Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Is there a way to watch newer DVDs though a 2012 MacMini though WIN 7, that have the new protection on them? Right now I have mini display port to a VGA adaptor cable, is there a way to get this to work? If not what do I need to watch newer DVDs that have the newer protection?

Hugh

EDIT: Make that watch any DVDs using Windows 7? Reason I'm asking is because the person using the MacMini can't use OS X (Blind).

Last edited:

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
I take it that nobody watches DVD's or Blu Ray on their 2012 MacMinis?

Hugh

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
... watch any DVDs using Windows 7? Reason I'm asking is because the person using the MacMini can't use OS X (Blind).

That might like a little explanation:
If the person needs Windows 7 because they are blind, then how is watching a DVD useful to him?
note: OS X also has various tools to allow use with various physical challenges, in the Universal Access pref pane. Look particularly at VoiceOver, which includes a lot of help, including setup of a braille display, should that be needed.
... Watching a DVD movie on a braille display. I wonder how that works! :D

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Right now I have mini display port to a VGA adaptor cable, is there a way to get this to work?

Most likely, the VGA is the problem. You need to be using a digital display (either DVI or HDMI) to get the playback to work.
Do you get a specific error when trying to play back videos?

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
That might like a little explanation:
If the person needs Windows 7 because they are blind, then how is watching a DVD useful to him?
note: OS X also has various tools to allow use with various physical challenges, in the Universal Access pref pane. Look particularly at VoiceOver, which includes a lot of help, including setup of a braille display, should that be needed.
... Watching a DVD movie on a braille display. I wonder how that works! :D

Mac OS X has voice over, but in order to move around in the OS you need a Bail Display. They cost lot of cash and know the which of the two types of bail it's uses, where JAWS for Windows cost lot less. As for watching DVDs, he doesn't 'watch' the movie. He listens to it, sometimes he needs someone watch with him to tell what's happening. Some of the newer movies have a description track the narrates everything that going on. Transformers 3 is a good example of that, it has such a track on the DVD.

Note: JAWS is a screen reader program that talks, and allows movement around Windows environment. Where 'Voice Over' just talks part of the screen and offers no help on accessing around the OS without a Brail Display. To prove this, turn on voice over then restart, now once the computer is booted. Try to open safari, mail, control panels, open disk utilities. With out the mouse and tell me how it worked out. :rolleyes:

hugh

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
What about using an external drive?

You have to use an external drive, the 2012 MacMini doesn't have a internal drive.

Most likely, the VGA is the problem. You need to be using a digital display (either DVI or HDMI) to get the playback to work.
Do you get a specific error when trying to play back videos?

This was my worry was true, it works fine on the Mac OS X side. What does Windows make a difference?

How about a display that has DVI and VGA on it. In theory if I hook it up to DVI it should work, right?

Hugh

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
DVI is like HDMI without the sound. VGA is an old video tech.

To answer your question is yes.

Thanks, I understand now. I have a really dumb question. If you can answer it, why is Windows being so picky about, where OS X doesn't care? (just wondering, that's all)

Hugh

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Thanks, I understand now. I have a really dumb question. If you can answer it, why is Windows being so picky about, where OS X doesn't care? (just wondering, that's all)

Hugh

When it comes to DVD on Windows all it is Microsoft wants you to use the programs that Microsoft wants. It's DRM from Microsoft. That is why most Windows users use something like VLC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.