Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 29, 2014, 09:28 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Beats Tones Down the Bass With its New Solo2 Headphones

Following the announcement that Apple was acquiring Beats Electronics, the audio accessory company is not slowing down, announcing a new version of its most popular set of on-ear headphones. The new Beats Solo² offers a new physical design and improved acoustics that promise to deliver "a wider range of sound and enhanced clarity."

An early review from Engadget suggests the new cans tone down the bass, providing a "more balanced" sound than other Beats headphone models that often are criticized for their bass-heavy sound.
Quote:
Well, the best way I can describe the sound here is "more balanced." Don't get me wrong: There's still plenty of bass when tunes call for it, but you can also clearly pick up other elements -- things like hi-hats, snares and others all seem to stand out more when compared to previous releases.
Besides the improved audio quality, the Beats Solo² has a sleeker, more polished design that makes the headphones comfortable to wear, says The Wall Street Journal.
Quote:
The new design, which echoes the more expensive, over-ear Beats Studio, is sleeker, with no visible screws and higher quality materials that offer a more premium feel than the predecessor. Acoustics have been improved, too. The ear cups now sit at an angle that's far more comfortable on your ears--especially after hours of wear. The new ear-cup design also blocks out more background noise.
Now that Apple is acquiring Beats, these Solo² headphones may be among the last models released by Beats as a standalone company. Going forward, Apple will oversee the design and marketing of Beats' future products. As part of this transition, Beats will sever its long-term relationship with design firm Ammunition, which is responsible for the design of the Beats' current lineup of headphones and speakers.

The new Beats Solo² headphones are available now for pre-order from Beats' website and will arrive in retail stores beginning June 1. Pricing for the model remains the same, with the Solo² costing $199. It is available in a variety of colors including pink, blue, gray, white or red.

Article Link: Beats Tones Down the Bass With its New Solo2 Headphones
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 09:30 AM   #2
Wayfarer
macrumors 6502a

In before MacRumors has turned into "BeatsRumors" claim in 3... 2... 1...
Old May 29, 2014, 09:31 AM   #3
fumi2014
macrumors newbie

So are we going to have news posts about these crappy products all time now that Apple have bought them?
fumi2014 is offline   69 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 09:31 AM   #4
chirpie
macrumors 6502a

So they'll change the look and sound of the products?

Why?

Isn't one of the ideas behind buying a company so you can acquire what made them "special" in the first place?

Out of all the things I didn't like about the brand, the appearance was something I actually didn't have a problem with...
chirpie is online now   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 09:32 AM   #5
Mr Fusion
macrumors 6502

... Mockup please?
Mr Fusion is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 09:33 AM   #6
dieselmcore
macrumors newbie

SO LO-NG ...
dieselmcore is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 09:33 AM   #7
OS X Dude
macrumors 6502a

The Engadget reviewer said they were uncomfortable to wear, so mileage may vary. Fit is very personal, however.
H&K TubeMeister 18 Head
OS X Dude is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 09:34 AM   #8
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Chances are, it'll suck just like the last ones.
Old May 29, 2014, 09:34 AM   #9
PatriotInvasion
macrumors 65816

Hmmm. The timing of this release seems like a strategic alignment with the acquisition becoming official. Doubt Apple engineers had anything to do with this model, but wouldn't be shocked if the release is aimed to target listeners of genres where bass is less emphasized.

Forget pleasing the audiophiles though. They hate everything.

PS -

Sennheiser = German
Bang & Olufsen = Danish
Bowers & Wilkins = English
Spotify = Swedish

Apple = American
Beats = American

Perhaps that played a role as well for Apple.
Old May 29, 2014, 09:35 AM   #10
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Great. I completely forget we'll now be getting "rumors" and articles on Beats products.
Old May 29, 2014, 09:35 AM   #11
djtech42
macrumors 65816

Did Apple tell them that boosting the bass isn't what makes good headphones?
Old May 29, 2014, 09:36 AM   #12
Cooee!
macrumors member

I actually think beats headphones look great.

Edit: For me, they sound great too. Can't wait for their future products under Apple

Last edited by Cooee!; May 30, 2014 at 06:55 AM.
Cooee! is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 09:36 AM   #13
DTphonehome
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
So they'll change the look and sound of the products?

Why?

Isn't one of the ideas behind buying a company so you can acquire what made them "special" in the first place?

Out of all the things I didn't like about the brand, the appearance was something I actually didn't have a problem with...
The sound has a lot of room for improvement. The looks are nice, but Apple has their own design ethos and there's no reason they should use Beats' design house.
DTphonehome is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 09:37 AM   #14
D.T.
macrumors 68020

One, two, three and to the fo'
Dialin' back the bass before they're in the Apple sto'
Old May 29, 2014, 09:40 AM   #15
AaronM5670
macrumors 6502

Still nowhere near as good as Sennheisers that cost 1/4 of the price.
Late '13 iMac 27" 3.5GHz i7/32GB/1TB Fusion/GTX 775M 2GB, iPod Nano 8GB 3rd Gen, iPhone 5 16GB, iPad 2 32GB 3G, Apple TV 3, '98 PowerMac G3 233MHz Beige. Nexus 5 & PS1-4. Stereotypical Apple customer.
AaronM5670 is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 09:40 AM   #16
attila
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Well, the best way I can describe the sound here is "more balanced."
That doesn't sounds good as a review of headphones.

As expected from Beats, I guess. I still can't get over the acquisition.
Old May 29, 2014, 09:41 AM   #17
truettray
macrumors regular

My number one gripe with Beats are their unbalanced sound quality... I don't care if my headphones look like these
I just want them to sound amazing.
Old May 29, 2014, 09:41 AM   #18
sparky1499
macrumors regular

I see you wearing Beats headphones then I know you know nothing about headphones...
Old May 29, 2014, 09:41 AM   #19
curiosity
macrumors regular

Now that everyone knows how expensive they are, I might consider buying one. The sound is of lesser importance.
curiosity is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 09:41 AM   #20
dpfenninger
macrumors member

Call me crazy, but why is it necessary to spend hundreds of dollars for headphones? When did this become the trend? I get it that people want a quality listening experience, but the sheer number of these headphones on the market makes me wonder when this all happened.

If you had told me five years ago about a pair of $200 headphones, I would have said "good luck selling those," but it seems they're all over the place now, so apparently people buy them.

As for me, I'm quite content with my Apple earbuds, thank you.
dpfenninger is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 09:42 AM   #21
Rogifan
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTphonehome View Post
The sound has a lot of room for improvement. The looks are nice, but Apple has their own design ethos and there's no reason they should use Beats' design house.
Beats design house will no longer be working with the company.

http://www.ammunitiongroup.com/work/1922-2/

I think Apple should use Beats to create a downmarket sub-brand that has its own unique styling and that's maybe more colorful/fun than the Apple brand. Use the Beats brand to create a cheaper smartphone for emerging markets.
Rogifan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 09:44 AM   #22
atticus27
macrumors regular

I'd rather have in-ear headphones. Over the ear ones are to big, to take to the gym. Beats knows how to market though. They have, so many people willing to pay $200+ for headphones
Old May 29, 2014, 09:44 AM   #23
theluggage
macrumors 65816

Does audio quality come in to it?

Normally, when travelling I can hold off that 'I don't want to live in this world any more' feeling until I'm actually on the plane and browsing the digital cat litter boxes and climbing-gear clad plastic squirrels in the SkyMall catalogue... Last time, however, I only made it as far as Dixons at Heathrow before I noticed that all the headphone displays prominently featured a mirror.

Its pretty clear that audio is not the top priority when people are choosing headphones.
theluggage is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 09:44 AM   #24
Godzilla71
macrumors 6502

Tim in the negotiations .. yeah, so about that heavy bass in your headphones....
Old May 29, 2014, 09:45 AM   #25
Dave245
macrumors 6502

I don't know what people's problem with Beats is, I own a pair of the Solo HD's and they are brilliant, very durable and the sound is great. Yea they are bass heavy but they also work great with other types of music, I listen to all different types of music and I love Beats.
Dave245 is offline   15 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion