Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BByS

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2014
OSX Names

The way Apple software quality has been lately, how about:

OSX Compton

OSX I-405

OSX Folsom

BByS

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
That'd be kind of sloppy.

I really don't see Apple getting rid of their computer line anytime soon. Like you said, even though it only makes up, what, 10% of their bottom line, that's still a huge chunk of healthy profits. Just because they're not making as much as their iDevices, that doesn't mean they should ditch it tomorrow and only chase the most profitable part of their lineup. They'd end up losing a ton of money doing that.

Some people really need a reality check. Very few people know this, but Apple is actually the world's most successful computer manufacturer, making an estimated 45% of all profits in the desktop and laptop computer market. Why would anyone in their right mind think of closing down a business that is the same size but three times as profitable as the whole of Dell?

----------

So was OS9.

There was MacOS 1.0 in 1984 (actually I think I've seen a 0.9 version), and then it went through the numbers until 6.0 introduced multitasking, it got stuck on 7.5 for a while, then came MacOS 8, then MacOS 9. These versions were counted from 1 to 9.

----------

Why is that those - and there seems to be plenty of them - who complain about 10.10 being (mathematically) the same as 10.1 appear to be quite happy with 10.9.2. Unless the rules of maths have changed recently, you can't have 2 decimal points in a number :confused:

10.4.11 of a few years agos is strong precedent that numbers can go to 10 and beyond.

----------

When OS X was first released didn't Phil Schiller say it would be the OS for the next 10-15 years? With an initial release of March 24, 2001 we're nearing the 15 year mark. So what's next? Is there much life left in OS X? I'm a big Apple fan and not trolling at all.

It should be obvious by now that MacOS X was successful beyond all imagination, so Schiller's statement is as true now as it was in 2001: MacOS X is the operating system for the next 10-15 years.

Felasco

Oct 19, 2012
Why does OSX need names? Isn't that just a way to confuse folks? Numbers seem so much clearer, as they immediately communicate the relationship between one version and the next, even to newbies.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Why does OSX need names?
This. Namelessness was good enough for Apple's OS up until 10.2 Jaguar (Cheetah and Puma were never used as branding). I refer to releases as '10.x' rather than '[cat name]', and 'Mavericks' makes me think of James Garner and Tom Cruise rather than Cali surf dude coolness.

Such branding makes sense for (say) Intel microprocessors, where the numbers are indecipherable to 99% of the world's population but the Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge / Haswell etc branding at least gives an idea of the generation, but for a single, sequentially numbered product like OS X? Nah.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Why does OSX need names? Isn't that just a way to confuse folks? Numbers seem so much clearer, as they immediately communicate the relationship between one version and the next, even to newbies.

branding

and probably more than half the users prefer a name over numbers.
numbers are geeky
names aren't

for numbers to work for most people, it would have to be like iOS..

os8, os9, os10, os11 etc.. instead of 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 etc
---

[edit] i wrote that as if i were saying it from an authoritative point of view.. it's more of a guess though

ibphd

macrumors member
Reticence

I love that you have had that account for 10 years but never posted until today.

I did not have much to say. The naming issue "moved me" to eloquence. But, I'm an active reader. Maybe I'll write again, 10 years hence (hmm, 10 - 10).
So until then "the rest is silence" .

HAMLET
  O, I die, Horatio.
The potent poison quite o'ercrows my spirit.
I cannot live to hear the news from England.
But I do prophesy the election lights
On Fortinbras. He has my dying voice.
So tell him, with th' occurrents, more and less,
Which have solicited. The rest is silence.
-Hamlet

Yotsuba

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2010
Newport News, Virginia
OS 10.10 "Dos Equis"

Get The Most Interesting Man In The World to do the ads for it.

"I don't always use OS X. But when I do, I prefer Dos Equis. Think different, my friends."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.