Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 27, 2014, 08:10 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Microsoft Demos Skype Translation Tool Coming Later This Year [Updated]

At today's Re/code Code Conference in Ranchos Palos Verdes, California, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella and Skype chief Gurdeep Singh Pall demoed an real-time language translation tool) that has been built into Skype.

During the demonstration, Pall conducted a conversation with a German-speaking colleague, with Skype providing real-time translation from German to English and vice versa. According to German speaking audience members at the conference, the translation software performed "pretty good" but not perfectly.

Nadella and Pall demo Skype Translator at the Code Conference
Quote:
Skype Translator results from decades of work by the industry, years of work by our researchers, and now is being developed jointly by the Skype and Microsoft Translator teams. The demo showed near real-time audio translation from English to German and vice versa, combining Skype voice and IM technologies with Microsoft Translator, and neural network-based speech recognition.
Microsoft hopes to use the huge number of conversations that take place on Skype to improve its translation tools with real language and speech patterns, which could lead to much better back and forth translations. Pall says the company is "working through" potential privacy issues that surround the use of customer calls.

While Microsoft plans to debut Skype Translate on the Windows platform later this year in a beta capacity, the company says that it will expand to other platforms, including OS X and iOS, shortly after the Windows version launches.
Quote:
Microsoft will start with a handful of languages and only for the Windows version of Skype, though Microsoft hopes to quickly add more languages as well as support for the many types of computers and mobile devices that Skype customers use.
At launch, the Skype translator will only work with a small number of languages, those that "it can do well" but Microsoft has plans to continually add additional languages to the app as development progresses.

Update: The full video of the demo has been released by Re/code and available above.

Article Link: Microsoft Demos Skype Translation Tool Coming Later This Year [Updated]
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014, 08:14 PM   #2
lotzosushi
macrumors regular

So...basically they're going to secretly record our conversations to help "improve" this translation service?

Edit: Reminds me of IBM's Watson, combining this translation tech with Cortana and Watson would be pretty crazy.

Last edited by lotzosushi; May 27, 2014 at 08:21 PM.
lotzosushi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014, 08:14 PM   #3
Santabean2000
macrumors 65816

Learning a new language will still be relevant, but man, this tech is cool. Huge possibilities in education.
Old May 27, 2014, 08:14 PM   #4
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
now we're getting close to a Universal Translator, though I continue to hold that you haven't heard Shakespeare until you have heard it in its original Klingon.
Old May 27, 2014, 08:15 PM   #5
Amacfa
macrumors 6502

Where is the video!
Amacfa is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014, 08:16 PM   #6
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Well played by Nadella. Less focus on his interview as everyone is talking about this. I'm still wondering what Federighi and Cue are going to talk about since they're not going to give away any WWDC stuff.
Old May 27, 2014, 08:16 PM   #7
jclo
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amacfa View Post
Where is the video!
Re/code is releasing the videos a bit later in the evening, but will update with one as soon as it's available.
jclo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014, 08:16 PM   #8
MacSince1990
macrumors 65816

Jesus. I mean, for once it's immediately very obvious how such a thing could be done, but WOW. This is SO FREAKING INSANE. And maybe a little scary.
Old May 27, 2014, 08:17 PM   #9
stiligFox
macrumors 6502a

*stiligFox's eyes sparkle as his Universal Translator dreams are coming true*

Knowing Skype it'll be a buggy mess, but hopefully it'll be worth it!
Old May 27, 2014, 08:17 PM   #10
MacSince1990
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santabean2000 View Post
Learning a new language will still be relevant, but man, this tech is cool. Huge possibilities in education.
Heh, I remember in college (okay... this was like 3 years ago lol) we had foreign partners and used Skype to talk to them in their and our languages. I'm thinking this might make that tricky XD
Old May 27, 2014, 08:18 PM   #11
jclo
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotzosushi View Post
So...basically they're going to secretly record our conversations to help "improve" this translation service?
I'm guessing that's highly unlikely -- I'm sure it will be an opt-in type of thing if Microsoft even chooses to go in that developmental direction. No company wants to be accused of collecting unnecessary customer data on the down low after PRISM.
jclo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014, 08:20 PM   #12
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Nadella's eyes are staring into my soul…

Last edited by AngerDanger; May 27, 2014 at 09:05 PM. Reason: [img]
AngerDanger is offline   26 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014, 08:24 PM   #13
cariacou
macrumors member

2015, the year when people don't talk face to face anymore, even when in the same building
cariacou is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014, 08:25 PM   #14
danielsutton
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

At today's Re/code Code Conference in Ranchos Palos Verdes, California, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella and Skype chief Gurdeep Singh Pall demoed an real-time language translation tool) that has been built into Skype.

During the demonstration, Pall conducted a conversation with a German-speaking colleague, with Skype providing real-time translation from German to English and vice versa. According to German speaking audience members at the conference, the translation software performed "pretty good" but not perfectly.

ImageNadella and Pall demo Skype Translator at the Code Conference
Microsoft hopes to use the huge number of conversations that take place on Skype to improve its translation tools with real language and speech patterns, which could lead to much better back and forth translations. Pall says the company is "working through" potential privacy issues that surround the use of customer calls.

While Microsoft plans to debut Skype Translate on the Windows platform later this year in a beta capacity, the company says that it will expand to other platforms, including OS X and iOS, shortly after the Windows version launches.At launch, the Skype translator will only work with a small number of languages, those that "it can do well" but Microsoft has plans to continually add additional languages to the app as development progresses.

Article Link: Microsoft Demos Skype Translation Tool Coming Later This Year
Apple should similarly develop FaceTime, and release it with translation functionality.
danielsutton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014, 08:28 PM   #15
Crosscreek
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Pie View Post
Nadella's eyes are staring into my soul…
This man is no fool. He has a vision for MSFT that has been lacking for many years.
Crosscreek is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014, 08:29 PM   #16
Casiotone
macrumors 6502a

Many years ago I wrote an AppleScript for the ircle IRC client that queried Google Translate in the background and enabled "live" translation of private IRC conversation (it wasn't fast enough to deal with the whole channel feed.)

Had some fun with it chatting with people from all over the world, though Google Translate was very bad back in the days, which lead to funny results!
Casiotone is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014, 08:32 PM   #17
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosscreek View Post
This man is no fool. He has a vision for MSFT that has been lacking for many years.
To be fair, this tech would have had to be under development prior to his arrival as CEO. However it is his decision to make it a priority and to highlight it.
Old May 27, 2014, 08:32 PM   #18
sualpine
macrumors regular

Waste of time. Windows 9 should have been in public beta by now.
sualpine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014, 08:34 PM   #19
joekun
macrumors regular

If this is as bad as the Bing translations they provide for Facebook forget it. Those have literally provided heinous and erroneous things to be added to my wife's timeline that you can't remove without deleting a perfectly legitimate post. If someone chooses to click that translate button they can get a very wrong idea and there is nothing you can do.
joekun is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014, 08:36 PM   #20
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosscreek View Post
Ah, how… relevant to my post.
AngerDanger is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014, 08:38 PM   #21
SeattleMoose
macrumors 6502a

But will it work for aliens?
SeattleMoose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014, 08:47 PM   #22
Rafagon
macrumors member

Hope it's better than those Bing translations of written text that Facebook provides.
Rafagon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014, 09:30 PM   #23
Imaginator
Banned

The pendulum swings. Microsoft has done more progressive soul searching and innovation in the last 6 months than Apple has in the last 6 years.
Imaginator is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014, 09:37 PM   #24
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariacou View Post
2015, the year when people don't talk face to face anymore, even when in the same building
As it is now I see people sitting at the same table texting each other, so this seems like natural progression.
AppleScruff1 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014, 09:46 PM   #25
trekkie604
macrumors 65816

just watched the video... that is extremely awesome. Except for the german lady's crazy eyes.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion