Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 29, 2014, 12:30 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Eddy Cue: It's 'Complicated' Solving Problems With TV

Eddy Cue, Apple's SVP of Internet Software and Services, and new Apple employee Jimmy Iovine sat down with Re/code's Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher tonight at the inaugural Code Conference and were asked about the much-rumored Apple TV.

Echoing past Apple sentiments, Cue said today's TV experience "sucks" and has "a long way to go." He confirmed that Apple is continuing to work on a way to improve television, but a fix is "complicated."

Quote:
The problems aren't complicated. Solving them is complicated, because there are lots of parties involved.
According to Cue, many of the problems with TV are related to a lack of global standards and complicated rights issues with content; issues that are far easier to deal with in the music industry. Cue does confirm, however, that Apple is talking with various industry players to work on fixing TV.

Specifically, Cue noted that Comcast CEO Brian Roberts "is the best" and that Cue himself is a Comcast subscriber that is able to watch ESPN and HBO on his Apple TV, which he says Apple will keep evolving and improving. He noted that Apple is looking to add even more content. In March, it was reported that Apple was in talks with Comcast about a potential streaming TV service on a future Apple TV.

Despite Steve Jobs biographer Walter Isaacson speculating that Iovine could be key in any potential TV deals, Iovine told Swisher and Mossberg that he was "not going anywhere near TV". He did, however, acknowledge the challenges of movie curation, pointing to difficulties in finding content to watch on the various video-on-demand platforms like iTunes and streaming services like Netflix.

Article Link: Eddy Cue: It's 'Complicated' Solving Problems With TV
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 12:31 AM   #2
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

It's complicated...
Last edited by spyguy10709; Tomorrow at 07:10 AM.
spyguy10709 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 12:31 AM   #3
CrazyForApple
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to CrazyForApple
well i hope they do it well
CrazyForApple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 12:33 AM   #4
sbrhwkp3
macrumors 6502a

I want streaming TV service pretty badly. Stop grouping these channel packages together and let me pick and choose my content.
sbrhwkp3 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 12:33 AM   #5
SnarkyBear
macrumors newbie

Specifically, Cue noted that Comcast CEO Brian Roberts "is the best"

Is this guy in the same universe as the rest of us? My experience with Comcast is horrible and gets worse every time I have to deal with them. Maybe Comcast has a special package for VIP's.
SnarkyBear is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 12:36 AM   #6
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrhwkp3 View Post
I want streaming TV service pretty badly. Stop grouping these channel packages together and let me pick and choose my content.
*insert link to torrent site here*
Last edited by spyguy10709; Tomorrow at 07:10 AM.
spyguy10709 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 12:41 AM   #7
mikethebigo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnarkyBear View Post

Is this guy in the same universe as the rest of us? My experience with Comcast is horrible and gets worse every time I have to deal with them. Maybe Comcast has a special package for VIP's.
Yeah, that line made me shudder.
Old May 29, 2014, 12:41 AM   #8
DTphonehome
macrumors 65816

If Comcast is "the best", then that sums up why we're not going to see anything revolutionary anytime soon. They hold too much control and they aren't going to cede any of it to Apple or anyone else.
DTphonehome is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 12:42 AM   #9
arkmannj
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to arkmannj
I would actually be surprised if Eddie did not have about every entertainment service there is. (comcast, dish, etc.., etc...)
arkmannj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 12:44 AM   #10
fun173
macrumors Demi-God

Cue the snarky comments.

I'll see myself out...
fun173 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 12:44 AM   #11
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Iovine says he's not going anywhere near TV. So all these people putting lipstick on a pig saying Iovine was Apple's answer to content deals are full of it. Apple paid $3B to get someone to curate music for them. If I took a shot every time Eddy or Jimmy used the word curation I'd be drunk right now.
Old May 29, 2014, 12:47 AM   #12
HiRez
macrumors 601

If Cue really thinks the Comcast model is "the best", I have no hope of the mess ever getting "fixed". For the most part I don't think people are asking for the existing cable experience just made available on iOS devices.
Old May 29, 2014, 12:54 AM   #13
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Iovine says he's not going anywhere near TV. So all these people putting lipstick on a pig saying Iovine was Apple's answer to content deals are full of it. Apple paid $3B to get someone to curate music for them. If I took a shot every time Eddy or Jimmy used the word curation I'd be drunk right now.
You can't expect him to say otherwise at this time. Iovine admitting he's already involved in TV negotiations, after only just about to be joining Apple would create a lot of, at this point undesirable, expectations. He's too smart of a man to not realize that.
Old May 29, 2014, 01:17 AM   #14
mozumder
macrumors 6502a

I don't mind the live-TV experience at all.
mozumder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 01:26 AM   #15
Parasprite
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozumder View Post
I don't mind the live-TV experience at all.
The live-TV experience is fine although somewhat pricy for me. However, the exclusivity treatment (by the tele companies, movie, etc.) are a good part of the reason we don't have as much on [Netflix] and the like (licensing issues, particularly regional).

The other big part being that [Netflix] doesn't make them nearly enough money for them to justify it.
Old May 29, 2014, 02:17 AM   #16
sfrancis928
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez View Post
If Cue really thinks the Comcast model is "the best", I have no hope of the mess ever getting "fixed". For the most part I don't think people are asking for the existing cable experience just made available on iOS devices.
He didn't say the Comcast model was the best. He said the CEO of Comcast is "the best." Like, "he's a cool dude..."
sfrancis928 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 02:58 AM   #17
Michael CM1
macrumors 603

I would settle for broadcast apps with subscriptions for live and on demand content. I get series for most networks from Hulu, but I have zip as far as access to stuff like sports and news. If satellite and cable providers can negotiate his for about $5/month, I don't see why a Apple can't.

Before everybody tells me about antennas, I tried that. Big bag of hurt where I live. I think I got three channels, and I really don't want to drop $100 or more on outdoor ones that still may not pick up the signals.
Old May 29, 2014, 02:59 AM   #18
sw1tcher
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnarkyBear View Post

Did you expect Cue to come out saying that Comcast is terrible?

If prior reports of Apple having had talks with Comcast about a streaming TV service for Apple TV were true, and Apple is still interested in or pursuing such a service, then it would be a bad idea to not say something positive about Comcast.

Apple's trying to score brownie points
sw1tcher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 03:40 AM   #19
ErikGrim
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ErikGrim Send a message via MSN to ErikGrim
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrancis928 View Post
He didn't say the Comcast model was the best. He said the CEO of Comcast is "the best." Like, "he's a cool dude..."
Like “he’s a cool dude and we have to work with him so ixnay on the comsucky, kay?"
ErikGrim is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 03:46 AM   #20
Mildredop
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasprite View Post
The live-TV experience is fine although somewhat pricy for me. However, the exclusivity treatment (by the tele companies, movie, etc.) are a good part of the reason we don't have as much on [Netflix] and the like (licensing issues, particularly regional).

The other big part being that [Netflix] doesn't make them nearly enough money for them to justify it.
Why do you keep putting Netflix in brackets?
Mildredop is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 04:06 AM   #21
isomorphic
macrumors regular

"It's complicated."

Translation:

People with total control over the means of providing you with video, whether through overt conspiracy or as a result of market forces unrestrained by inept government, have joined with the people who have total control over the production of video "entertainment," in order to do anything and everything to keep you paying as much as possible for as little quality as they can get away with, in only those forms that they select, only at times of their choosing, and in a manner as close as possible to their archaic business model.
isomorphic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 04:38 AM   #22
Cigsm
macrumors member

HBO is $20 Per month. Why do you think the networks would suddenly be willing to drop their price 75% AND have less subscribers? It's exactly wht an a la care model doesn't work. It would be way more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael CM1 View Post
I would settle for broadcast apps with subscriptions for live and on demand content. I get series for most networks from Hulu, but I have zip as far as access to stuff like sports and news. If satellite and cable providers can negotiate his for about $5/month, I don't see why a Apple can't.

Before everybody tells me about antennas, I tried that. Big bag of hurt where I live. I think I got three channels, and I really don't want to drop $100 or more on outdoor ones that still may not pick up the signals.
Cigsm is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 04:46 AM   #23
MH01
macrumors 68040

When Eddy says today TV experience sucks, he means he is throwing his toys out the pram cause the networks refuse it do it the apple way.

Eddy mate, if you were serious about TV you would make more of an effort with Apple TV and work within the challenges that exist.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by isomorphic View Post
"It's complicated."

Translation:

People with total control over the means of providing you with video, whether through overt conspiracy or as a result of market forces unrestrained by inept government, have joined with the people who have total control over the production of video "entertainment," in order to do anything and everything to keep you paying as much as possible for as little quality as they can get away with, in only those forms that they select, only at times of their choosing, and in a manner as close as possible to their archaic business model.
And apple cannot find a way to get their 30% cut.....
MH01 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 04:47 AM   #24
crispyking
macrumors newbie

Quote:
According to Cue, many of the problems with TV are related to a lack of global standards and complicated rights issues with content; issues that are far easier to deal with in the music industry.
Easier to deal with in the music industry? How many countries is iTunes Radio available in? That's right, 2.
crispyking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 05:06 AM   #25
apolloa
macrumors 601

Sigh.. TV is not broken, I turn it on and watch, I can choose from several streaming services, free HD sattelite services, subscription sattelite services, terrestrial HD services through an aerial, I have tons of choice of how to watch and tons of different devices to watch it on.

I think its only Americans that think TV is broken, otherwise I have always found Apples view to be finding a solution to a problem that doesn't exist in the rest of the world. Oh and its trying to find a way to make its standard 30% cut of everything.
apolloa is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion