Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aberdeenandy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Hi, I need some advice from a networking guru as I'm struggling to reconfigure my home network and internet.

Where I live I cannot get internet over cable or ADSL (at least nothing above 0.5mbps) so I've been relying on a 3G connection.

I've purchased a spare iphone 5 with an unlimited data contract and tethering to use at home for my internet but I want to use this over a wifi network through my AirPort Extreme.

What I'm trying to do is use an airport express to share my phone's personal hotspot wifi directly to my AirPort Extreme over Ethernet then use the AirPort Extreme to create a separate wifi network for the house to providing internet and other network services so I can stream video and audio internally in the house.

When I connect it up in this way the AirPort Extreme seems to be connected one minute hen off the next and so on, I'm wondering if it's some sort of double NAT problem?

To be honest I'm know very little about networking so I'm hoping someone here will be able to offer me some advice!

Thanks,

Andy

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hi, I need some advice from a networking guru as I'm struggling to reconfigure my home network and internet.

Where I live I cannot get internet over cable or ADSL (at least nothing above 0.5mbps) so I've been relying on a 3G connection.

I've purchased a spare iphone 5 with an unlimited data contract and tethering to use at home for my internet but I want to use this over a wifi network through my AirPort Extreme.

What I'm trying to do is use an airport express to share my phone's personal hotspot wifi directly to my AirPort Extreme over Ethernet then use the AirPort Extreme to create a separate wifi network for the house to providing internet and other network services so I can stream video and audio internally in the house.

When I connect it up in this way the AirPort Extreme seems to be connected one minute hen off the next and so on, I'm wondering if it's some sort of double NAT problem?

To be honest I'm know very little about networking so I'm hoping someone here will be able to offer me some advice!

Thanks,

Andy

Ideally you would get a dedicated 3G modem. However, your main problem will be getting this all configured. This setup is definitely not supported but I will try to assist you.

Start by resetting all of the base stations. Then, set up the AirPort Express. Then go to the Wireless Tab in AirPort Utility and turn the wireless off. While in AirPort Utility, set the network mode to DHCP and NAT!

Then run an Ethernet cable from the LAN port of the Express to the WAN port of the Extreme and set it up to create a network. Once the setup is complete, go to the Network tab and select DHCP and NAT. It will throw a double NAT error, but you can ignore it in this situation.

Try my steps and report back.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
You need a 3G modem to do that. This person is trying to use an iPhone as the modem.

For 40 quid a 3G modem is a no brainer, whip the sim out of the phone and whack it in the router. Then sell the spare iPhone and be sitting pretty. We use 3G modem routers for a couple of clients who have remote CCTV equipment where they cannot get adsl etc and they do a good job.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
For 40 quid a 3G modem is a no brainer, whip the sim out of the phone and whack it in the router. Then sell the spare iPhone and be sitting pretty. We use 3G modem routers for a couple of clients who have remote CCTV equipment where they cannot get adsl etc and they do a good job.

Sure it's a no brainer but he may be on a plan with unlimited tethering. In which it could not just be swapped into a 3G modem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.