Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HLxDrummer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2014
I tried replacing our iPhone 4S screen with an eBay one. The eBay one didn't fit and the screen didn't work. Tried one from Strive Mobile. It would only work if I plugged in the original, cracked screen then unplugged it and plugged in the replacement. Even when it did work, there was a white halo around the edge.

Called Strive Mobile and they sent a replacement screen. Same thing as the previous one.

If I plug in the replacement screen without using the original at all and I try to hard reset or power on, I just see a slight flickering of the screen. Looks like really low power backlight maybe.

The original screen works great other than being cracked so I am guessing my install is ok. All the features of the phone work, as well.

Any ideas? I've torn the phone apart a thousand times and I'm getting tired of messing with it. Did I do something wrong? Does Strive Mobile suck?

Silverrune

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2011
I tried replacing our iPhone 4S screen with an eBay one. The eBay one didn't fit and the screen didn't work. Tried one from Strive Mobile. It would only work if I plugged in the original, cracked screen then unplugged it and plugged in the replacement. Even when it did work, there was a white halo around the edge.

Called Strive Mobile and they sent a replacement screen. Same thing as the previous one.

If I plug in the replacement screen without using the original at all and I try to hard reset or power on, I just see a slight flickering of the screen. Looks like really low power backlight maybe.

The original screen works great other than being cracked so I am guessing my install is ok. All the features of the phone work, as well. I can't tell you if you are doing something wrong as you haven't included your procedure or anything I could base assumptions off of.

Any ideas? I've torn the phone apart a thousand times and I'm getting tired of messing with it. Did I do something wrong? Does Strive Mobile suck?

I've never heard of them before, if I was going to replace my screen myself I'd go to one place and one place only. iFixit.

eddiec312

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Miami, FL
If the original screen works good, then I'm afraid you're having terrible luck with replacement screens.

Depending on what your willing to do, you can find an IP5 on swappa for like $275 right now. Or you can risk another screen and buy one from ifixit and see how that goes.

HLxDrummer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2014
Just wanted to give an update. I think a couple of the screens were faulty but I think part of the problem was that the phone was on an old version of iOS. I updated that and installed the iFixIt screen and it flickered a little. Read somewhere it will go away with time and it did. I've been using the phone for a few weeks and it has been fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.