Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onkzzz

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2013
Coventry, England, UK
As some of you may know from my last post, I got my old 2005 iBook G4 working. It is on Tiger, but I want it on Leopard. I have the disc for Leopard but here is my dilemma (shortened):

1: Cannot boot from OS X Leopard Disc; won't show at boot manager (option key)
2: iBook doesn't mount disc when booted into Tiger
3: Other discs work fine!
4: Booting from USB isn't supported on it.
5: Saw this: Diskless Leopard Installation
6: Time Machine isn't in tiger.
7: Used Disk Utility instead.
8: Wanted to partition startup disk, but it says its not allowed.
9: Tried using root user, same issue.
10: Spent 10 hours doing all this, decided to come to MacRumors to all you fancy internet wizards of epicness.

So, there you have it. What I want to do is partition my Macintosh HD but I can't, since it won't let me. I want to install Leopard from a 10GB partition.
I EVEN HAVE 10GB FREE!
It just won't do it.
Please help.
-- onkzzz

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Unfortunately, you cannot partition the startup disk in Tiger. Leopard was the first to allow it. You will have to boot from another DVD and use it's partition manager. If you have 10.4.4 or later Tiger disks, you can non destructively partition, I believe.

onkzzz

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2013
Coventry, England, UK
Unfortunately, you cannot partition the startup disk in Tiger. Leopard was the first to allow it. You will have to boot from another DVD and use it's partition manager. If you have 10.4.4 or later Tiger disks, you can non destructively partition, I believe.

So, could there be another way of installing?
I really want Leopard and I have everything I need to upgrade.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
So, could there be another way of installing?
I really want Leopard and I have everything I need to upgrade.

If you have a PowerPC Linux liveCD you could boot up and use its disk utility to partition your startup disk non-destructively, but if you don't have one, don't go to the trouble of making one. I would try your luck at USB booting. It's iffy for me and some people, but many have accomplished it. I would look into it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=i4LW_PxnBmLkqu5yPRV2_g&bvm=bv.67720277,d.cGU

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
As some of you may know from my last post, I got my old 2005 iBook G4 working. It is on Tiger, but I want it on Leopard. I have the disc for Leopard but here is my dilemma (shortened):

1: Cannot boot from OS X Leopard Disc; won't show at boot manager (option key)
2: iBook doesn't mount disc when booted into Tiger
3: Other discs work fine!
4: Booting from USB isn't supported on it.
5: Saw this: Diskless Leopard Installation
6: Time Machine isn't in tiger.
7: Used Disk Utility instead.
8: Wanted to partition startup disk, but it says its not allowed.
9: Tried using root user, same issue.
10: Spent 10 hours doing all this, decided to come to MacRumors to all you fancy internet wizards of epicness.

So, there you have it. What I want to do is partition my Macintosh HD but I can't, since it won't let me. I want to install Leopard from a 10GB partition.
I EVEN HAVE 10GB FREE!
It just won't do it.
Please help.
-- onkzzz
Is your optical drive a combo drive? I.e., a CDROM drive and not a DVD drive?

If it's a DVD drive then know that some DVD drives don't like dual layer DVDs.

Your assumption in #4 is wrong. Some Macs will boot from USB without a problem. Personally, I have yet to find a model that will show a USB drive as a startup disk, but I'm told that this is possible.

In any case there's a way to work around this.

You need a Leopard install disk image and some sort of USB media. An external drive, a USB stick, etc.

1. There are instructions out there about how to get a disk image on to USB media via Disk Utility and the Restore option. Follow those directions. Once you have the USB media ready then do this:

2. Boot in to Open Firmware. CMD+O+F when booting your Mac.
3. Follow these instructions to book from your USB media.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

onkzzz

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2013
Coventry, England, UK
Update #1

I would try your luck at USB booting. It's iffy for me and some people, but many have accomplished it. I would look into it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=i4LW_PxnBmLkqu5yPRV2_g&bvm=bv.67720277,d.cGU

Thank you for the link my friend, I am trying it now.
:)

Your assumption in #4 is wrong. Some Macs will boot from USB without a problem. Personally, I have yet to find a model that will show a USB drive as a startup disk, but I'm told that this is possible.
I wasn't assuming, I was saying it because I tried it countless times.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I wasn't assuming, I was saying it because I tried it countless times.
So…you're saying that you have booted in to Open Firmware and tried to get your iBook to boot from USB following the instructions I linked to…and have failed every time?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
So…you're saying that you have booted in to Open Firmware and tried to get your iBook to boot from USB following the instructions I linked to…and have failed every time?

In my experience, some USB drives will not work at all with PPC Macs. Also, if this had some "enhanced software" coupled with it like the U3 Cruzer drives by SanDisk, it probably won't work. On my G4s and G5s I only ever got a PNY USB drive to work.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
I had a hard time getting my ibooks to boot from usb...did a ton of research and personal trial and error...this now works for me,

-command + option + O + F (to boot to open firmware)

now depending what usb port you have usb drive plugged into...

-boot usb0/disk@1:3,\\:tbxi
-boot usb1/disk@1:3,\\:tbxi

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
In my experience, some USB drives will not work at all with PPC Macs. Also, if this had some "enhanced software" coupled with it like the U3 Cruzer drives by SanDisk, it probably won't work. On my G4s and G5s I only ever got a PNY USB drive to work.
OK, I can see that. It works for me though simply because my externals are simply USB cases and bare hard drives and generic USB sticks.

I even had Leopard booting off an SD card inside my old Windows Mobile phone once.

onkzzz

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2013
Coventry, England, UK
Success

Update #2:

SUCCESS!
I used another USB drive, flashed it with Leopard and it works through Open Firmware.
Using:
boot usb1/disk@1:10,\System\Library\CoreServices\BootX

But now, another issue!
It won't install because it
"could not locate installer data"
I get past the "Select HDD" screen and press install, and a big yellow warning sign comes up with that error.
Do you think this is due to me deteting all other languages from the DMG?

(I did that to save space)

Last edited:

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
SUCCESS!
I used another USB drive, flashed it with Leopard and it works through Open Firmware.
Using:
boot usb1/disk@1:10,\System\Library\CoreServices\BootX

But now, another issue!
It won't install because it
"could not locate installer data"
I get past the "Select HDD" screen and press install, and a big yellow warning sign comes up with that error.

Great! I would leave everything from the ISO on the .DMG to be honest. Just to avoid any complications.

Btw, what USB are you using?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

I think so. You need a USB stick (or drive) that at minimum is 8GB. You want all the data on it, as jrsx mentioned.

onkzzz

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2013
Coventry, England, UK
I think so. You need a USB stick (or drive) that at minimum is 8GB. You want all the data on it, as jrsx mentioned.

Okay. It's getting a bit late here in the UK now so I will try tomorrow. Thanks for all the help guys! I really have had a solution every time I use these forums!

Great! I would leave everything from the ISO on the .DMG to be honest. Just to avoid any complications.

Btw, what USB are you using?

8GB SanDisk Cruzer Micro (non U3)

----------

Also, if this had some "enhanced software" coupled with it like the U3 Cruzer drives by SanDisk, it probably won't work...

Since I like tinkering with different OS's from time to time, I decided to get a SanDisk drive for reliability, but without the U3.
It really was worth the money.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.