Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't plex/plex connect, as well as Beamer, basically convert all these different formats on the fly to ATV or iPad or whatever, every time you play it? What are you really gaining vs a Handbrake encode? With a HB encode you do it once. Looking for info. Thanks...

The benefit is this scenario:

Let says you have 600 movies in your hard drive. You're not sure which one to watch. If you go Handbrake route, you need to first encode 'all' of them even though you may end up watching just 30 or 40 ones (before you get another 20 new movies you might want to watch instead). But if you go Beamer route, you don't have to do all the hard work initially but let the app do the hard work once you're sure what the movie to watch on the night. With new machine, the re-converting process almost always happen in real time. And you still have the original file, which has the best quality.
The downside of course is it's not simple enough because you're not completely in the Apple eco-system.

Bayshun

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2014
My HTPC can: run everything my Apple TV could, act as an AirPlay receiver (using AirServer), play blu-rays/DVDs, play all of my file formats, use any digital download service (not just iTunes), function as a DVR; and I just recently installed SteamOS beta on a second partition so I can stream PC games from my gaming desktop (which works pretty well depending on the game).

I used to have an Apple TV, but since I built my HTPC I haven't touched it. Apple TV is more straight forward and easier to use, but an HTPC has a world of more customization and flexibility that make it well worth the additional effort.
I don't see how anyone with any know how can prefer an Apple TV to an HTPC unless all they want is a zero effort setup, but they'd be missing out on so much.

StinDaWg

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
my htpc can: Run everything my apple tv could, act as an airplay receiver (using airserver), play blu-rays/dvds, play all of my file formats, use any digital download service (not just itunes), function as a dvr; and i just recently installed steamos beta on a second partition so i can stream pc games from my gaming desktop (which works pretty well depending on the game).

I used to have an apple tv, but since i built my htpc i haven't touched it. Apple tv is more straight forward and easier to use, but an htpc has a world of more customization and flexibility that make it well worth the additional effort.
I don't see how anyone with any know how can prefer an apple tv to an htpc unless all they want is a zero effort setup, but they'd be missing out on so much.
qft

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
I read on the Apple forums that FW 6.1 solved Airplay problems for some people. Anyone here having the same experience? (I am asking because I downgraded to FW 5.3 to solve my Airplay problems)

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't plex/plex connect, as well as Beamer, basically convert all these different formats on the fly to ATV or iPad or whatever, every time you play it? What are you really gaining vs a Handbrake encode? With a HB encode you do it once. Looking for info. Thanks...

For me, I use Beamer for stuff I've downloaded to watch, and either a) want to watch right now, or b) don't plan on keeping.

Especially B. Even stuff in iTunes compatible formats...I just right click -> Open in Beamer and boom it's going, rather than having to load it into itunes first.

It's just quick and convenient.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I'm looking into buying a Apple TV but the buyers guide says you should hold off since it hasn't been updated in two years.

Now, unlike the Mac and iPads, I don't have much experience with the Apple TV and I'm wondering what Apple could add to it in the next update. So, are you guys expecting anything in the new model you'd surely miss if you bought the current one?

On the first page, I read that it doesn't support mkv codec, but can't you just play that movie on your MacBook and Airplay it to your tv?

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I'm looking into buying a Apple TV but the buyers guide says you should hold off since it hasn't been updated in two years.

Now, unlike the Mac and iPads, I don't have much experience with the Apple TV and I'm wondering what Apple could add to it in the next update. So, are you guys expecting anything in the new model you'd surely miss if you bought the current one?

On the first page, I read that it doesn't support mkv codec, but can't you just play that movie on your MacBook and Airplay it to your tv?

There is a host of speculation on what the next Apple TV will bring. Apple bought a lot of tech companies last year like Primesense, which made Kinex for Microsoft. So rumors such gaming has been much talked about.

Check the Macrumors section dedicated to the Apple TV.

As for MKV, you could look into using Plexconnect which will play that. Or transcode the audio and load them into itunes.

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
So, are you guys expecting anything in the new model you'd surely miss if you bought the current one?

I was faced with the same decision you have. Months ago, I just decided I didn't feel like waiting for an unknown amount of time for a possible super new feature I don't know now that I can't live without, so when Apple next had refurb models in stock ($75) I got one. If an ATV4 comes with something super great, I figure I can use the 3 in another room, or sell it for at least $50 or so.

On the second point, as I've said a few times in this thread :D , if you've got a lot of investment in MKV, Beamer is a really great app. (I need to see if those guys will give me a job shilling for them:D )

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
There is a host of speculation on what the next Apple TV will bring. Apple bought a lot of tech companies last year like Primesense, which made Kinex for Microsoft. So rumors such gaming has been much talked about.

Check the Macrumors section dedicated to the Apple TV.

As for MKV, you could look into using Plexconnect which will play that. Or transcode the audio and load them into itunes.

Thanks for the reply, I've looked into that, but seems like the latest update patched the plexonnect.

I was faced with the same decision you have. Months ago, I just decided I didn't feel like waiting for an unknown amount of time for a possible super new feature I don't know now that I can't live without, so when Apple next had refurb models in stock () I got one. If an ATV4 comes with something super great, I figure I can use the 3 in another room, or sell it for at least or so.

On the second point, as I've said a few times in this thread :D , if you've got a lot of investment in MKV, Beamer is a really great app. (I need to see if those guys will give me a job shilling for them:D )

Yeah, getting it right away is probably the least painful choice, you'll be using it right away, and may there be a new one soon, you can always resell the current one. :p

As for mkv, will a AirPlay mirrored mkv movie play smoothly without apps like Beamer? I know you can't really use your Mac while you're playing the movie, since everything you do will be mirrored to your tv.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Why are people still spending the ridiculous amounts of work converting an MKV takes when you can leave it in the (usually) smaller MKV format and play it just fine?

Because it's NOT a ridiculous anount of work. It only takes a couple of minutes to convert mkv containers to mp4. Why are people spending money to get out of a couple minutes conversion time? From mkv to mp4 the video is not converted, the container is. Very different if you use the right program. MP4Tools is one that converts without re encoding which is far different and MUCH quicker than using programs that re encode like handbrake that you are obviously talking about.

Last edited:

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
2) Loosing connection with my iTunes library
I am plagued by this problem for over a year now. I have to go upstairs and wake up my iMac and restart iTunes to get things working. I tried numerous solutions but nothing helped. Maybe it has something to do with my ISP router and my Airport Extreme in bridge mode.

I had this problem, but this solution solved it for me:

Open a terminal and type:

sudo pmset -a womp 1

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2005
Because it's NOT a ridiculous anount of work. It only takes a couple of minutes to convert mkv containers to mp4. Why are people spending money to get out of a couple minutes conversion time? From mkv to mp4 the video is not converted, the container is. Very different if you use the right program. MP4Tools is one that converts without re encoding which is far different and MUCH quicker than using programs that re encode like handbrake that you are obviously talking about.

MP4Tools is pretty good and I have used those container stripper programs. I know the difference between stripping a file out of the container and re-encoding (which is, as you've said... insane). But MKVs have major advantages like multiple audio soundtracks, lossless multichannel audio, the list goes on. These are often very hard to strip out of the container, and even if you can extract the audio files correctly, they often demux to stereo and you lose the multichannel. If you don't care about multichannel or lossless sound, this is not an issue. But MKVs allow multiple tracks of audio and subtitle options that are far more robust then the MP4 format offers.

----------

Thanks for the reply, I've looked into that, but seems like the latest update patched the plexonnect.
As for mkv, will a AirPlay mirrored mkv movie play smoothly without apps like Beamer? I know you can't really use your Mac while you're playing the movie, since everything you do will be mirrored to your tv.

Beamer is $15. It's $15. It plays MKVs in full 1080P with 5.1 sound in tact. It's awesome. We're not talking about serious money here.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
My HTPC can: run everything my Apple TV could, act as an AirPlay receiver (using AirServer), play blu-rays/DVDs, play all of my file formats, use any digital download service (not just iTunes), function as a DVR; and I just recently installed SteamOS beta on a second partition so I can stream PC games from my gaming desktop (which works pretty well depending on the game).

I used to have an Apple TV, but since I built my HTPC I haven't touched it. Apple TV is more straight forward and easier to use, but an HTPC has a world of more customization and flexibility that make it well worth the additional effort.
I don't see how anyone with any know how can prefer an Apple TV to an HTPC unless all they want is a zero effort setup, but they'd be missing out on so much.
Interesting. I have never heard of Airserver. One of the main reasons I prefer AppleTV is the Airplay (video and mirroring) feature. I will have to look into this app.

I also have a Roku and I like the fact that I can easily launch Vudu, Amazon Prime, and Spotify without leaving the interface (the Roku app will let me choose them right from an iOS device also it integrates into the Roomie app that I have started using). Also, dealing with broken apps is a major downside to the convenience of Plex and XBMC. I would like to know how you get around some of these issues. I can't see anyone in the family wanting to sit down and watch Hulu or Amazon Prime and the apps don't work because they were locked out of Plex/XBMC. With a Roku, I know they will work.

I am using the mac mini for XBMC since I use an AppleTV3 in the living room now. The AppleTV2s are around the house and run XBMC and ATV Flash.

The main upside to the AppleTV is that I can spend $99 and have access in any room. It would get expensive to add a mini or HTPC to every room in the house.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
MKVs allow multiple tracks of audio and subtitle options that are far more robust then the MP4 format offers.

This is true, but left unsaid is that MP4Tools repackages MKV files into exactly the components that the Apple TV needs, with no loss of fidelity or functionality for that platform. If you want to use iTunes to manage your content, MP4Tools is the thing to get you there.

A.

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
This is true, but left unsaid is that MP4Tools repackages MKV files into exactly the components that the Apple TV needs, with no loss of fidelity or functionality for that platform. If you want to use iTunes to manage your content, MP4Tools is the thing to get you there.

A.

Couldn't agree more! I don't use iTunes to manage my library but we are an apple friendly household so ill use mp4tools then run it through iFlicks 2. 5-10 minutes at most per movie. Less for tv shows!

rosiel122

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2014
Midwest
I've been on the HTPC train for a while trying to set something up that "just works"... In other words to be wife proof.

The first issue was getting the TV tuner card working outside of Windows Media Center. I liked XBMC and Plex, but hulu and Netflix support was abysmal. Everything was buggy. The closest I came to something working was xbmcbuntu (after we got rid of cable and sacrificed netflix).

The next issue was the remote control. I had an Imon VFD remote come with the computer case I bought for the HTPC, but when I moved on to an integrated home media system with a Logitech harmony remote... It was horrible dealing with. After tweaking settings for awhile I just said screw it.

We bought a Roku, which had issues with Hulu but otherwise worked fine. Returned it and got an Apple TV. I hate how limited it is, and I've spent who knows how many hours converting video files to all be mp4/m4v, but it is the closest thing to being wife proof. Especially since I deploy for the military for 3 month rotations and all the computer problems happen when I am gone.

I have found the combination of makeMKV --> handbrake --> metaz/metax is really effective. And once you get past the initial hurdle of converting what you have, converting new discs or less than legal files is pretty easy.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
. . .

But what the AppleTV does have that is a MASSIVE advantage over the other set top boxes is the best way to stream your own content to the TV. That is 90% of what I do. I have an encode collection of about 800 movies (100 in HD) and about 3500 TV episodes and I have yet to find any kind of box that puts those encodes on my TV screen with anywhere near the ease the AppleTV does. The only way I have seen on the Roku to do with is Plex, but it makes no sense to me to upload my content so I can download it to watch it, when it is sitting on drives 25 feet from the TV. It just doesn't make sense to use the internet bandwidth when I can just stream locally. Also, the Plex interface is more customizeable, but not so much that it makes any noticeable difference to iTunes.

I have read a lot of people complaining about iTunes being clunky and not being able to work with lots of different file formats, but I have never felt restricted by this issue. I just encode everything into .mp4/.m4v format and have never had any issue with conversion or file quality.

So I have to ask this, is there something I am missing with all these other streaming box options? Is there a local content option on the Roku or even a Chromecast (which I had for 2 days and promptly returned) that I have missed that makes these devices superior to the AppleTV? Are the other file formats (.avi, .flv or .mkv) I can't use because I am AppleTV locked really that much greater?

I am open to the possibility of something greater than the AppleTV, but I just haven't seen it as existing yet.

I guess in response to the bolded portion, this is the WEAKEST area of the Apple TV for me. It is honestly this failure that has held me back from buying one so far, as attractive as all the other parts of the ecosystem are, especially playing my iTunes/Pictures content. The WDTV is massively superior to the Apple TV in this respect, but is obv nowhere near as seamless with the apple content chain.

The restriction on file formats is just unacceptable to me, but I completely understand it from a business standpoint - why support file types you aren't selling?

I am also WAY way past the time in my life when I would waste hours and hours recoding my files to work with the Apple TV. I just incorporate devices in my media chain that will play anything and that way I'm done converting anything.

My WDTV has been awesome and I've owned them since they came out. They've gotten better each iteration (though they definitely have their own warts, as all devices do). The one weak spot I see now is Hulu and they don't seem intent on fixing it properly based on the various forum threads I see across the internet.

But as far as file support, I have thousands of video files and I can count on one hand the files the WDTV has been unable to play, almost always down to a user error on encoding.

If you are already set up on the Apple TV and content to keep getting compatible content, then I guess you are set. For those of us with a more diverse file set, there is NO WAY I'm spending the time to convert so the Apple TV will recognize them.

That said, I 100% intend to eventually get one, but holding off till they update, hopefully sooner than later.

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
With AppleTV, I run Plex through the trailers application. With things like PlexConnect out there, you can have your entire media library now on all your Apple devices. And plex remembers where you left off on each of them as well.

I encode everything to mkv and store them on our NAS. Plex maps it all and when I watch movies do so using Plex. On the AppleTV, I go through the trailers application. If my network is finicky for whatever reason, I AirPlay from the iPad or iPhone application and the quality is just fine (As you can fine tune it in settings).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.