Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

beats.png
At Re/code's inaugural Code Conference, Apple SVP of Internet Services Eddy Cue confirmed that Beats Music will remain available on Android and Windows Phone after Apple's acquisition of the company. This will make Beats Music Apple's first app for a non-iOS smartphone platform.
Some of these things, like iMessage, are really integrated deeply into the hardware. Those types of opportunites are more difficult to do with other other hardware, but we'll keep providing some services to other platforms. Like Beats, for instance. It's on Android now and we want to keep it that way.
In March, Billboard reported that Apple was considering launching an iTunes app for Android in an effort to take advantage of Android's large marketshare to increase declining music sales.

Beats Music is available for free on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Beats Music' to Remain on Android and Windows Smartphones

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I remember when Apple bought the company that made Shake software, they said it would continue to be available for Windows. And it was, for a year, then the Windows version went away.

Tim098

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2013
In what way is iMessage "deeply integrated into the hardware"?

I think what he meant is deeply integrated into all Apple products, and not the 'hardware' per se. I for one and amazed at how iMessage keeps in perfect sync across devices and even attempts to smartly notify you on the most probably device currently in use at that moment, before the notification arrives on the other devices.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think what he meant is deeply integrated into all Apple products, and not the 'hardware' per se. I for one and amazed at how iMessage keeps in perfect sync across devices and even attempts to smartly notify you on the most probably device currently in use at that moment, before the notification arrives on the other devices.

The notifications are sent to all devices, but once a message is "read" on one, the other devices suppress their notifications. That's the smart part about it. That's the one huge advantage that iMessages has over Viber, WhatsApp and Skype for messaging. I just wish it was as fun as Viber. WhatsApp is okay, and Skype sucks for text-based messaging.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Beats Music has such a tiny number of users, especially when compared to Spotify and the like, that this really isn't a big deal.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I have Deezer "Made for BlackBerry", Spotify for Android works on BlackBerry, Qobuz for Android from the Amazon Appstore started on BlackBerry but did not test further (I want to get some better headphones before starting the free trial because the point would be to get a lossless subscription).

Not interested in checking out if another lossy service works when I have 50% discount on Deezer.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Apple can keep beats off Android for all I care. Knowing Apple, iTunes will be a requirement in a years time for Android owners. No thanks! I don't want that fustration you guys go through. It's bad enough that I have to deal with it for my wife's iPhone.

----------

I wonder what happens to the likes of HTC One with Beats audio speakers/algorithms?

Algorithms? More like a EQ setting and a red beats logo on the back. HTC wised up and dropped beats and went with boom sound; front firing speakers that actually sound better than muffled back/bottom speakers.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Apple can keep beats off Android for all I care. Knowing Apple, iTunes will be a requirement in a years time for Android owners. No thanks! I don't want that fustration you guys go through. It's bad enough that I have to deal with it for my wife's iPhone.

----------

Algorithms? More like a EQ setting and a red beats logo on the back. HTC wised up and dropped beats and went with boom sound; front firing speakers that actually sound better than muffled back/bottom speakers.

What's do horrible about itunes? The PC version sucks, but everything can be done OTA. No difference between it and Google Play.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
What's do horrible about itunes? The PC version sucks, but everything can be done OTA. No difference between it and Google Play.

Don't you see the problem? You need software on you computer to transfer content to the iPhone. On android you plug and play without conversion, put your files anywhere you want and can even remove your sd card to transfer huge amounts of content without the device.
And Google play is just an app store; there is no software installed on your computer. You can however remotely install apps from a browser directly to your device without picking it up.
I even do backups of my apps and data directly to my sd card (physical or partitioned) or to the cloud. Or I can just copy and paste the backup folder to my computer.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Don't you see the problem? You need software on you computer to transfer content to the iPhone. On android you plug and play without conversion, put your files anywhere you want and can even remove your sd card to transfer huge amounts of content without the device.
And Google play is just an app store; there is no software installed on your computer. You can however remotely install apps from a browser directly to your device without picking it up.
I even do backups of my apps and data directly to my sd card (physical or partitioned) or to the cloud. Or I can just copy and paste the backup folder to my computer.

I haven’t plugged my phone into my computer since I set up wireless file transfers last year sometime… Do people still do that? I thought everything was in the cloud these days.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I haven’t plugged my phone into my computer since I set up wireless file transfers last year sometime… Do people still do that? I thought everything was in the cloud these days.

Try transferring 8 gig 1080p MKV files wirelessly which my Note 3 can play silky smooth without conversion. With usb 3.0 it takes a minute or two. Wireless would take forever. Plus with wireless transfer you still need software. At work such software is banned from installation. Itunes is banned from my work place.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Try transferring 8 gig 1080p MKV files wirelessly which my Note 3 can play silky smooth without conversion. With usb 3.0 it takes a minute or two. Wireless would take forever. Plus with wireless transfer you still need software. At work such software is banned from installation. Itunes is banned from my work place.

Ha! Um… no thanks. Mobile screens are way to small to watch movies on, personally. Even the Note. But I’m glad you’ve got a system that works for you. Personally, I haven’t had any issues with iTunes since they released version 11, while my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 crashes every day or two for no discernable reason whatsoever. To quote the signature of someone on these forums who’s name escapes me at the moment, “personal use case. Nothing else matters."

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012

You can have your entire library at your disposal without even owning a computer. I do agree that being able to use a Micro SD card is a huge advantage for some Android devices (most actually), but everything else you mentioned is not applicable. The iCloud, and various other cloud services make owning a PC unnecessary for an iOS user. Of course if you jailbreak or side load software, you will need either a Mac or PC.

----------

Your earlier point was about iOS users having to connect to a computer anytime they wanted to transfer data, and that claim was completely false. Now you've moved the goal post to brag about how fast it is to transfer data from a PC to your Note 3 via USB 3.0. You are correct (it is fast), but that was not your original argument.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.