Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

javiN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2014
Hi, I'm a new user here. I want to say bye to my s*** Android phone, and I'm undecided between iOS and Windows Phone. I don't use any other Apple product (I own a Surface Pro like laptop-tablet). Can you give me some reason to buy an iPhone, considering this will be my only Apple product? I will very thankful for your help.

Crichton333

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2014
Between iPhone and WP8 the first thing that comes to mind is way more apps from Apple. I would choose iPhone one way or the other, I have a Lumia for the last 6 months and its ok but not amazing like the iPhone.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
Best build quality of any smartphone and awesome & user-friendly OS/apps. In addition you get also the best support.

javiN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2014
Did you enjoy the experience before the lag or do you just want something different? Because there are newer android devices available that could possibly satisfy your needs as well.

Definitley not, in fact I have never pay an app (except Whatsapp, very important in Spain) because I know I will not satisfied, because the phone itself is pooring optimized.

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
Definitley not, in fact I have never pay an app (except Whatsapp, very important in Spain) because I know I will not satisfied, because the phone itself is pooring optimized.

Then you definitely need to go with iOS, windows phones are, a shame, cheap phones with a weak os.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Then you definitely need to go with iOS, windows phones are, a shame, cheap phones with a weak os.

What are you even talking about, there are premium WP8 phones and WP8 is a great operating system.

javiN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2014

Well, the only problem I see to Windows Phone is their app developers comunity (except some exceptions). But I'm very concerned about battery durability in iPhone 5S. I want use my brand new smartphone full use, without disable anything except GPS.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012

Any of the 3 OS's on mid to high range phones offer a smooth OS experience. I recommend that you go in to a shop to see which phones you like instead of coming on an iPhone forum and exspecting any other answer then get an iphone.

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
You'd probably be fine going either way considering you've only ever purchased one app. WP8 is a great operating system with it's biggest weakness being it's app selection.

I've been on iOS since it's inception and my family and I are deeply rooted in the apple ecosystem and iCloud which is why I could never permanently make the switch but as has been said, WP has some pretty nice devices available.

As has also been said, visit your nearest carrier store and tinker with both. Make your decision based on what you find there rather than the opinions of other people. I see people here regularly saying how amazing Android is and how it doesn't lag but my experiences are always the opposite (this is an opinion, not argument bait so please don't attack me on this point).

javiN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2014
Any of the 3 OS's on mid to high range phones offer a smooth OS experience. I recommend that you go in to a shop to see which phones you like instead of coming on an iPhone forum and exspecting any other answer then get an iphone.

Well, sorry if I offended you, but that it's exactily like I want. I want reasons for buy an iPhone. But you are some right, I think it's better go to the Apple Shop and ask about benefits of an iPhone.

----------

You'd probably be fine going either way considering you've only ever purchased one app. WP8 is a great operating system with it's biggest weakness being it's app selection.

I've been on iOS since it's inception and my family and I are deeply rooted in the apple ecosystem and iCloud which is why I could never permanently make the switch but as has been said, WP has some pretty nice devices available.

As has also been said, visit your nearest carrier store and tinker with both. Make your decision based on what you find there rather than the opinions of other people. I see people here regularly saying how amazing Android is and how it doesn't lag but my experiences are always the opposite (this is an opinion, not argument bait so please don't attack me on this point).

You're 100% right, thank you for the advice.

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
Well, sorry if I offended you, but that it's exactily like I want. I want reasons for buy an iPhone. But you are some right, I think it's better go to the Apple Shop and ask about benefits of an iPhone.

----------

You're welcome and good luck! Make sure you come back and let us know what you ended up getting!

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Because it's nearly 3 years old, and it's laggy like a hell, even with cuestoms ROMS.

I suggest you purchase either a 5c or 5s. 5c design is beautiful and is best to go completely naked (without a case). 5s is elegant and classy especially in gold but you'll probably want a case with it.

Software wise, iOS 7 will work perfectly and smoothly and you're guaranteed iOS 8 and 9.

Windows phone is iffy, there's no predictability with their software and hardware.

Windows Phone 8 is nice but it's up to you.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
Hi, I'm a new user here. I want to say bye to my s*** Android phone, and I'm undecided between iOS and Windows Phone. I don't use any other Apple product (I own a Surface Pro like laptop-tablet). Can you give me some reason to buy an iPhone, considering this will be my only Apple product? I will very thankful for your help.

The primary difference between Apple and Android is quality.

Apple has highly optimized it's OS for their hardware, so a 1GB phone with a geek bench score of 2300 can be twice as responsive as anything with with twice the ram and the same processing speed.

The thing is that the iPhone is the fastest phone in the world by a long shot in the real world. Yes there are android devices that have up to 14% more processing power total than the iPhone 5S, but the iPhone has 50% more single core processing power (according to geek bench) than any other android device made, period.

So when you combine an OS that is twice as optimized and cores that are 50% faster than anything else, you get insanely responsive performance. There are few desktop applications that make use of multiple cores on a desktop, so on a mobile platform the single core performance difference being so huge shows a big difference.

Graphics wise the iPhone 5S is also much better, it has 8 times more gigaflops of graphics processing power than any other mobile phone. That's a huge difference.

Apple's applications are also much better. Android is a virus filled crash fest. The closed eco system of Apple controls viruses, which are a huge issue for Android. Several of the top apps for Android have been viruses or scams, even the top paid anti virus for Android was actually a scam, which is crazy. There are no anti virus applications for iOS because it doesn't have this issue. and the fact that Apple makes it's own hardware means that there are way fewer sets of hardware to program for. Android programs really have compatibility problems.

Camera wise the iPhone has the lowest noise images by a huge margin compared to any other phone, thanks to their use of a larger sensor and digital stabilization, which nobody else does. Every phone can take great photos in good lighting currently, but the iPhone 5S is 8 times better in low light than any other phone on the market (excluding the Samsung Galaxy Camera, which runs android). This means that the iPhone 5S is the only phone worth using to take photos indoors, and in my experience the only one that gives worthwhile results. There is a very noticeably difference having 8 times less noise.

Apple also has way more apps, and higher quality apps. If you want a unique app, chances are it's iOS only.

Other than that the build quality and fingerprint sensor are a huge deal. Apple is the only company that does a full finger sub dermal scan. It's 4 times faster than entering a pass code, which is great. And the build quality is second to none, along with the size being very pocketable.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012

Do you write advertisements for Apple?

Half of what you said is not even true. And you wasted your time anyway as if you had read the first post you would of read that the OP is considering WP8 and iOS...

----------

----------

You mentioned you were interested in Windows Phones as well as iOS devices.

Last edited:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Works with minimal fuss. Few bugs. Very easy to use. An absolute ton of accessories. Good battery life (usually). Intuitive. Fingerprint sensor is brilliant.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012

The iPhone is the best smartphone on the market bar none. The others are pretenders to the throne. Battery life is good as I go all day without charging with all features turned on. Don't let the battery threads here scare you. Most folks have perfectly working phones and don't visit MacRumors.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I switched 8 months ago and I'm glad I did. I still complain a lot because there's so much that still can be improved in iOS. I switched for the lack of lag, the high quality components, especially the microphone, and for the exceptional software stability. I'm very unhappy with the arbitrary lack of swype keyboard and global sound EQ.

BEAR IN MIND it will take you about 2 months minimum to find ways to work around all the arbitrary apple restrictions to do what you normally did in android, and also just to generally figure out where all the subtle UI features are because they are non-obvious to an android person. After that I predict you will be in love.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.