Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

steve-jobs-iphone-250x176.jpg
Apple's SVP of Internet Services Eddy Cue and Beats co-founder Jimmy Iovine spoke on the impact of Steve Jobs on Apple during an interview with Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher yesterday at the Re/code Code Conference. While the pair noted that a transition was inevitable after Jobs' death, both spoke on Apple's commitment to quality and putting together an exceptional executive team.

When asked about the late-cofounder, Cue noted that Jobs wanted to "create a culture that was going to last longer than he was going to be CEO." Cue also maintained that the company's values remain in strong attention to every detail and putting product quality first, all while "doing a few things and doing them really great."

Cue was also asked if Apple had to go through a "reset" period when Jobs passed away three years ago and his current feelings on the company:
I never felt like we had a reset. I feel like we have an amazing executive team, many of us who have been there for a long time, working together as a team, building those products whether it's hardware, software, services, completely integrated.

Look, Steve was a great friend, a great mentor, I miss him, you can't say it doesn't mean anything from that standpoint; but when I look at what he set up at Apple and what we're doing, I think he'd be extremely proud of the all the work we're doing today and the products we're building, and I think we're continuing a lot of the legacy he built.
Iovine also commented on the former CEO, praising Apple's executive team and stating that Jobs "put the greatest team in the world together" despite an inevitable transition period for the company. The Beats CEO also admitted that he was surprised on how "flexible" Apple is, noting that it "moves like a small company" despite its large presence.

Cue and Iovine also discussed a number of other topics during the interview, mostly pertaining to Apple's $3 billion acquisition of Beats that was made official yesterday. Cue shared that Apple has the best product pipeline in 25 years coming later this year, all while noting new milestones for iTunes and the company's quest to "fix" the TV experience.

Article Link: Eddy Cue: Steve Jobs Would Be 'Extremely Proud' of Apple's Current and Future Products

e-dan

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2012
He would probably say that Apple's EarPods are better than any Beats' Headphones.

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Remember when the "if Jobs was still alive"-game was played only by douchebag pundits and trolls?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Cue also maintained that the company's values remain in strong attention to every detail and putting product quality first, all while "doing a few things and doing them really great."

*cough*

Oh yeah? What about Radeongate (the Radeon GPU failure that brought so many 2011 15"/17" MBPs to their knees? Where's the QC in that (over-application of thermal paste)? I can understand Apple using unleaded solder, but having over-applied the thermal paste made it a double whammy.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I feel like this article might be fight bait (but thats whats fun about the internet right?).

I am kind of on the fence about this...

They have a lot of "future products" that are really going to be make or break so it could go either way. People are really excited about these future products so I am excited to see how things go.

As for current I admit the iphone innovation as been a little stale over the last 2 years or so.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
We will wait to see if this is true...

They certainly split the pro market with the new Mac Pro if the comments on here are anything to go by.

And as for the comments on quality, well when they released iOS 7 it was like a buggy beta version and I remember 2 of my first gen unibody MacBook Pros having thumb and finger prints behind the screen! Not the quality you expect for a couple of thousand pounds.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Even people who knew any person deceased should be very careful about, ’they would be very proud’, kind of statements. Especially in public.

Cue should have kept his mouth shut.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Yeah , I could just see Steve with a pair of Beats on.....

Looks like the roadmap created with Steve jobs input ran put a few days ago. Welcome to the Cook era!!!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Yeah , I could just see Steve with a pair of Beats on.....

Looks like the roadmap created with Steve jobs input ran put a few days ago. Welcome to the Cook era!!!

Wait until WWDC on Monday, then repeat that comment.

Apple are going to innovate and dominate a new product category, proving the naysayers wrong once again.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
You're right, no company has even thought of putting out a 8gb phone this year. Once again, apple is leading!

Ha. Ha.

Like I said, wait until Monday. I hope you like the taste of your own words. :p

----------

Even people who knew any person deceased should be very careful about, ’they would be very proud’, kind of statements. Especially in public.

Cue should have kept his mouth shut.

Please re-read the article. Cue's exact comment about SJ (when asked about it, this wasn't unprompted), was:

"Look, Steve was a great friend, a great mentor, I miss him, you can't say it doesn't mean anything from that standpoint; but when I look at what he set up at Apple and what we're doing, I think he'd be extremely proud of the all the work we're doing today and the products we're building, and I think we're continuing a lot of the legacy he built."

Important words are in bold. Slightly misleading headline from MacRumours, admittedly, but he was very humble and careful with what he said.

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
I'm not trying to hate, but I really don't see how Apple is as agile as a small company, their products are in the pipeline for years before they're even released, and by that very nature means that can't change it quickly enough to capture new trends.

thaifood

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
At the end of the day, these guys knew Jobs personally and counted him as a friend for a long time. That's a hell of a lot more than anyone on this forum did, or ever will. So people twisting his words or suggesting that Jobs would otherwise like/dislike what the Apple executives are doing really have absolutely no clue, and should keep their useless vitriol to themselves.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Wow! He really said that? I expected him to say "Steve would hate what we're doing, we've completely ruined his company."

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
its weird to me how they still try to milk the SJ "brand" era. the past is the past lets move on to the future and be proud of your own products without always going back to "SJ would have ..."

stand on your own two feet TC (but let someone else do the keynote cuz his voice literally ... zZz ...)

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
From someone who actually knew Steve, unlike these arm-chair WWSD?-experts invoking his name for everything they, personally, don't like, as if they had any concept of his thought process, even when he was alive.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
its weird to me how they still try to milk the SJ "brand" era. the past is the past lets move on to the future and be proud of your own products without always going back to "SJ would have ..."

stand on your own two feet TC (but let someone else do the keynote cuz his voice literally ... zZz ...)

Cue was asked about Steve. What is he supposed to say? Sheesh.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA

They ASKED him! Dang, everybody...

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
You're right, no company has even thought of putting out a 8gb phone this year. Once again, apple is leading!

Countries like India are poor, so they try to put their best product at even good price. SO yes 8Gb is small for nowadays but for that kind of people who sacrifice a lot just to take hands of an apple product i think they are happier than us

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.