Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple announced today that it will begin offering the iPad Air and Retina iPad mini on Japanese carrier NTT DOCOMO starting Tuesday, June 10. Both tablets will be compatible with the company's nationwide Xi LTE service, as users will be able to pre-register for both devices beginning June 2nd at local DOCOMO stores and the carrier's website.
ipad_air_family_20136.jpg
"With the addition of iPad alongside iPhone, we now offer the complete lineup of Japan's most popular mobile devices on the nation's most reliable LTE network," said Kaoru Kato, President and CEO of NTT DOCOMO, INC. "We know our customers will enjoy using iPad Air and iPad mini, and anticipate that new customers will look to experience these amazing devices on our high-quality network with our new billing plan."

"We are extremely happy for iPad to join iPhone on NTT DOCOMO's network," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "The results on iPhone have been tremendous, and we look forward to delivering iPad to NTT DOCOMO customers."
The iPad Air and Retina iPad mini were originally launched in Japan and a number of other countries last fall. The move also follows the launch of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c on the carrier last September, marking the first time that Apple's phones were offered on DOCOMO. Since then, Apple has seen its share of the Japanese mobile phone market rise above 36%, with the iPhone accounting for more than 40% of phone sales on the carrier.

Article Link: Apple to Offer iPad Air and Retina iPad Mini on Japanese Carrier NTT DOCOMO Starting June 10

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
My guess would go into some market protection for SoftBank. But just a guess.
Anyway I changed into mobile wifi router (Xi) and using wifi iPad only. And it work with my laptops too. Much more flexible.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Wow the timing is very interesting. With the WWDC about to get going a week before this takes effect. I wonder what that means in terms of announcements on June 2. It would be wierd to announce new iPads a week before the old ones become available on DoCoMo.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Wow the timing is very interesting. With the WWDC about to get going a week before this takes effect. I wonder what that means in terms of announcements on June 2. It would be wierd to announce new iPads a week before the old ones become available on DoCoMo.
They aren't going to announce new iPads at WWDC.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
My guess would go into some market protection for SoftBank. But just a guess.
Anyway I changed into mobile wifi router (Xi) and using wifi iPad only. And it work with my laptops too. Much more flexible.
I used to do that, but the hassle of having to carry an extra device around (and make sure it was charged) became annoying enough that I went with a KDDI LTE rMini this time around. With 10+ hours of tethering per charge, it actually lasts longer than my pocket wifi did in that capacity, and being always-connected is great. Just my two cents' worth

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
They aren't going to announce new iPads at WWDC.

Was this ever in question?

----------

They don't typically announce iPads at WWDC. iPhones maybe, but not iPads.

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
I used to do that, but the hassle of having to carry an extra device around (and make sure it was charged) became annoying enough that I went with a KDDI LTE rMini this time around. With 10+ hours of tethering per charge, it actually lasts longer than my pocket wifi did in that capacity, and being always-connected is great. Just my two cents' worth

I did the same, and I agree.
I like the flexibility but it is a pain carrying so many devices.
Will probably swap my galapagos keitai, mobile router, iPod touch for a (docomo) iPhone when my contract expires. My pockets will be happier!

Had a (softbank) 3G ipad1 and having an always on connection was great.
Wish the LTE contracts were a little more flexible though, a month at a time would be awesome (like everywhere else in the world I believe.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.