Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Holding down Power + Home Button for ~15 seconds worked for me, it just turned on.

EDIT: I might add, I don't think this was in DFU mode. I tried it in DFU mode (showing the connect to iTunes stuff) and it didn't work.

Ashen

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2010
I think you should do jailbreak for your iPod. Don’t worry or get scared, doing jailbreak is not that difficult to worry about. There are quite a few people who have launched jailbreak software, but I personally suggest you to go for one which is offered by the Apple guys. Because I have used it for my iPod touch. It is very simple and can be fixed in few minutes.

Last edited:

joeblogg

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Yes, you can get out of DFU.

I'm really taking about DFU and not recovery mode.
(I've only tested on an iPhone and not a touch)

When in DFU, hold down the home button and the power button for about 10 seconds. If your phone is connected to your computer you'll hear a beep as when a USB device is disconnected.
Next just press the power button and your phone will startup at usual.

If you've just accidentally dropped into DFU and done nothing more, then the above will get you out.

If you're in DFU and mid-way through a failed restore, then you will need a complete iTunes restore to get you out.

Thanks, that worked for me! I couldn't restore my iPhone so I put it into DFU mode and restored it but that didn't work either. So then I was unable to turn my phone on.

But then I tried what you said in your post and now I can use my iPhone again (although I am still unable to restore it and I might never be able to).

khanumar72

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2011
THANK YOU jDripper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :D

Thank you Jdripper you have saved my iPhone 4 day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can U Tell Me How to Jailbreak an iPhone 4 that's On 4.2.1 Please?????????????????????:D:D:apple::apple::apple::eek::eek::eek:;););):cool::cool::cool::p:p:rolleyes:

Jozr

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2011

When in DFU, hold down the home button and the power button for about 10 seconds. If your phone is connected to your computer you'll hear a beep as when a USB device is disconnected.

If you've just accidentally dropped into DFU and done nothing more, then the above will get you out.

If you're in DFU and mid-way through a failed restore, then you will need a complete iTunes restore to get you out.

Thanks everyone was so confusing with them being mixed up with recovery mode and DFU mode !

tttski

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2011
Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!
I thought I had lost everything on my father-in-law's 3G (4.1 ios) when I got it stuck in DFU mode trying to jailbreak it. Everybody on here that is saying "YOU CAN'T GET IT OUT OF DFU MODE WITHOUT RECOVERING IN iTUNES (and losing everything!)" are wrong!!!!!!
Anyway, you saved me and THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey! I.ve tried to jailbreak my iphone 3gs 4.0.1 with redsn0w and after i got into dfu mode it said waiting for reboot but nothing happened so i had to get off from dfu mode so i can use my phone again, anyway what i've done and it worked, i've followed the steps for getting into dfu mode lol

1. hold down the power button for like 5 sec
2. keep holding the power button and press the home one for like 10 sec
3. release the power button but keep holding the home one till the apple logo appears

After i've done that my phone turned on like nothing happened. i;ve had all of my apps installed and stuff, i didnt had to restore or something...so...i hope this is gonna work for you too. ^^

And if you end up in recovery mode...just turn off and on your iphone. At least that worked for me...

KenaReames96

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2011
How do I get my iPhone 3G out of recovery mode?

I went to iTunes and hit restore and it kept saying that I need the latest version of software from Apple so I downloaded the iTunes 10.2.1.1 which is the latest version of iTunes and nothing has changed, it stills says I have the problem number 1015 and no matter what I've done I just can't seem to get it off recovery mode or in other words factory settings, SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I NEED TO DO?!??!? :(

ipodproblems

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2011
Try not worry

One day, my ipod froze and i went to restart it but it wouldnt restart. panicked i put my ipod on the charger, nothing happened. I then plugged it up to itunes and my ipod didnt even pop up. I thought my ipod was over. then i read some forums and it by HOLDING HOME AND POWER FOR TEN SECONDS AND THEN HOLDING HOME )WITHOUT TAKING UR FINGER OFF) FOR ONE MINUTE, MY IPOD POPPED UP ON ITUNES. itunes said it was in recovery mode but it was not because it didnt show a connect to itunes logo,its in dfu mode (im pretty sure, i just know its not recovery mode) it was just dead. I restored because i was scared and didnt know what to do, the restoring process didnt work, thank god (error 4800) i think. Then after about 10 ten minutes of a 1 hour and a half of waiting for my ipod to restore(my gma has a slow computer) my ipod came back on, with the logo of dead battery. so the moral of the story is wait a couple hours to see if it comes back on. After that day ipod freezes up sometimes and doesnt come back on for about 2 hours each time. when it does come back on with a dead battery logo. idk why it does this but it does. hope it helped. oh and its a jailbroken ipod

didikun

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2011
help

it doesn't matter what i do or try it simply doesn't want to get out of DFU mode or to start ... no clue ... i tried all day different things ... i short: I wanted to unblock my sim and jailbreak and iPhone 4 that was using fw 4.2.2

with pwnageTool 4.3 I compiled a custom fw 4.3.1

than in itunes i started having different errors so:
1 - ran tiny umbrella 5.00
2 - iREB-r4

it got in DFU mode, I successfully installed the new FW(4.3.1) and it showed in iTunes ... rebooting device in 3 .. 2.... 1

than : device in recovery mode. restore to use with iTunes.

and this is all. tried to take it out of dfu with any method i've found. nothing. and now i can't even repeat the same steps cuz i get 1601 error no matter what.

tried a clean restore with tiny umbrella(tried without too but no use) and same story error 1601.

please help

Tech Elementz

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
I've gotten out of dfu and recovery mode countless times just by restarting the iPod a few times, I never have had a need to use 3rd party apps

3rd party apps help at first when you panick and when you feel like it will certainly work. :)

However, restarting works... :)

Krypt0n3

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2011
thank you :D it really works

woaw thank u very much tought a would be needed to restore my ipod.. u just saved all my music ! thx

Krypt0n3

ETK2000

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2011
If you're in DFU mode and mid-way through a failed restore, this is what you do to get out:
1) Unplug your iPod from your computer
2) Hold the Power button for 5 seconds
3) Hold the Power + Home buttons for 10 seconds

(2-3 are the first two steps to putting your iPod into DFU mode).
By now you should see the apple symbol on your iPod
4) Just wait until your iPod turns on
5) Plug it into your computer and it's ready to go!
:)

PS 5 can be done later, the main parts are 1 thru 4
This works for iPod, and iPhone, I haven't tested it with iPad yet!
enjoy!

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I cannot remember another thread where so many posters are so confused and/or have provided incorrect information. :eek:

(shakes head in disbelief)

DFU and recovery mode are dramatically different situations.
And the procedure to exit from either is different.

karlconway

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2013
Get out of DFU

lol of course you can get out of DFU just hold power button and home button for say 15 seconds and bam its back on

Glasseliz

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2014
You will need to use tinyumbrella again to kick it out of DFU mode. You shouldnt need to have used to kick into DFU, but it will save your ass now you are stuck. After kicking out, you can restore and try again.

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

In general, dont mix your jailbreaks. Stick with one that others have written will work. Limerain does appear, but sometimes you need to reset – also, did you check the next homescreen? It gets installed to your second home screen by default, so even if you cant see it on the first screen, it may be on the second screen…

zenadicks

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2015
Firstly, you can try to press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button until the phone reboots and shows the Apple logo. And then reboot your iPhone. But most of people said it doesn’t work. If you really don’t know how to get iPhone out of recovery mode, you have better try to use iPhone Data Recovery or iTunes to help you do that.
Here are the steps if you want to use iTunes:
Launch iTunes on your computer/Mac, and connect your iPhone to the computer/Mac with a USB cable. And then when iTunes scan your device, iTunes will tell you to restore your iPhone using your most recent backup. You just click “OK” to restore and exit recovery mode. Hope these methods help you out of trouble.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.