Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fernk88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2014
England
Yes it happened to me, I always have phone in my handbag but this weekend we went to the beach so I wanted my phone to take pics of kiddies. Put it in back pocket and I totally forgot it was there and it fell in loo ### I'm so distraught as it was in mint condition, and insurance won't cover water damage I'm stuck paying £30 a month for nothing.
Tried all the usual put it in bag of rice, which everyone swears by but my luck it doesn't work.
When put it on charge and I move the mute button on the side there is a vibration so my hubby wondered if it is just the screen that has gone?
Any help I would love!! Can't afford a new one.

desi1

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
England
Same thing happened with me, fell down the loo and then instantly put it in rice. Started working fine 2 days later so maybe give it some time. However after about 4 months it started playing up and the battery gave up. Thankfully the insurance covered water damage.

If you're lucky enough that the water sensors haven't been activated then it might be worth a trip to the Apple store to see if they can replace the phone.

Superman80

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2011
London
Can you afford an OOW replacement from apple, depending on the model the following in store costs apply:

Phone 5s, iPhone 5c,iPhone 5 £ 209.00
iPhone 4s £ 159.00
iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G £ 119.00

If you cant get to the shop then there is a £7.44 additional charge for postage

Chief87

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2014
Ireland!
You can get self repair kits for water damage on ebay might be worth a look! It's not actually the water that causes damage but the particles in the water...so hopefully you dropped it before you done the business ;)

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
Can you afford an OOW replacement from apple, depending on the model the following in store costs apply:

Phone 5s, iPhone 5c,iPhone 5 £ 209.00
iPhone 4s £ 159.00
iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G £ 119.00

If you cant get to the shop then there is a £7.44 additional charge for postage

This is probably your best bet.

You can get self repair kits for water damage on ebay might be worth a look! It's not actually the water that causes damage but the particles in the water...so hopefully you dropped it before you done the business ;)

Close. Distilled, or pure, water conducts electricity but is very resistant to doing so. Non distilled water, which is what comes out of the tap, is found in toilets/loo, the ocean, rivers, etc DOES conduct electricity. The water itself doesn't conduct it but the impurities (salt, minerals, etc) in it do.

Typically if putting the phone (hopefully powered off) in a bag of rice or silica for 48-72 hours doesn't do the trick then there's a good chance corrosion has already set in. Anything can be repaired but this is typically a case where the cost of replacement makes much more sense than attempting to repair.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
I've thankfully never dropped my phone in any water, but I have heard from a couple of sources to leave it in the rice for a few days. I've never heard of a case when the rice didnt work---and something else did.

I'm from the US, and I'm not sure what options you have in Britain, but when I dropped my one phone on the ground, making the screen go black, I got a "go phone" at a store here for like $10 (not sure what that translates to for you) and it worked perfectly for a while until i was eligible for an upgrade.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Yes it happened to me, I always have phone in my handbag but this weekend we went to the beach so I wanted my phone to take pics of kiddies. Put it in back pocket and I totally forgot it was there and it fell in loo ### I'm so distraught as it was in mint condition, and insurance won't cover water damage I'm stuck paying £30 a month for nothing.
Tried all the usual put it in bag of rice, which everyone swears by but my luck it doesn't work.
When put it on charge and I move the mute button on the side there is a vibration so my hubby wondered if it is just the screen that has gone?
Any help I would love!! Can't afford a new one.

What's a loo? Is that one of those holes in the ground you dump things in? Can't you get a replacement by paying some fee, without having to purchase full price?

wookiee2cu

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2009
What's a loo? Is that one of those holes in the ground you dump things in? Can't you get a replacement by paying some fee, without having to purchase full price?

Loo is a term for toilet in European countries. To the OP, if the rice bag trick doesn't work after a few days then your only options are to purchase a refurb or used one; this will at least save you some money compared to having to purchase a new one out right. Might be able to find a good deal on a 4S or 5 on the used market, good luck.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
Loo is a term for toilet in European countries. To the OP, if the rice bag trick doesn't work after a few days then your only options are to purchase a refurb or used one; this will at least save you some money compared to having to purchase a new one out right. Might be able to find a good deal on a 4S or 5 on the used market, good luck.

Yeah, that is a good option. If my suggestion (with the go phone) above can't work for you- there are like millions of people selling their old phones on amazon and ebay. Look for one in your price range that ships to Europe, and go from there. Fairly simple solution :)

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
You are provably sol.
Then again why do people insist of putting the phone in their back pockets? I see it all the time and it just boggles my mind. Mostly women girls. I mean if you cant put it in a front pocket then your jeans are too tight.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
You are provably sol.
Then again why do people insist of putting the phone in their back pockets? I see it all the time and it just boggles my mind. Mostly women girls. I mean if you cant put it in a front pocket then your jeans are too tight.

This! Personally I can't stand having stuff in back pockets. I wonder why pants even HAVE them. Plus, if you put your wallet there you're likely to get pickpocketed in a crowd.

Side pockets are the only ones that make sense.

Crichton333

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2014
This! Personally I can't stand having stuff in back pockets. I wonder why pants even HAVE them. Plus, if you put your wallet there you're likely to get pickpocketed in a crowd.

Side pockets are the only ones that make sense.

If I want something lost I put it in my back pocket :) still miss my wallet I lost on a camping trip when I was 9. It was big and yellow and had a camel on it.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
That is a problem with these expensive phones; they do get stolen/broken. Best advice I can give is to be mindful that there are bad people who want to steal your phone, and also that they are easy to break. Just take daily precautions, and try to keep a more inexpensive phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.