Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA
Anyone having success with an app designed to limit data collection and tracking patterns in your browser? Like LightBeam for Firefox (not available for iOS). I've heard good things about Ghostery for Safari on the iPad. Any success in this endeavor? Other privacy tools?

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
Ghostery isn't on the iPad as Apple does not allow third-party addons to run on mobile Safari.

The best thing to do if you want to run native Safari on iOS is to go to Settings > Safari > Toggle Do Not Track

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA
Ghostery isn't on the iPad as Apple does not allow third-party addons to run on mobile Safari.

The best thing to do if you want to run native Safari on iOS is to go to Settings > Safari > Toggle Do Not Track

It's on the iPad (Ghostery), I've installed it.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
You can use Tor browser or purchase a private VPN service. Those will scramble your IP but I assume you already know that avoiding aggregators and crawlers is much different than avoiding detection from data scoopers who used Prism and Bullrun to compromise Level 3. You can also use encryption architecture if you are privy to them. But even then I would be very cautious. The Narus traffic analyzer was in use up to a couple of years ago. Fiber optic deep packet sniffers are still in use around the country. Sorry I am not of more help.

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA
You can use Tor browser or purchase a private VPN service. Those will scramble your IP but I assume you already know that avoiding aggregators and crawlers is much different than avoiding detection from data scoopers who used Prism and Bullrun to compromise Level 3. You can also use encryption architecture if you are privy to them. But even then I would be very cautious. The Narus traffic analyzer was in use up to a couple of years ago. Fiber optic deep packet sniffers are still in use around the country. Sorry I am not of more help.

Still, helpful alternatives, thank you.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
There are the obvious steps of blocking cookies and turning on private browsing, but those could potentially inconvenience you more than it's worth. YMMV, I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.