Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geeshiet

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2014
Should I switch my 5s to and s5? I mean the iPhone is great and all. The apps, UI, everything seems reliable and quick. Especially the apps, its more functional than android. I understand because its easier creating apps for iPhone. Developers don't have to worry about tons of sizes, version of OS... So i get it. But android feels more fun and you can do many things that iPhone alone cant. iPhone feels like jail, and it just doesn't entertain me. So should i switch?

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
You should do what feels right for you. Nobody here can tell you what to do, nor should they. You're the only one who can know what suits you best. Consider your options and then decide for yourself. :)

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
I think everyone should try both platforms. You'll either be happy with it, or you'l go back to iOS with a renewed appreciation (which happened to me).

Crichton333

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2014
Been there done that. It may not seem like it now but you will miss your 5s. And revert you will :)

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Just for fun, you should try posting "Should I switch from my s5 to an iphone?" on an android forum and watch all hell break loose.

Pretty sure you won't get the "you should get what works for you" responses :D

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I've been with a S5 for about 3 weeks now and am getting tired of it's endless quirks and glitches. I'm ready to go back to an iPhone.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
OP, if you want it, can afford it, then just do whatever you want to do. Doesnt really matter what anyone else thinks. Only you can decide.

----------

You should do what feels right for you. Nobody here can tell you what to do, nor should they. You're the only one who can know what suits you best. Consider your options and then decide for yourself. :)

Exactly.....

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
Get a Windows phone. It offers a high percentage of the customizability of Android in an iOS-like UX. (User Experience) A phone shouldn't lag with a quad core / hexa core processor and a boatload of RAM.

If your on Verizon, the Icon. If not then either the 1020 or the 1520; both have equal specs, but one has a 4.5" 720p+ screen and the 1520 has a 6" 1080p screen. If you want to future proof yourself, go with the 1080p variant. The Icon has a 5" 1080p as well.

Another reason to get the 1520 is because it takes a nano-sim, meaning you can switch between the iPhone and the 1520 at will.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
It's just a phone. It's your decision. Just stick with your iPhone, and save us the comparisons that we've heard a million times.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
Should I switch my 5s to and s5? I mean the iPhone is great and all. The apps, UI, everything seems reliable and quick. Especially the apps, its more functional than android. I understand because its easier creating apps for iPhone. Developers don't have to worry about tons of sizes, version of OS... So i get it. But android feels more fun and you can do many things that iPhone alone cant. iPhone feels like jail, and it just doesn't entertain me. So should i switch?

Pardon me, I think I pulled a muscle laughing.

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009

Everyone's opinion is just an opinion and yours is whats going to matter the most and the only was to find out is to do it and see for yourself. Do it what you want and if you can afford it.

If you're still curious about Android then head over to XDA developers and look for devices that you're interested in and see what devs have to offer for that model.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada

Android does allow for more configuration and customisation of your phone. In the end, after doing all of this customisation, you'll still use it like your iPhone. Also, you may have repurchase apps that you already purchased on iOS. Some apps may not have an Android version, so you'll have to find alternatives. If you already use a number of Apple services, you may find that you have to find alternatives. Apple generally don't provide many of their services on other platforms.

Changing platforms may be a lot of trouble depending on how entrenched you are in your original platform and how comfortable you are with it. You'll have to decide if it is worth your while. Also, an iPhone 5S is a fairly new phone. Are you so unhappy with it that you are seriously considering switching.

Pardon me, I think I pulled a muscle laughing.

With the apps that I compared between the two platforms, I do find that a number of the Android versions do have more functionality than the iOS version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.