Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adk

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
I just got my brand new Dell 2005FPW yesterday, and i'm already having trouble with it! whenever it just displays a black screen, there are weird red, flickering shadows. I wish I had a camera to take a picture. Basically, I have a black desktop background and the entire thing has a faint red flicker, and then there is a brighter reddish shadow in the shape of my safari window on my background. Anybody have any ideas why this could be? I didn't expect this from a brand new dell monitor!

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
adk said:
I just got my brand new Dell 2005FPW yesterday, and i'm already having trouble with it! whenever it just displays a black screen, there are weird red, flickering shadows. I wish I had a camera to take a picture. Basically, I have a black desktop background and the entire thing has a faint red flicker, and then there is a brighter reddish shadow in the shape of my safari window on my background. Anybody have any ideas why this could be? I didn't expect this from a brand new dell monitor!

Call Dell right away and get an exchange. They won't hassle you at all about it if you tell them your problem. That should not be happening.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Log in to your account using Dell's support website. Then either do web chat support or email and they will send you out a new monitor immediately. I try to avoid Dell's telephone customer service at all costs.

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
Dell support is his or miss. Just be assertive (but still polite) when you deal with them and they'll get it exchanged for you. You might even make a hassle about it and see if they'll cross ship.

adk

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
og in to your account using Dell's support website. Then either do web chat support or email and they will send you out a new monitor immediately. I try to avoid Dell's telephone customer service at all costs.

the Problem is that Monitors don't come with a Service tag, and Dell Will let you drop dead before they help you without a service tag number.

UPDATE: After spending an hour and a half on Dell It stopped flickering. I ended up just getting a case number and told them i'd call back if it happened again.

Of course the guy tried to blame it on my video card because i don't run a dell or even windows system. But I know it wasn't my computer at all. If you're familiar with the 2005FPW it has other inputs (composite, SVIDEO) and when i switched to those it still did it. Unfortunately, late night support dude didn't quite understand that.

edited for spelling

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
Use this Customer Service number. Should be put right through:

Dell support Gold number: 1-866-876-3355 or 1-800-822-8965.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
i had this exact problem.

i emailed tech support, confirmed the problem and was shipped a new monitor and had the faulty one shipped back for free. i hate dealing with people; if you know how to write a convincing email ... it may find more sympathy than a phone conversation that involves peoples opinions. :)

peace | neut

adk

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
neut said:
i had this exact problem.

i emailed tech support, confirmed the problem and was shipped a new monitor and had the faulty one shipped back for free. i hate dealing with people; if you know how to write a convincing email ... it may find more sympathy than a phone conversation that involves peoples opinions. :)

peace | neut

how did you email them without a stupid service tag?

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
adk said:
how did you email them without a stupid service tag?

Mine was REV A01.

US_CAG_Customer_Care@dell.com

They will ask for:
1. Contact Name
2. Address (from your original order/ invoice)
3. Current Shipping Address (Address, City, State, and Zip) No PO Boxes
4. Daytime Phone Number
5. Alternate Contact/ Phone
6. Order Number
7. Customer Number
8. Service Tag Number
9. Serial No.

They diagnosed the problem as bad pixels. They have a bad pixel policy (5 or more, a cluster, or one in the middle) and will exchange the monitor. Good luck. :)

peace | neut

adk

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
Dell is shipping me a new monitor with a prepaid waybill to send the old one back! I was harsh about support at first, but when I emailed them they were quick and decisive.

rasjunk

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2005
adk said:
Dell's support is being absolutely impossible. They want a service tag, but they don't put service tags on monitors. Extremely Frustrating!

The ******* service tag... I moved to London from the US.. when I plugged my monitor in it didn't work.. I have to pay per minute to use my phone (landline) and everyone knows how Dell's phone support is. No one was capable of understanding that monitors, when bought alone, do not have service tags.. They couldn't/wouldn't exchange my monitor in the UK so I had to pay over £150 to ship it back to them. I can't afford to have the new one shipped over here so it's still in the US.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.