Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 28, 2014, 02:54 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Samsung Debuts Open Modular Health-Tracking Band and Cloud Platform

Ahead of the upcoming debut of iOS 8, which is expected to include Apple's "Healthbook" health aggregating platform, Samsung has announced its own health tracking platform that envelops both open modular hardware and a cloud storage solution.

Called SAMI (Samsung Architecture Multimodal Interactions), the company's cloud-based sensor data platform is designed to be entirely open to developers and "complementary" with Samsung's S Health initiative.

Alongside SAMI, Samsung showed off its Simband, a reference device that includes a multitude of wearable sensors with several different health-tracking functions. Designed to be an open reference sensor module, Simband offers the standard accelerometers to measure movement along with an ECG sensor and a sensor that measures skin temperature.

The device, which offers miniaturized electronics along with Bluetooth and WiFi, also shows off a removable "shuttle battery" that clips into the band to charge it while it's being worn. As described, the battery allows the device to be worn 24/7, snapping in to charge it during sleep. The open device is multimodal and designed to be customized with interchangeable components, allowing hardware developers to create their own hardware able to be attached to the band.

Samsung's cloud platform SAMI is designed to collect "any kind of data" from a range of devices. On stage, the platform was likened to a bank, storing and securing data privately.

Samsung president Young Sohn compared the company's health efforts to a car dashboard for the human body, aimed at giving consumers an overall picture of their wellbeing. Simband and SAMI are both open and available to developers, and Samsung has paired with early partners like PhysIQ and UCSF to develop new wearable hardware. Developers will be given access to the SAMI SDK later this year.

The company also announced a $50 million digital health challenge aimed at creating new sensors and new health-related technology.

Article Link: Samsung Debuts Open Modular Health-Tracking Band and Cloud Platform
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 02:55 PM   #2
bawbac
macrumors 6502a

Awesome!
I wonder if others will follow(copy).
Old May 28, 2014, 02:56 PM   #3
Rogifan
macrumors G3

So basically Samsung is saying pick us over Google. And at the same time making sure they can say first! before Apple announces anything next Monday. Reminds me a little bit like when Google scheduled a maps event right before WWDC in 2012.
Old May 28, 2014, 02:56 PM   #4
Loyalty4Life
macrumors regular

One of the most boring presentations I've ever seen. Had to turn it off.
Loyalty4Life is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 02:57 PM   #5
cymerc
macrumors member

SAMI: the perfect example of an acronym who's words were chosen for the sake of the acronym.
cymerc is offline   33 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 02:58 PM   #6
bawbac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyalty4Life View Post
I think hiring Tim Cook's writer wasn't the best thing to do.
Old May 28, 2014, 02:59 PM   #7
Mums
macrumors 6502

Oh SAMESONG! You're so pathetic.
Mums is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 03:00 PM   #8
bpcookson
macrumors 6502

Umm... am I missing the source link? Call me crazy, but I don't see a single link in the entire post. That's just weird, right?
bpcookson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 03:01 PM   #9
Windlasher
macrumors 6502

I see and the Apple this, Samsung that, comments coming in this thread.

But you do have to find it amusing that These Tech rags, announce that apple bought product A to augment Product B, and Samsung drops in a month before with an almost identical concept.

Six months from now after Apple launches a biometric product This thread will be filled with Samsung did it first but Apple did it better rants.

The only way we can prove it once in for all is if Apple buys enough companies to make the next great "iproduct" completely in house and has absolutely ZERO leaks.

Better yet, If I was Apple, I would announce a completely viable but BS product including scheduled leaks and product images.... And then NEVER release it. (kinda like the iTV).
Windlasher is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 03:02 PM   #10
guerro
macrumors regular

If only Apple would rumor that they intend to come out with a cure for cancer, every other phone/electronics company would try to beat Apple to market with the cure. Amazing how a mere inkling from Apple can drive the competition.
guerro is offline   38 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 03:03 PM   #11
mattopotamus
macrumors 604

trying to beat that keynote.
mattopotamus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 03:04 PM   #12
Mousse
macrumors 65816

This would be useful in a hospital or as an outpatient tool. But for the life of me, I cannot think of a reason the general populous would want to constantly monitor their current health. I see this leading to lots and lots of cases of hypochondria.

"Oh no! My BP is 10 points higher than normal!" The stress of worrying about high blood pressure causes blood pressure to increase some more. Ack! Vicious circle.
Old May 28, 2014, 03:05 PM   #13
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

Those icons' shadows don't even all have the same angle. The one on the left even has non-parallel shadow lines...
pgiguere1 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 03:05 PM   #14
PBG4 Dude
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerro View Post
If only Apple would rumor that they intend to come out with a cure for cancer, every other phone/electronics company would try to beat Apple to market with the cure. Amazing how a mere inkling from Apple can drive the competition.
I was hoping more companies would build spaceships after Apple announced they were building one.
PBG4 Dude is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 03:07 PM   #15
KdParker
macrumors 68040

ok. Now it has been announced, how about tell some details on how the wearable works.
KdParker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 03:07 PM   #16
bpcookson
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiguere1 View Post
Those icons' shadows don't even all have the same angle. The one on the left even has non-parallel shadow lines...
Ha! You're totally right. They would have been better served with no shadows at all!
bpcookson is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 03:07 PM   #17
chumpy34
macrumors regular

If I was Tim Cook, I would create a new team at Apple to come up with crazy products designs or at least prototypes (that are fake) just to see how many Samsung copies and releases. Would be fun to watch...
chumpy34 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 03:09 PM   #18
Rogifan
macrumors G3

I know announcing this right before WWDC was intentional but it seems like stupid timing because the tech media is focused on the Re/Code conference right now (of which it doesn't appear that Samsung is participating in).
Old May 28, 2014, 03:10 PM   #19
ineedamac
macrumors 6502

Couldn't they have found something better to hold the device other than some man's hairy arm?
ineedamac is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 03:10 PM   #20
brendu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousse View Post
This would be useful in a hospital or as an outpatient tool. But for the life of me, I cannot think of a reason the general populous would want to constantly monitor their current health. I see this leading to lots and lots of cases of hypochondria.

"Oh no! My BP is 10 points higher than normal!" The stress of worrying about high blood pressure causes blood pressure to increase some more. Ack! Vicious circle.
This is mostly a proof of concept and a backbone for developers to build on. Final products that go for sale to consumers will likely end up doing much much more and the health tacking will be a secondary benefit of wearing the device. That seems to be the way apple is heading with the iWatch. After all the lawsuits for copying I understand why Samsung wanted to announce this before WWDC. I'm very eager to see how apple responds to this so that developers target apples products first. I am sure that is apples goal. Get the developers busy working on their platform so android wear and this initiative by Samsung don't gain much traction.
brendu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 03:11 PM   #21
NachoGrande
macrumors 6502a

Click image for larger version

Name:	12613119.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	473986
Old May 28, 2014, 03:12 PM   #22
coolfactor
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyalty4Life View Post
Where is a link to this presentation?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoGrande View Post
Remember when displaying "Mo" for Monday was cool and acceptable? Not these days.
coolfactor is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 03:12 PM   #23
jozero
macrumors member

I can't believe an entire company exists just to be the hardware equivalent of the internet 'First !' meme.
jozero is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 03:13 PM   #24
coolfactor
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedamac View Post
Couldn't they have found something better to hold the device other than some man's hairy arm?
It's Samsung. They are oblivious to such details. Just look at the icons on the marketing materials... total amateur job, but good enough for them.
coolfactor is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 03:14 PM   #25
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
Quote:
Samsung president Young Sohn compared the company's health efforts to a car dashboard for the human body
He then added, "And once we have a better idea of what Apple's doing with CarPlay, we'll release an actual car dashboard too."

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion