Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPCW!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2014
Hi,
I have an iMac and a MacBook Pro on my LAN, both running Mavericks. On both Macs there are one or more shared folders which I access from the other Mac over the LAN.

Also, on both Macs my user info is identical: Same name, same password. I was hoping that by having identical users on both Macs I would be able to give myself Read & Write permissions to the shared folders even when accessing from the other Mac across the LAN. But it does not work, I only have Read access, which is what Everyone has. I suppose I could give Read & Write access to Everyone but I'd rather not do that on a shared folder.

Is it possible to give Read & Write access to a shared folder for a non-local user? If so, how?

Thanks,
Bill

SPCW!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2014
Anyone? Is it possible, when simply using shared folders without a server, to give a non-local account Read & Write permissions to a folder, without giving Everyone Read & Write Permissions?

Thanks.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
If you are using File Sharing (in the Sharing tab in System Preferences), then you should connect to that share from your other Mac as the local user on the Mac that has the share. Click on the share name in the sidebar (then click connect as), or press CMD+K from Finder and enter the SMB/AFP share address of your other Mac and authenticate.

Mac A | Mac B
User A | User B

You connect from Mac A to Mac B by authenticating as a user that exists on Mac B. Sounds like you are connecting as a guest or just viewing the public shared folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.