Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 29, 2014, 03:34 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Eddy Cue: Steve Jobs Would Be 'Extremely Proud' of Apple's Current and Future Products

Apple's SVP of Internet Services Eddy Cue and Beats co-founder Jimmy Iovine spoke on the impact of Steve Jobs on Apple during an interview with Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher yesterday at the Re/code Code Conference. While the pair noted that a transition was inevitable after Jobs' death, both spoke on Apple's commitment to quality and putting together an exceptional executive team.

When asked about the late-cofounder, Cue noted that Jobs wanted to "create a culture that was going to last longer than he was going to be CEO." Cue also maintained that the company's values remain in strong attention to every detail and putting product quality first, all while "doing a few things and doing them really great."

Cue was also asked if Apple had to go through a "reset" period when Jobs passed away three years ago and his current feelings on the company:
Quote:
I never felt like we had a reset. I feel like we have an amazing executive team, many of us who have been there for a long time, working together as a team, building those products whether it's hardware, software, services, completely integrated.

Look, Steve was a great friend, a great mentor, I miss him, you can't say it doesn't mean anything from that standpoint; but when I look at what he set up at Apple and what we're doing, I think he'd be extremely proud of the all the work we're doing today and the products we're building, and I think we're continuing a lot of the legacy he built.
Iovine also commented on the former CEO, praising Apple's executive team and stating that Jobs "put the greatest team in the world together" despite an inevitable transition period for the company. The Beats CEO also admitted that he was surprised on how "flexible" Apple is, noting that it "moves like a small company" despite its large presence.

Cue and Iovine also discussed a number of other topics during the interview, mostly pertaining to Apple's $3 billion acquisition of Beats that was made official yesterday. Cue shared that Apple has the best product pipeline in 25 years coming later this year, all while noting new milestones for iTunes and the company's quest to "fix" the TV experience.

Article Link: Eddy Cue: Steve Jobs Would Be 'Extremely Proud' of Apple's Current and Future Products
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 03:36 AM   #2
e-dan
macrumors newbie

He would probably say that Apple's EarPods are better than any Beats' Headphones.
e-dan is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 03:38 AM   #3
giggles
macrumors member

Remember when the "if Jobs was still alive"-game was played only by douchebag pundits and trolls?
giggles is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 03:40 AM   #4
yjchua95
macrumors 68020

Location: Queenstown, NZ and Melbourne, VIC, Australia (formerly KL, Malaysia)
Send a message via Skype™ to yjchua95
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Cue also maintained that the company's values remain in strong attention to every detail and putting product quality first, all while "doing a few things and doing them really great."
*cough*

Oh yeah? What about Radeongate (the Radeon GPU failure that brought so many 2011 15"/17" MBPs to their knees? Where's the QC in that (over-application of thermal paste)? I can understand Apple using unleaded solder, but having over-applied the thermal paste made it a double whammy.
Old May 29, 2014, 03:47 AM   #5
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

I feel like this article might be fight bait (but thats whats fun about the internet right?).

I am kind of on the fence about this...

They have a lot of "future products" that are really going to be make or break so it could go either way. People are really excited about these future products so I am excited to see how things go.

As for current I admit the iphone innovation as been a little stale over the last 2 years or so.

TouchMint.com is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 03:48 AM   #6
apolloa
macrumors 68040

We will wait to see if this is true...

They certainly split the pro market with the new Mac Pro if the comments on here are anything to go by.

And as for the comments on quality, well when they released iOS 7 it was like a buggy beta version and I remember 2 of my first gen unibody MacBook Pros having thumb and finger prints behind the screen! Not the quality you expect for a couple of thousand pounds.
apolloa is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 03:50 AM   #7
H2SO4
macrumors 6502a

Even people who knew any person deceased should be very careful about, ’they would be very proud’, kind of statements. Especially in public.

Cue should have kept his mouth shut.
Old May 29, 2014, 03:51 AM   #8
MH01
macrumors 68030

Yeah , I could just see Steve with a pair of Beats on.....

Looks like the roadmap created with Steve jobs input ran put a few days ago. Welcome to the Cook era!!!
MH01 is online now   9 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 03:57 AM   #9
keysofanxiety
macrumors 6502a

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MH01 View Post
Yeah , I could just see Steve with a pair of Beats on.....

Looks like the roadmap created with Steve jobs input ran put a few days ago. Welcome to the Cook era!!!
Wait until WWDC on Monday, then repeat that comment.

Apple are going to innovate and dominate a new product category, proving the naysayers wrong once again.
Old May 29, 2014, 03:59 AM   #10
Smartass
macrumors 6502a

The only thing Jobs would be proud of is firing C&C (Cook and Cue )
Smartass is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 03:59 AM   #11
Hurda
macrumors 6502

That leader-cultish "SJ would"-drum is starting to become a bit creepy.
Hurda is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 04:00 AM   #12
Smartass
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysofanxiety View Post

Apple are going to innovate and dominate a new product category, proving the naysayers wrong once again.
You're right, no company has even thought of putting out a 8gb phone this year. Once again, apple is leading!
Smartass is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 04:08 AM   #13
keysofanxiety
macrumors 6502a

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartass View Post
You're right, no company has even thought of putting out a 8gb phone this year. Once again, apple is leading!
Ha. Ha.

Like I said, wait until Monday. I hope you like the taste of your own words.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Even people who knew any person deceased should be very careful about, ’they would be very proud’, kind of statements. Especially in public.

Cue should have kept his mouth shut.
Please re-read the article. Cue's exact comment about SJ (when asked about it, this wasn't unprompted), was:

"Look, Steve was a great friend, a great mentor, I miss him, you can't say it doesn't mean anything from that standpoint; but when I look at what he set up at Apple and what we're doing, I think he'd be extremely proud of the all the work we're doing today and the products we're building, and I think we're continuing a lot of the legacy he built."

Important words are in bold. Slightly misleading headline from MacRumours, admittedly, but he was very humble and careful with what he said.
Old May 29, 2014, 04:10 AM   #14
bumblebritches5
macrumors regular

I'm not trying to hate, but I really don't see how Apple is as agile as a small company, their products are in the pipeline for years before they're even released, and by that very nature means that can't change it quickly enough to capture new trends.
bumblebritches5 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 04:14 AM   #15
thaifood
macrumors 6502

At the end of the day, these guys knew Jobs personally and counted him as a friend for a long time. That's a hell of a lot more than anyone on this forum did, or ever will. So people twisting his words or suggesting that Jobs would otherwise like/dislike what the Apple executives are doing really have absolutely no clue, and should keep their useless vitriol to themselves.
thaifood is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 04:29 AM   #16
TheRainKing
macrumors 6502a

Wow! He really said that? I expected him to say "Steve would hate what we're doing, we've completely ruined his company."
TheRainKing is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 04:30 AM   #17
numlock
macrumors 65816

Quote:

which new and innovative product category are you talking about?
numlock is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 04:48 AM   #18
bushido
macrumors 601

its weird to me how they still try to milk the SJ "brand" era. the past is the past lets move on to the future and be proud of your own products without always going back to "SJ would have ..."

stand on your own two feet TC (but let someone else do the keynote cuz his voice literally ... zZz ...)
bushido is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 04:56 AM   #19
batchtaster
macrumors 6502a

From someone who actually knew Steve, unlike these arm-chair WWSD?-experts invoking his name for everything they, personally, don't like, as if they had any concept of his thought process, even when he was alive.
batchtaster is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 04:57 AM   #20
Rogifan
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
its weird to me how they still try to milk the SJ "brand" era. the past is the past lets move on to the future and be proud of your own products without always going back to "SJ would have ..."

stand on your own two feet TC (but let someone else do the keynote cuz his voice literally ... zZz ...)
Cue was asked about Steve. What is he supposed to say? Sheesh.
Rogifan is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 05:00 AM   #21
Kabeyun
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post

They ASKED him! Dang, everybody...
Kabeyun is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 05:05 AM   #22
MH01
macrumors 68030

Quote:

You realise WWDC is about software........
MH01 is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 05:06 AM   #23
superduperdom
macrumors member

Steve would hate Dre's music and everything he stands for and those crappy beats headphones.
superduperdom is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 05:07 AM   #24
the8thark
macrumors 68030

Quote:
The only thing Jobs would be proud of is firing C&C (Cook and Cue )
You mean the firing of Forstall and Bartlet (or whatever his damn name was). I'm glad both are gone.
Old May 29, 2014, 05:14 AM   #25
Serban
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Countries like India are poor, so they try to put their best product at even good price. SO yes 8Gb is small for nowadays but for that kind of people who sacrifice a lot just to take hands of an apple product i think they are happier than us
Serban is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion