto-recovery files, I don'k know where they are going. Phrases, words and letters also are being dropped or changed in my document.

I changed my normal.dotm to meet the publisher's requirements for fonts and other formatting options but I'm note sure my changes have set. When I'm working in a document using a customized Style, exit Word, and restart Styles has not been saved.

I'm using Word for Mac 2011 14.4.1 on an intel iMac running Mavericks. I've shut down AutoCorrect and TextExpander. The only other program running in the background is Default Folder.

My first inclination is to uninstall/reinstall Word but I'm afraid if I do that I will lose the formatting options( like Styles) that i have customized. I'm also inclined to remove normal.dotm and start fresh, but everyone knows that is not a simple procedure in Word for Mac although it should be.

I would appreciate any and all advice because these problems are severely hampering my ability to get my project finished in time. It is not unusual for Word to stop responding every couple of hours or so.

Thanks in advance.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
It's been a while since I had this problem with Word 2011, centered on a Normal template from a client into a Mac belonging to an employee of mine. It turned out that the Permissions were not set to allow that Mac user to Read/Write to the imported Normal template. I quit Word, modified the Normal file's Permissions to include the user, used Disk Utility to Repair Permissions (may or may not be necessary), opened Word and didn't have any more issues.

Check the Normal file (I open it in TextEdit) to check any of the fonts are/aren't installed - Word can be finicky with fonts sometimes. Also, check to see whether Excel/PowerPoint, if they're installed, run - if they don't you've got bigger issues. If one or more fonts are listed in the Normal template but aren't installed, install the required font(s).

Read the following two MS threads if the above doesn't work for you:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-default/2f1d2270-e5c9-4301-bfe5-e6d1fefb9f12 (see Daniel's post...)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2027586

kenglade07

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2013
Many thanks, campguy. Both Excel and PP opened so I moved on to the link on how to incrementally reset Word. That looks more practical thank trying to reinstall Office.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.