Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is once again said to be considering wireless charging capabilities for the iWatch, according to a various Chinese media reports citing sources at Apple supplier Luxshare (Google Translate, via GforGames).

Balogh-iwatch.jpg
Traditional watch-style iWatch concept based on TRIWA's Havana Nevil Brown watch, by Gábor Balogh

The Shenzen-based company has reportedly sent Apple wireless charging coils for certification, and pending approval, will likely be providing the wireless charging modules for the iWatch. The report also notes that the iWatch will launch in the second half of this year pending production times.

A report last December also stated that Apple would include wireless charging capabilities in the iWatch, allowing the device to charge from up to a meter away. The iWatch's battery life has been previously reported as a problem for Apple, with iWatch prototypes lasting only 1-2 days on a charge and the company hoping to find ways to extend that to 4-5 days. While wireless charging would be one way to reduce the burden of frequent charges, it is still unclear exactly how it would be implemented in the device's body.

Rumors have indicated Apple's iWatch will contain several different biometric sensors allowing it to track health-related metrics like heart rate, sleep quality and more. The sensors will aggregate data that will be stored in a rumored "Healthbook" application, slated for inclusion in iOS 8.

Along with health-related functionality, the iWatch will likely integrate with the iPhone and iPad to provide notifications and quick access to frequently used apps and services.

Apple's iWatch is rumored to ship later this year two different sizes to accommodate different sized wrists. A report last week stated the the device will feature a round face similar to that of Motorola's Moto 360 smart watch, with production beginning in late July.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Testing Wireless Charging Coils for iWatch Ahead of Fall Launch

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I very much doubt Apple will be testing anything now for a fall launch.

Anything launching in fall will be done by now, I'd imagine.

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
A round face for a watch is not that unusual.. Could as well write "similar to 99.9% of the watches on this planet".

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
Really hoping it's not like the Moto.. Wireless charging, fantastic.. Hopefully they can bring it to the keyboard, mouse and trackpad too..

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil

I agree. Still, Apple usually has more than one supplier for several of their product's parts.The tech may already be in place, and Apple might be just developing other suppliers. These guys could simply be a (soon-to-be-dropped-due-to-big-mouth) potential secondary source of these parts.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I wonder how safe this wireless charging will be. I'm not being paranoia here, I don't believe all of the rumors that WiFi could be dangerous or the phone connector points where some people are complaining about stating it gives them head pain among other things, but to put your phone or in the near future close to your head while sleeping to "measure" your so called sleeping patterns while being charged with a device ranging closer then one meter away from your brains.... makes me wonder how "safe" all of these things will be...
Especially when being used on daily bases.

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Dear Apple, wireless charing for iPhones please (even if it's slow). Many thanks.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I wonder how safe this wireless charging will be. I'm not being paranoia here, I don't believe all of the rumors that WiFi could be dangerous or the phone connector points where some people are complaining about stating it gives them head pain among other things, but to put your phone or in the near future close to your head while sleeping to "measure" your so called sleeping patterns while being charged with a device ranging closer then one meter away from your brains.... makes me wonder how "safe" all of these things will be...
Especially when being used on daily bases.

When implemented via Qi (which should be the right thing to do, given that a lot of Android and Windows Phone devices already support Qi and, consequently, a lot of users have standardized Qi chargers), it wouldn't pose any danger as it's a close-field technique (10mm at most).

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

That's a rather ridiculous assumption. If all testing had been done, it would ship tomorrow.

I wonder how safe this wireless charging will be. I'm not being paranoia here, I don't believe all of the rumors that WiFi could be dangerous or the phone connector points where some people are complaining about stating it gives them head pain among other things, ...

It's a proven fact that some people get headaches and other problems when they believe that WiFi is turned on near them. The point being "when they believe". Whether WiFi is turned on or not doesn't make a difference, it is the belief that creates the headache.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Dear Apple, wireless charing for iPhones please (even if it's slow). Many thanks.

I REALLY hope they add wireless charging to their devices. Qi is working just GREAT on all my Qi-enabled Android / WP devices and it isn't slow, not even if you use external cases and even if you use inexpensive Qi chargers.

They are GREAT - I haven't used cables for recharging my, say, N7 2013 for months. And all this in a thick case and a cheap, Chinese, $28 Qi charger (and not a branded, $50+ one).

Unfortunately, Apple is heavily lagging behind the competition in this regard too.

----------

Would love to see wireless charging integrated into the rest of their eco system, i.e their mouses and keyboards :D

And all iDevices as they're the ones that need to be recharged very frequently.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
You know, I love that concept more every time I see it. It would be incredible if that's what the iWatch looked like. So classy but functional!

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
And Samesung will copy it right. :)

Samsung have had official Qi wireless charging support in several of their devices / add-ons for over a year; for example, the official Qi charger plate for the Note 3 and the S4.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galax...UTF8&qid=1401359103&sr=8-6&keywords=Note+3+qi

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Compa...sim_cps_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=195CEEX2NF28FN5VSM1W

That is, it's not Samsung that is going to follow Apple this time (either) - the opposite.

Edsel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Over There
Variable rate charging, suitable in office environments, I have the perfect wireless charging station for iWatch.....

electric_chair_by_aprilrebuilt-d2ylrft.jpg

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Apple won't include wireless charging until the technology is useful enough. For example, rather than charging your device by placing it onto a charging 'pad' (barely anymore useful than just plugging your phone in), Apple would rather allow you to charge your phone wirelessly from wherever you are in your house regardless of where the 'base' is. THAT'S useful.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Apple won't include wireless charging until the technology is useful enough. For example, rather than charging your device by placing it onto a charging 'pad' (barely anymore useful than just plugging your phone in)

Give a try to the rugged Otterbox 5/5s cases with their 3.5mm headphone and Lightning connector protectors. It's VERY hard to insert / remove the cables from the phone while in these cases, causing me a lot of trouble all the time. It'd be a godsend to have Qi in the iPhones.

The same may apply to all cases with built-in, (from the cases) non-removable port protectors.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Give a try to the rugged Otterbox 5/5s cases with their 3.5mm headphone and Lightning connector protectors. It's VERY hard to insert / remove the cables from the phone while in these cases, causing me a lot of trouble all the time. It'd be a godsend to have Qi in the iPhones.

The same may apply to all cases with built-in, (from the cases) non-removable port protectors.

Would the case not block the signals and make wireless charging a bit sketchy? I don't know - I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of wireless charging.

I do know, however, that you're not describing a common problem. Not THAT many people have those big, industrial cases...surely?

----------

Samsung have had official Qi wireless charging support in several of their devices / add-ons for over a year; for example, the official Qi charger plate for the Note 3 and the S4.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galax...UTF8&qid=1401359103&sr=8-6&keywords=Note+3+qi

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Compa...sim_cps_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=195CEEX2NF28FN5VSM1W

That is, it's not Samsung that is going to follow Apple this time (either) - the opposite.

I think OP was referring to Samshame copying Apple's iWatch design and format. Once they know the proper way to make a smart watch, they'll just copy that and go with it. Their original ideas are always awful, Galaxy Gear being case in point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.