Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Micho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2002
Its going to take a recompile of every shareware freeware and comercial app to get X on a 86 platform... and then back again after 1/2 of everybody is using an 86 box, unless of corse steveys worked his magic again (and it would be M_A_G_I_C)
maybe an Xserve - cut some of the overhead- not many people need docklings when running > a half gig of throughput.
Maybe a PPC chip from AMD altough I think we'd hear a little more about it.
More likely I, in my humble opinion of corse, think we'll see something from IBM you dont just give the finger to all your old cronys at the drop of the hat, then again its pretty damn obvious motorola is in need of a long due kick in the A**.

64 bits would be nice but so would a quantum computer with a 20 Terabyte solid state hard drive and wet flow line, incidently non of these technologys are quite ready for the holiday season.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Re: AMD and Apple

Originally posted by Micho
Its going to take a recompile of every shareware freeware and comercial app to get X on a 86 platform...

I am not sure... It might be possible for Apple to make the OS so that a good deal of software wouldn't need recompiling.

Micho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2002
HMMM

There has already been some loss of compatiblity from the jag switch, I geuss there could be a VM imbeded at a low level but it seems unlikely (not to mention pretty hard to do) that this could be done with 100% results.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Re: HMMM

Originally posted by Micho
There has already been some loss of compatiblity from the jag switch, I geuss there could be a VM imbeded at a low level but it seems unlikely (not to mention pretty hard to do) that this could be done with 100% results.
Apples and oranges, pardon the pun. Each new version of MacOS will be incompatible with a subset of available MacOS applications and utilities. A switch of processor families will render 100% of existing software incompatible. It is the difference between spilling a glass of water on the floor and having a flood cover your roof.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.