Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adn rcd dly

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Still very happy with the iMac 2009 i7, maxed out with 16Gb and 256 SSD. I never owned a computer that long. I just don't see the need to upgrade any time soon.

Until Apple forces me with OSX 10.10 that won't support my current iMac.

I just bought my roommates 2009 27" iMac and I feel the same. He did a nice SSD upgrade and I am loving it. I hope that OS X will be supported for a few years more on it :D

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
So, 3 new devices listed. One without a monitor, new Mac Mini rebranded as iMac or headless iMac?????

One with integrated graphics only and two with discrete graphics in addition. Presumably there will be a 21" integrated model with a lower price point as the entry level.

----------

yes, I thought the same: why no "display" in the first model/plist file ... that would be strange. iMac without display as the new mini?

It's not saying no display, it's saying integrated GPU only. Just like the MBAs without discrete graphics processors.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Update 3:30 PM PT: Apple appears to have pulled the 10.9.4 beta from the Mac App Store and Developer Center four hours after it was released. No reason was given for the removal.

No. It hasn't been pulled. It just hasn't yet been put onto the downloads page in the mac dev center. I agree that this might give the impression that it has been pulled, but it hasn't.

You can still get it from the mac app store if you have the mavericks seed configuration utility installed - or the direct links in apple's developer forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Still very happy with the iMac 2009 i7, maxed out with 16Gb and 256 SSD. I never owned a computer that long. I just don't see the need to upgrade any time soon.

Until Apple forces me with OSX 10.10 that won't support my current iMac.

My 2007 iMac supports OS X 10.9 (it's the absolute oldest Mac that does, unless I'm mistaken) so I'd imagine your 2009 will support OS X 10.10 and possibly the next version after that. Mine on the other hand... I suspect apple is going to force me to replace it this year or else be left behind as far as software updates... As an OS X and iOS developer, that would be rather bad for me, I think.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
No. It hasn't been pulled. It just hasn't yet been put onto the downloads page in the mac dev center. I agree that this might give the impression that it has been pulled, but it hasn't.

You can still get it from the mac app store if you have the mavericks seed configuration utility installed - or the direct links in apple's developer forums.

I can confirm this.

Attachments

• Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    80.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Untitled3.png
    Untitled3.png
    167.9 KB · Views: 101

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
I think the reference is a 21" with IGPU and 27" DGPU models. This could be speed bumps with TB2. Broadwell will take the same socket as the refreshed Haswell so it would be a simple refresh when they are available.

my guess is a retina upgrade also.

Scratch that for the latest update.
Cheaper probably means non retina and possibly no TB2.

Last edited:

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
The downloads page in the mac dev center has been updated now, as Peace has shown to include the 10.9.4 beta.

So macrumors really should correct the story.

Apple never actually pulled it.

Sometimes they pull things from their server and then reupload them - and then the links change. But the links for this beta never changed - so this means apple NEVER pulled it.

Abacus2039

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2012
My 2007 iMac supports OS X 10.9 (it's the absolute oldest Mac that does, unless I'm mistaken) so I'd imagine your 2009 will support OS X 10.10 and possibly the next version after that. Mine on the other hand... I suspect apple is going to force me to replace it this year or else be left behind as far as software updates... As an OS X and iOS developer, that would be rather bad for me, I think.

Just because you can't update the OS doesn't mean you're forced to replace it. It will keep on chugging along doing what it does as well as it does now.

Even after their computing days are gone iMacs can live on.

We have an oldish 2.4gHz dual core iMac with an Eye TV plug in our bedroom. The display is as good as its ever been. It runs Snow Leopard and works just fine as a TV/recorder/iTunes device. It will keep doing that until something breaks.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
Yes, but an iMac without a display is a ridiculous concept.

Not at all (although an iMac without display and with only integrated GPU would be exactly a Mini, so this would be a rebranding rather than a new model).

But a displayless iMac wouldn't be ridiculous. I owned a G5 iMac for almost a decade (it had a long life), and the way it died made me affirm that I don't want another iMac in this time of crisis: I want that a malfunction in the computer doesn't affect the display and vice versa, and I want to be able to purchase them separately. If the iMac had no display I would have bought one already these years. But the Mac marketing strategy made me wait (ie: if you don't care you can get a Mini; if you want a better GPU you can get an iMac but then I force you to get a display; otherwise, if you want a good GPU without the display get a Mac Pro).

My next Mac will probably be a Mac Pro. If there were iMacs without display (but with discrete GPU), it would surely be an iMac.

I also agree with the previous poster who said this should be in the front page. In fact, it's the only interesting rumor for the last weeks. All other rumors these weeks are about phones or music shops (ie: boring)

Last edited:

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Not at all (although an iMac without display and with only integrated GPU would be exactly a Mini, so this would be a rebranding rather than a new model).

But a displayless iMac wouldn't be ridiculous. I owned a G5 iMac for almost a decade (it had a long life), and the way it died made me affirm that I don't want another iMac in this time of crisis: I want that a malfunction in the computer doesn't affect the display and vice versa, and I want to be able to purchase them separately. If the iMac had no display I would have bought one already these years. But the Mac marketing strategy made me wait (ie: if you don't care you can get a Mini; if you want a better GPU you can get an iMac but then I force you to get a display; otherwise, if you want a good GPU without the display get a Mac Pro).

My next Mac will probably be a Mac Pro. If there were iMacs without display (but with discrete GPU), it would surely be an iMac.

I also agree with the previous poster who said this should be in the front page. In fact, it's the only interesting rumor for the last weeks. All other rumors these weeks are about phones or music shops (ie: boring)

You totally missed the point. An iMac is and always has been an all-in-one Mac. An iMac without a screen is like an airplane that doesn't fly; the defining feature of a plane is that it flies. The defining quality of an iMac is that it is an all-in-one. How can this be difficult to understand? Explain to me the difference between a Mac Mini and an iMac without a screen. The Mac Mini is already designed to solve all the issues you raised.

Hey maybe they can make a screen-less MacBook Pro while they're at it.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
I'm waiting for a retina 27" iMac. I know it could be a while, but my 2011 i7 doesn't feel sluggish at all, so it will take a major feature to get me to jump.

I will wait until retina too. I'm still enjoying my 2008 iMac :)

----------

force you? You can still use Mavericks after that, which is a great SO.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
I think the yes/no answer to the question of whether apple pulled it or not has now become more complicated.

The delta beta update is still available to developers through the mac app store as well as the direct link on apple's developer forums.

But to complicate the situation, it now seems that the combo beta update is no longer available through the mac app store.

But I still maintain that even this hasn't been "pulled" because the direct link for that is still working.

What is strange though is that the combo file size for this 10.9.4 beta is 480.2MB whereas the combo for 10.9.3 on apple's website is 947.2 MB.

Why would a 10.9.4 combo be about half the size of a 10.9.3 combo? That's very weird. I know apple do weird things from time to time, but that might be too weird even for apple!

I suspect that apple may make a better combo for this beta before the next beta is released.

So the answer to the question of whether the beta was pulled is still no, but as for the combo, this may get a new version soon.

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Just because you can't update the OS doesn't mean you're forced to replace it. It will keep on chugging along doing what it does as well as it does now.

Even after their computing days are gone iMacs can live on.

We have an oldish 2.4gHz dual core iMac with an Eye TV plug in our bedroom. The display is as good as its ever been. It runs Snow Leopard and works just fine as a TV/recorder/iTunes device. It will keep doing that until something breaks.

Yes.. I specifically said I could keep it without further updates, and then explained why it would be bad.

I do need to get a headless Mac, probably a Mac Mini, to serve as a web server. Right now I'm having my iMac do it but it's taking a toll on it being both a web server and my main computer).

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
Explain to me the difference between a Mac Mini and an iMac without a screen.
You didn't read my message. I said "an iMac without display and with only integrated GPU would be exactly a Mini, so this would be a rebranding rather than a new model"
The Mac Mini is already designed to solve all the issues you raised.
The iMac has discrete GPU, while the Mini doesn't. I'm waiting for deciding my next Mac purchase, I didn't buy an iMac because it has a display, nor a Mini because it lacks a discrete GPU. If there was an iMac with discrete GPU and without display, I would have bought it already. Chances are I'll go the Mac Pro way.

CreatePro

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2014
UK
This definitely looks a high res 4K model with added GPU acceleration on 2 models and a standard 2K display entry model, it would make complete sense!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.