Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 28, 2014, 11:47 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
iTunes Hits New Milestones, Will Help Leverage Growth of Beats' 250,000 Subscriber Base




Speaking at today's Re/code Code Conference, Apple's SVP of internet services Eddy Cue and Beats co-founder Jimmy Iovine shared some new numbers on iTunes and Beats Music in the wake of today's acquisition.

Apple internet chief Eddy Cue (left) and Beats co-founder Jimmy Iovine (right)
Cue mentioned that the iTunes Store and iTunes Radio hit new milestones, with the former selling its 35 billionth song and the latter now including over 40 million listeners around the world.

Speaking on the newly formed relationship between Apple and Beats, Cue noted that Apple's great rapport with artists, data on listening habits, and 800 million iTunes accounts with credit cards attached contributes a great deal. "We think all of those things, when you put them all together, it's on steroids with us together," he expressed.

Meanwhile, Iovine announced that Beats Music, currently limited to the U.S., now has 250,000 subscribers since it launched three months ago. A report earlier this month pegged the service's subscriber base at just 110,000 during the month of March, illustrating how the service has grown since then. By contrast, rival music streaming service Spotify reported earlier this month that it has 10 million paying subscribers worldwide.

Iovine added that Beats made a mistake by not offering in-app purchases from the start, and stated that 5 million people have "visited" the service since it launched. After today's announcement, the Beats Music iOS app was updated with an extended 14-day trial period and a price drop to its yearly subscription to $100 from $120.

Article Link: iTunes Hits New Milestones, Will Help Leverage Growth of Beats' 250,000 Subscriber Base
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 11:49 PM   #2
CrazyForApple
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Buffalo, NY
Send a message via AIM to CrazyForApple
I hope they won't add Beats to iTunes and make it another Ping
CrazyForApple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 11:58 PM   #3
1080p
macrumors 68000
 
1080p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Planet Earth
I was hoping for Apple to convert the service to some sort of buy up for iTunes Match. Make iTunes Match free, and offer streaming for $49.99 per year. THAT would make waves!
__________________
2012 Mac Mini Quad Core i7 | OSX Yosemite | iPhone 6 | Synology NAS
1080p is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 12:06 AM   #4
macs4nw
macrumors 68020
 
macs4nw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On Safari…..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
…..Meanwhile, Iovine announced that Beats Music, currently limited to the U.S., now has 250,000 subscribers since it launched three months ago. A report earlier this month pegged the service's subscriber base at just 110,000 during the month of March, illustrating how the service has grown since then…..

Article Link: iTunes Hits New Milestones, Will Help Leverage Growth of Beats' 250,000 Subscriber Base
That's actually quite impressive, for an upstart, in an industry that's getting pretty crowded.
__________________
Due to my aversion to bragging and clichés, no words of wisdom to be found on this line.....
macs4nw is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 12:08 AM   #5
bpeeps
macrumors 65816
 
bpeeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
There's just something about actually owning the physical copy that appeals to me so much more than streaming.
bpeeps is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 12:13 AM   #6
hlfway2anywhere
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
There's just something about actually owning the physical copy that appeals to me so much more than streaming.
You can do both pretty inexpensively.

I only buy physical copies on vinyl, because CDs are pretty pointless at this point. They're just a vessel to get the songs onto your portable music player and then end up on a shelf or in a box somewhere in my case.

Vinyls have a totally different novelty to them with huge artwork and whatnot, so I love them.

I buy the albums I really want to own, and else I just stream.
hlfway2anywhere is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 12:13 AM   #7
karstas
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
The main problem with Apple streaming service is that way too small list of available countries. Even they can't extend for more than years iCloud two-step authentication to more countries while other IT companies have alread done long time ago
karstas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 12:19 AM   #8
borneo76
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Indonesia
when it will be able to streaming outside the U.S?
borneo76 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 12:27 AM   #9
lk400
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Not a bad interview, but didnt really bring up anything new. Apple like beats, been working together with Iovine for a long time, want the streaming service, want the headphones too, see benefit in Iovine's links to the industry... etc etc. I wasnt expecting revealing their secret plans, but was hoping for something more than the obvioius.

I guess time will tell.
lk400 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 12:54 AM   #10
0xyMoron
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: California
Hands-off approach and this might actually make Apple an important player in the music streaming business.
__________________
Twitter
0xyMoron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 01:02 AM   #11
sputnikv
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
i downloaded the beats music app out of curiosity, and this might not be saying much, but it kicks the crap out of apple's itunes match and itunes genius with regards to speed and recommendations respectively. i actually very much like it
sputnikv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 01:21 AM   #12
ksuyen
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikv View Post
i downloaded the beats music app out of curiosity, and this might not be saying much, but it kicks the crap out of apple's itunes match and itunes genius with regards to speed and recommendations respectively. i actually very much like it
Well it's a moot point since Beat is Apple's now.
ksuyen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 01:36 AM   #13
tdtran1025
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
As much as Iovine likes to extoll the virtue of "whats next", Beats is irritating. It does not let me input the first choice as it forces me to accept lousy offerings till. I get tired of it and shut it off. I don't see any ingenuity in it Iovine!
And your headphones are not worth the price.
3bn dollars for those two guys to negotiate music royalties is nuts. Apple could have lessen demand, take a smaller profit and labels would sign.
tdtran1025 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 01:36 AM   #14
LastQuadrant
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
I was hoping for Apple to convert the service to some sort of buy up for iTunes Match. Make iTunes Match free, and offer streaming for $49.99 per year. THAT would make waves!
Yeah, it would also make Apple make no profits. I think they need to increase the file size limitations with Match since there are people that are using 24 bit sound files and concerts where the file exceeds Apple's limitations and won't allow them to be stored on the servers.

I don't mind paying for Match because it's not that expensive to store on servers so I can have the content backed up safely, I just need them to allow larger files sizes.

As far as Beats is concerned? I just tried Beats Music trial. HATED IT. They paid $3 Billion for this? What a joke. It's awful. Now I see why Beats Music didn't get many subscribers.

I think Cook was stupid allowing Dre and Iodine as part of Apple. Dre is going to damage Apple's reputation amongst the educated crowd of people that are disgusted by Dre's music and the crowd of people he is associated with. Dre isn't a positive representation of the Black Community and it sets a bad example. Iovine isn't what I consider the best the music industry has to offer. He may know what the kids want, but that's not the only crowd Apple has to cater to. I think Apple would have better to have done a subscription service on their own, and if they wanted the headphone market, they could have easily spent far less money in having a better line of headphones created/mfg and just spend more time rather than trying to "BUY" into the market. Since Apple probably sells a large amount of Beats Headphones, it wouldn't be too easy to unseat them. All they would have to do is come out with a few models of headphones, removing the Beats headphones from the stores and putting their own headphones on the shelves instead. They could have gotten a cross section of the music industry that ranges from all of the styles of music to approve and endorse Apple's own design rather than just the rap/hiphop/superficial pop world endorsing Beats.

I think Cook has lost his mind, as far as I'm concerned, he blew it, and there might be some backlash because there are a lot of educated cultured people that do NOT endorse the thug/gang mentality that Dre brings to the table. He is DEFINITELY not a representation of the entire Black culture of America or the world for that matter. He and his buddies are illiterate, thugs that degrade women, each other, and promote a VERY disgusting way of life that Apple doesn't need.
LastQuadrant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 01:49 AM   #15
sw1tcher
macrumors 6502a
 
sw1tcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Meanwhile, Iovine announced that Beats Music, currently limited to the U.S., now has 250,000 subscribers since it launched three months ago. A report earlier this month pegged the service's subscriber base at just 110,000 during the month of March, illustrating how the service has grown since then.
But how many of those 250,000 are paying subscribers vs those still on a free trial?

Quote:
After today's announcement, the Beats Music iOS app was updated with an extended 14-day trial period
sw1tcher is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 02:04 AM   #16
TsMkLg068426
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Yeah! Need some more Rap and Pop music when listening to a Trance artist in iTunes radio this all will improve iTunes radio.....
__________________
21.5" iMac, 2.7GHz, Intel Core i5, 4GB Memory, 1 TB HD, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2; 32 GB iPod Touch iOS 5.0.1
TsMkLg068426 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 02:07 AM   #17
1080p
macrumors 68000
 
1080p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastQuadrant View Post
Yeah, it would also make Apple make no profits.
You are missing the big picture. Music has NEVER been a direct profit driver for Apple. Apple has always used music to sell HARDWARE. iTunes was created to sell iPods. iCloud was created to sell iOS devices, and Macs. Apple creates these free/cheap services that are designed to lock you into their ecosystem and force you into buying their hardware. Apple is merely reacting to industry changes. People want streaming subscriptions instead of buying tracks. Apple could offer it at $49-59 per year, not make any money on it directly, but could use it to drive iPhone, iPod and iPad sales.
__________________
2012 Mac Mini Quad Core i7 | OSX Yosemite | iPhone 6 | Synology NAS
1080p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 02:24 AM   #18
freddiecable
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Sweden
Only US?

Not even close to million users?

This has to be scaled fast to make sense.

Also - why not also buy dropbox to improve iCloud?

For headphones - Beyerdynamic is My choice for sound quality.
__________________
iMac 27" i7 3TB Fusion 680 MX, iMac 27" i7 2,93, MBA i7 13" 512GB SSD, iPad Mini 32GB, Nexus 5 (waiting for iPhone 6), iPod Nano Gen 2, iPod Shuffle Gen 4, TV 2 x 2, Airport Extreme & Express

Last edited by freddiecable; May 29, 2014 at 02:29 AM.
freddiecable is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 02:28 AM   #19
captain kaos
macrumors 65816
 
captain kaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney
5 million may have visited, but with 250,000 signed up thats 4.75million that decided not to go ahead....
__________________
I do PC, Linux & .
Need a photographer in Sydney? Visit me at www.creativeninja.com.au
captain kaos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 03:07 AM   #20
macplay
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Netherlands
 
Is it just me..or the looks of Jimmy area bit similar to Steve Jobs
__________________
macbook air 128Gb, 24" Aluminum iMac, 2.8 GHz, 6 GB RAM, 500 GB, ipad retina 16Gb, iphone 4s 16Gb
macplay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 03:30 AM   #21
Cigsm
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
iTunes Hits New Milestones, Will Help Leverage Growth of Beats' 250,000 Subsc...

Your ignorance is absolutely astounding. If you don't think a man who has gone on to make half a billion dollars on his own as not only a successful recording artist, not only a successful producer, but a successful businessman is a positive representation of the black community, then you're a few crayolas short of a crayon box.

Spotify started didn't start out with millions of subscribers. These guys have been out 3 months and they've got a quarter of a million subscribers already.

I'm a highly educated person and I absolutely love Dre, so your argument holds absolutely zero water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastQuadrant View Post
Yeah, it would also make Apple make no profits. I think they need to increase the file size limitations with Match since there are people that are using 24 bit sound files and concerts where the file exceeds Apple's limitations and won't allow them to be stored on the servers.



I don't mind paying for Match because it's not that expensive to store on servers so I can have the content backed up safely, I just need them to allow larger files sizes.



As far as Beats is concerned? I just tried Beats Music trial. HATED IT. They paid $3 Billion for this? What a joke. It's awful. Now I see why Beats Music didn't get many subscribers.



I think Cook was stupid allowing Dre and Iodine as part of Apple. Dre is going to damage Apple's reputation amongst the educated crowd of people that are disgusted by Dre's music and the crowd of people he is associated with. Dre isn't a positive representation of the Black Community and it sets a bad example. Iovine isn't what I consider the best the music industry has to offer. He may know what the kids want, but that's not the only crowd Apple has to cater to. I think Apple would have better to have done a subscription service on their own, and if they wanted the headphone market, they could have easily spent far less money in having a better line of headphones created/mfg and just spend more time rather than trying to "BUY" into the market. Since Apple probably sells a large amount of Beats Headphones, it wouldn't be too easy to unseat them. All they would have to do is come out with a few models of headphones, removing the Beats headphones from the stores and putting their own headphones on the shelves instead. They could have gotten a cross section of the music industry that ranges from all of the styles of music to approve and endorse Apple's own design rather than just the rap/hiphop/superficial pop world endorsing Beats.



I think Cook has lost his mind, as far as I'm concerned, he blew it, and there might be some backlash because there are a lot of educated cultured people that do NOT endorse the thug/gang mentality that Dre brings to the table. He is DEFINITELY not a representation of the entire Black culture of America or the world for that matter. He and his buddies are illiterate, thugs that degrade women, each other, and promote a VERY disgusting way of life that Apple doesn't need.

Last edited by Cigsm; May 29, 2014 at 03:30 AM. Reason: typo
Cigsm is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 07:03 AM   #22
malexandria
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Android for iTunes?

Since Beats was built for Android, does this mean we could see iTunes compatibility with Android or will Apple makes Beats an iOS exclusive? I'm guessing it'll be iOS exclusive but it would be cool if it was the former. At the very least I'm hoping we'll finally get a new, modern iTunes - but then maybe not since Apple's recent UI Moves (iMovie comes to mind) have been terrible.
malexandria is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 07:34 AM   #23
Smigit
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddiecable View Post
Only US?

Also - why not also buy dropbox to improve iCloud?
I recall reading an article that stated Jobs was in talks to buy them but Dropbox ultimately turned him down. iCloud was then developed as a response.
Smigit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 10:06 AM   #24
orthorim
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
There's just something about actually owning the physical copy that appeals to me so much more than streaming.
My wife has started to just 'stream' everything from YouTube. All the music is there anyway, there's playlists, and it works really well.

Pretty much everyone's doing that now. It proves that streaming can be a good thing. I am not sure how you'd convince people that they should pay for it, given that they already get it for free, but I suppose I'd start by offering a better service than YouTube. Maybe Beats streaming is that better service?!

Another note: Jesus H Christ, 800 Million credit cards? That's insane. There is so much they could do there...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by malexandria View Post
Since Beats was built for Android, does this mean we could see iTunes compatibility with Android or will Apple makes Beats an iOS exclusive? I'm guessing it'll be iOS exclusive but it would be cool if it was the former. At the very least I'm hoping we'll finally get a new, modern iTunes - but then maybe not since Apple's recent UI Moves (iMovie comes to mind) have been terrible.
I am thinking, and hoping, that they won't be iOS exclusive. I'll stick with iOS personally but I think it's almost always a mistake to limit your whatever added value service to your own platform.

Hopefully Beats will remain an independent subsidiary and do their own branding, marketing, and also services. I am pretty sure they will after all a big chunk of the value of Beats is it's outstanding branding / marketing.
__________________
15" Retina MBP 2.6/16/512. iPhone 5; iPad; iPad 2; iPad (2012). iPad mini.
orthorim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 10:08 AM   #25
JGIGS
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
I think subscription is the answer for artist and customers. It's just who's going to do it better and who will have all the artist/albums.
I still think think apple could have done a better or just as good a job without acquiring beats but maybe they were having issues with the record companies getting a deal done so they bought into it. Only explanation I can think of. That and they want to be in the headphone business?
__________________
15" MacBook Pro Retina 2012, Nexus 5 2013
JGIGS is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beats Music's Subscriber Base Pegged at Just 111,000 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 151 May 19, 2014 09:20 AM
WhatsApp Rival WeChat Continues Strong Growth as User Base Tops 235 Million MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 15 Nov 5, 2013 05:17 PM
Why is $250,000 the magic number? MacNut Politics, Religion, Social Issues 72 Nov 17, 2012 11:56 PM
US adds 171,000 new jobs in October; 25th straight month of job growth zioxide Politics, Religion, Social Issues 20 Nov 4, 2012 02:02 PM
iTunes Match 25,000 limit/Amazon Cloud Player 250,000 limit kingledley Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 Jul 31, 2012 04:03 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC