Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Receiving a Mac Pro 5.1 (mid-2012) 12c @ 2.66 Ghz next Friday. As I never bought a used computer (my cMP was new in 2008) I would like your advise for testing the MP at its maximum. At what point at testing a Mac Pro do you guys say: PASSED!

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/specs/mac-pro-twelve-core-2.66-mid-2012-westmere-specs.html

- Mac Pro 5.1 (mid-2012) in mint condition (just over one year)
- 2x X5650 6c @ 2.66 Ghz
- 24 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM
- 512 GB SSD
- HD 5770
- Keyboard & Mouse
- DVD's, documents in it's original packaging including the Apple MP box.

Sharing your best practice/test list/advise is much appreciated! - Cheers

jimj740

macrumors regular
Testing a used machine....

My general advise:

1) close physical inspection coupled with cleaning/vacuum/blow out of dust. Any components appear to be non oem? All wires well dressed and plugs snug?

2) basic hardware diagnostics. Run Apple Hardware Test - its on the original disks - google for startup instructions

3) Pick a basic test - could even be extended memory test from AHT - drive the machine under load to thermal equilibrium for at least 4 hours

Beyond that any failure is likely to be very intermittent.

I NEVER trust old/used disks. Do yourself a favor and get an SSD anyway...

-JimJ

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Sounds Good to me. When you get it run a check of the SN. Don't expect any DVDs. Apple stopped providing those sometime during the build cycle of the 2010 5,1 mac Pros.

I'd like to have one, just in case.

+1 on the SSD along with a Solo x2. But, as I recall, I think you already have one of those.

Lou

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Get a temp monitoring utility of some sort, and compress a movie with Handbrake. It's not as torturous as Prime95 or similar, but it will peg all the cores at ~100% in a fashion you are likely to run into and you can check the temps to see if they are reasonable. Also make sure all your fans are spinning up.

shindom

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2014
Definitely run the AHT .. when I bought my used 2009 mac pro, I had a failure of the Northbridge temp and the mac didn't post.
I had to replace the processor board at the apple store.

When I got the mac pro fixed and booting, I went into the the system profiler and looked into the diagnostics section and saw a failed hardware test report showing an error with the northbridge tdiod temp .. so definitely useful to make sure all is well on the hardware side before stress testing the mac further.

If you can't run the AHT with the DVD I suggest to read this website.
The instructions will allow you to get the AHT running holding the D key at startup.

Enjoy your mac :)

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Serial Number check

Sounds Good to me. When you get it run a check of the SN.

It was sent to me by mail in advance:

Code:
Model Number:	A1289
Sales Number(s):	MD772LL/A
Machine Number(s):	MacPro5,1
Dimensions:	20.1 in x 8.1 in x 18.7 in
Weight:	39.9 lb
Production:	Jun 11, 2012 - Present
Factory:	
Production Year:	2012
Production Week:	49 (December)
Production Number:

Forgot to mention that it comes with a two years warranty by this Apple vendor (non-apple care). Wonder if their is a way to check the "flight-hours" of any Mac Pro?

~ Cheers

Last edited:

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Definitely run the AHT .. when I bought my used 2009 mac pro, I had a failure of the Northbridge temp and the mac didn't post. I had to replace the processor board at the apple store.

When I got the mac pro fixed and booting, I went into the the system profiler and looked into the diagnostics section and saw a failed hardware test report showing an error with the northbridge tdiod temp .. so definitely useful to make sure all is well on the hardware side before stress testing the mac further.

If you can't run the AHT with the DVD I suggest to read this website.
The instructions will allow you to get the AHT running holding the D key at startup.

Enjoy your mac :)

Thanks, great directions for the AHT website. Did the "extensive hardware test" and no problems reported.

jimj740

macrumors regular
It was sent to me by mail in advance:

Code:
Model Number:	A1289
Sales Number(s):	MD772LL/A
Machine Number(s):	MacPro5,1
Dimensions:	20.1 in x 8.1 in x 18.7 in
Weight:	39.9 lb
Production:	Jun 11, 2012 - Present
Factory:	
Production Year:	2012
Production Week:	49 (December)
Production Number:

Forgot to mention that it comes with a two years warranty by this Apple vendor (non-apple care). Wonder if their is a way to check the "flight-hours" of any Mac Pro?

~ Cheers

Hmmm...

What you have above is the Sales Number, not the Serial number.
Go into "about this Mac" and get the actual serial number.

There are several web sites that you can use to obtain the manufacture date of your machine - this is useful in determining if it is really a 5,1 and not a reflashed 4,1.

I have a reflashed 4,1 - there is nothing wrong with it and I am the person who flashed it. However I bought a 4,1 machine and paid a 4,1 price. If you bought a 5,1 machine and paid a 5,1 price, it is good to know if you got what you paid for...

-JimJ

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Awesome ! seems your used machine will be great ! hope you got a good deal !

Actually this MP 5.1 was never used for any production. It was repossessed by the seller due to default of the buyer. It's just over one year old so the vendor gave me 2 year (carry-in) warranty, because actually only the box was opened.

All items like documents keyboard, mouse, usb cable, power cable were all still apple sealed. The MP itself is beyond mint, no a single scratch of traces of dust.

Thought about buying a 2009/2010 and upgrade it myself, but this 'brand new mean machine' I just could not resist it. And hey, my good old MP 3.1 2008 payed for itself many times over, so I'm expecting this MP will do the same for the next 6 years.

Moved all my upgrades from my MP 3.1 to it, so it's time to kick some ass...

A very happy and proud :apple: MP 5.1 (2012) owner.

----------

Hmmm...

What you have above is the Sales Number, not the Serial number.
Go into "about this Mac" and get the actual serial number.

There are several web sites that you can use to obtain the manufacture date of your machine - this is useful in determining if it is really a 5,1 and not a reflashed 4,1.

I have a reflashed 4,1 - there is nothing wrong with it and I am the person who flashed it. However I bought a 4,1 machine and paid a 4,1 price. If you bought a 5,1 machine and paid a 5,1 price, it is good to know if you got what you paid for...

-JimJ

Checked it on Apple's website:

check-serial-apple.jpg

Could you share some more links, thanks for your concern!

Last edited:

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Actually this MP 5.1 was never used for any production. It was repossessed by the seller due to default of the buyer. It's just over one year old so the vendor gave me 2 year (carry-in) warranty, because actually only the box was opened.

All items like documents keyboard, mouse, usb cable, power cable were all still apple sealed. The MP itself is beyond mint, no a single scratch of traces of dust.

Thought about buying a 2009/2010 and upgrade it myself, but this 'brand new mean machine' I just could not resist it. And hey, my good old MP 3.1 2008 payed for itself many times over, so I'm expecting this MP will do the same for the next 6 years.

Moved all my upgrades from my MP 3.1 to it, so it's time to kick some ass...

A very happy and proud :apple: MP 5.1 (2012) owner.

----------

Checked it on Apple's website:

Could you share some more links, thanks for your concern!

Hi BDM Studios. Big Congratulations on your Mac Pro 2012 machine. Just sharing more inputs that may help you. I think your Mac Pro is a genuine 2012 5.1 model based on the Apple serial you provided. Another way to find out is, go to the Apple Profiler and check the hardware profile. With a genuine 5.1, the SMC version should state "1.39f11". With a 2009 4.1 Mac Pro, the SMC would say "1.39f5". This stays that way even if the machine firmware was upgraded to a 5.1

just another minor note. All 5.1 and 4.1 Mac Pros takes a little more time to show the HD icons whenever you are booting using the options key compared to your 2008 Mac Pro. Don't worry this is normal. The 2006 to 2008 Mac Pros are faster in showing up the HDs while holding down the option key.

Enjoy your Mac Pro and would recommend you keep it and don't resell it. Best to have 2 Mac Pros with the other as backup if you use this for business. :) Have fun and enjoy. It's a good machine and Rare. Only a handful 12 core 2.66ghz were on sale the past months.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Hi BDM Studios. Big Congratulations on your Mac Pro 2012 machine. Just sharing more inputs that may help you. I think your Mac Pro is a genuine 2012 5.1 model based on the Apple serial you provided. Another way to find out is, go to the Apple Profiler and check the hardware profile. With a genuine 5.1, the SMC version should state "1.39f11". With a 2009 4.1 Mac Pro, the SMC would say "1.39f5". This stays that way even if the machine firmware was upgraded to a 5.1

Great new info's! See mine below:

Code:
SMC Version (system):        	1.39f11
SMC Version (processor tray):	1.39f11

just another minor note. All 5.1 and 4.1 Mac Pros takes a little more time to show the HD icons whenever you are booting using the options key compared to your 2008 Mac Pro. Don't worry this is normal. The 2006 to 2008 Mac Pros are faster in showing up the HDs while holding down the option key.

Correct the pre-bootscreen time is a bit longer.

Enjoy your Mac Pro and would recommend you keep it and don't resell it. Best to have 2 Mac Pros with the other as backup if you use this for business. :) Have fun and enjoy. It's a good machine and Rare. Only a handful 12 core 2.66ghz were on sale the past months.

Thanks a lot, very happy indeed with my new 'investment' !

~ Cheers

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Another way to find out is, go to the Apple Profiler and check the hardware profile. With a genuine 5.1, the SMC version should state "1.39f11".

The 2010 5,1 also shows 1.39f11. And yes, BDM does, indeed, have a 2012 5,1. I'm sure it's so identified on the box and in "About This Mac".

Lou

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
The 2010 5,1 also shows 1.39f11. And yes, BDM does, indeed, have a 2012 5,1. I'm sure it's so identified on the box and in "About This Mac".

Lou

Did some more research and even contacted Apple. The s/n is confirmed as a genuine 2012 MP 5.1 and can even be enrolled for a 3 year Apple Care! :cool: My question is should I go for the vendor's 2 years warranty or 3 year Apple Care, with additional costs?

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
I would like your advise for testing the MP at its maximum. At what point at testing a Mac Pro do you guys say: PASSED!

Grab a copy of ASD (PM me if you need this). Run it. When it says "PASSED" in big white letters on a green bezel, that's when I say it's passed.

-SC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.