Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 28, 2014, 10:40 AM   #26
KdParker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve121178 View Post
Why buy music from iTunes when I can stream whatever I want for a small monthly fee with Spotify?
Maybe no with Spotify....but I would rather stream my music.
KdParker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 10:41 AM   #27
cube
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
40 new CDs per month, it's cheaper to pay Deezer $7.

And the CDs are cheaper than iTunes.
I would prefer to pay Qobuz a bit more for lossless, but even with the price decrease, that one does indeed feel like too much for renting instead of owning.
cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 10:42 AM   #28
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrooster View Post
This is the point. Lots of people like to own the "records" that they buy. Spotify is ok, but it suffers from outages like every other streaming service (carrier fault) and I consistently find it to be a pain in certain areas where I live (Denver, CO).

I miss owning my music. If I lose my spotify subscription I lose my music. I can totally see the need to want to own what you purchase.
I think streaming vs downloads is a balance thing. I think downloads are going down because the digital markets are moderating. Many times streaming music is all you need instead of say radio. Streaming allows the user great control over what they hear which radio was failing at. However, there are times when you want to own the music. This is when you buy. Streaming without any ownership is bad for the music markets and vice versa. Streaming gives people who don't care that much a legitimate way to hear your songs without having to overcommit financially. It's an extension of giving the user just the amount of product they want and nothing more.

Last edited by AdonisSMU; May 28, 2014 at 10:48 AM.
AdonisSMU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 10:42 AM   #29
DudeAbides59
macrumors newbie

iTunes for Android

Apple needs to release the Android version of iTunes to make up for the 60% of users that have moved on. As a former iPhone user and now an Android user I really don't want to use Google Music or others but there are no good options. My main music library is still in iTunes on my PC and I need to use Windows Media Player or something else to sync my library to my Moto X. I'd much rather sync from iTunes right to my Android phone.
DudeAbides59 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 10:44 AM   #30
sualpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeAbides59 View Post
Apple needs to release the Android version of iTunes to make up for the 60% of users that have moved on. As a former iPhone user and now an Android user I really don't want to use Google Music or others but there are no good options. My main music library is still in iTunes on my PC and I need to use Windows Media Player or something else to sync my library to my Moto X. I'd much rather sync from iTunes right to my Android phone.
Apple doesn't need to support you at all, you left the ecosystem. Come back if you want it.
sualpine is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 10:44 AM   #31
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:

most people don't buy music anymore via the itunes model
why buy a $10 album when you can get unlimited streaming for $10 a month?
alent1234 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 10:45 AM   #32
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sualpine View Post
Apple doesn't need to support you at all, you left the ecosystem. Come back if you want it.
He makes a valid point though. Android isn't going anywhere. Apple might as well support it with iTunes music. Beats is probably a way to accomplish this as well.
AdonisSMU is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 10:46 AM   #33
bushido
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
40 new CDs per month, it's cheaper to pay Deezer $7.

And the CDs are cheaper than iTunes.
40???? then you clearly arent the demo for the streaming market though. i bought one cd two years ago. thats about it but i happily pay for Spotify. no need to find downloads from other "sources" anymore. i am actually getting it legal this way now. plus i never listen to an album for more than a month so owning it wouldnt even make much sense for me besides costing more money
bushido is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 10:46 AM   #34
DudeAbides59
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Such arrogance. Its no wonder that iTunes sales are declining.
DudeAbides59 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 10:46 AM   #35
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
most people don't buy music anymore via the itunes model
why buy a $10 album when you can get unlimited streaming for $10 a month?
Who spends $10 on an album when you can buy the two or three tracks you actually like and let the filler sit there?
Old May 28, 2014, 10:48 AM   #36
dmylrea
macrumors regular

There goes Apple...innovating again by trying to duplicate/catch-up to similar services. To me, the quickest way to subscription services would be to create something like the Zune Pass that MS had (now XBox Music Pass), allow people to download anything they want (w/DRM) and keep 10 songs per month (non-DRM) as part of their subscription, all under the iTunes umbrella.

To Apple, spending $3B on a lame subscription/streaming service with a name synonymous with overpriced makes more sense, I guess.

After trying out the Beats service for a month (free trial), I uninstalled it and cancelled my subscription.

There are plenty of streaming/"Radio" music services. The problem is, there isn't enough good music these days.
dmylrea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 10:48 AM   #37
DavidG328
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve121178 View Post
Why buy music from iTunes when I can stream whatever I want for a small monthly fee with Spotify?
I haven't purchased a single thing music wise since I subscribed to Spotify.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:48 AM   #38
aliaxos
macrumors newbie

Plex

APPLE - LOOK INTO OTHER PEOPLE's APPs and LEARN!

PLEX WILL DOMINATE THE MARKET VERY SOON AND YOU LOOK INTO BUYING SUCCESS!!

Make iTunes a proper MEDIA SERVER //MARKET PLACE and you ll win
aliaxos is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 10:49 AM   #39
sualpine

Quote:
Such arrogance. Its no wonder that iTunes sales are declining.
The purchase of media in general is declining. There's nothing Apple can do to convince people to buy music when streaming is the new market. Absolutely nothing about this is surprising/unexpected.
sualpine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 10:49 AM   #40
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68000

Streaming solves the radio problem.
Downloads solves the physical product problem.

Both will co-exist. People want greater control over the music they hear on the radio. Those are the streaming listeners. There will always be a benefit to downloading and owning some of your music. Downloads gives people greater control of the amount of product they are buying.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:50 AM   #41
cube
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
40???? then you clearly arent the demo for the streaming market though. i bought one cd two years ago. thats about it but i happily pay for Spotify. no need to find downloads from other "sources" anymore. i am actually getting it legal this way now. plus i never listen to an album for more than a month so owning it wouldnt even make much sense for me besides costing more money
Well, that's the point. I would buy around 40 CDs per month and listen only once to most of them.
So now I subscribe to Deezer and I never stream, always offline sync. And I only listen to COMPLETE albums, only once each.
cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 10:50 AM   #42
DudeAbides59
macrumors newbie

Quote:
The purchase of media in general is declining. There's nothing Apple can do to convince people to buy music when streaming is the new market. Absolutely nothing about this is surprising/unexpected.
I buy music that I want to keep or play remotely. When I do I buy through iTunes.
DudeAbides59 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 10:50 AM   #43
Benjamins
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethebigo View Post
It seems that one of the major reasons Apple wants Iovine is to negotiate content deals with entertainment companies. I don't think they are as shortsighted as you think, and probably most Apple employees use prime/netflix/hulu. They're just getting stonewalled by content providers that don't want to deal with their level of control. Hopefully some acquisitions can help them in this department.

But one amazing thing about Apple is that they have the money to overcome any deficiency if they have to. They could easily buy netflix! Hell, they could buy the cable companies themselves and still only use about half of their on hand cash. Not saying they'd want to, but still...
As far as I am concerned, Apple already have iTMS, iTunes radio, iTunes Match. Creating a subscription based music streaming service doesn't sound like such an impossible thing. If Apple is on the bad side of the music label, they could've just yanked the licenses for the current services.

Also Iovine is 61 years old, Steve Jobs died when he's 56.
Benjamins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 10:51 AM   #44
NOV
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsNotMe View Post
iTunes revenue is declining because it focuses on a dying medium (music) instead of video. It took Apple way too far into the game to launch iTunes Radio and they have ZERO focus on a Netflix/Prime competitor which is where future revenues are to be had.
Don't think so, it's like saying when the TV was introduced, that radio was a dying medium.

Music website
NOV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 10:51 AM   #45
Steve121178
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamins View Post
How many songs do you buy a year. for 9.99 a month, to me it's cheaper to just buy what I want.
I'm also paying for the sheer convenience Spotify gives it's users.

I can listen to whatever I want, create as many playlists as I want, have everything available & synced across my iPhone, iPad & computers.

Brilliant!
Old May 28, 2014, 10:51 AM   #46
sualpine

Quote:
I buy music that I want to keep or play remotely. When I do I buy through iTunes.
You are already the minority and will soon be an niche market.
sualpine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 10:54 AM   #47
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68000

People who think one is going to kill the other are wrong. There are benefits to both ways of doing things. It's like buying a TV show ala carte vs paying for cable service every month.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:54 AM   #48
Zerilos
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Isn't the issue that Apple is late to streaming music and are now having to spend $3B to catch up?
Yes. People have been pointing that it since that story first broke.
Zerilos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 10:56 AM   #49
AppleWarMachine
macrumors 6502a

Apple's new slogan...

if you can't beat them...buy them

iMac; iPad; iPhone; Apple TV...and whatever's next (iWatch)
AppleWarMachine is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 10:58 AM   #50
7thson
macrumors 6502

Ah man, I was really hoping Apple was gonna drop the Beats!
7thson is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion