Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skunx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2002
Hi I'm running Lion on VMware and I tried to upgrade to mavericks but I get a boot menu. I'm not really familiar with macs at all but to me it looks like the boot partition was changed and is now lost.

WMware boots to a menu that says
Continue
boot manager
boot manager config

If I knew more about how macs handle installs I may be able to fix this but I do not. Can anyone help here?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
OS X Mavericks is a free upgrade. It is installed by the Mac App Store. You should boot into Lion and then launch the Mac App Store.

skunx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2002
Right that is what I did and at the end of the download and preliminary install it asked to reboot and then my OS was no more.

So you're saying in a normal environment it just installs over itself and does not need to make an install partition.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Right that is what I did and at the end of the download and preliminary install it asked to reboot and then my OS was no more.

So you're saying in a normal environment it just installs over itself and does not need to make an install partition.

Correct... it just installs right over top of the old version and reboots into the new version. I suspect your issue is trying to do the install from within VMware.

skunx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2002
Updating my windows host bios did the trick. There evidently was some needed option.

Eyephone4s

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2013
Help

Hi i'm on 10.8.5 trying to upgrade to maverick but I can get it. I have a mid 2012 MBP. I did the install, reboot and nothing could someone help, yes Im new to the MBP thanks..

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi i'm on 10.8.5 trying to upgrade to maverick but I can get it. I have a mid 2012 MBP. I did the install, reboot and nothing could someone help, yes Im new to the MBP thanks..

Can you explain more what went wrong?

So did you download Mavericks from the App Store then start the installer? What happened then?

Eyephone4s

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2013
Can you explain more what went wrong?

So did you download Mavericks from the App Store then start the installer? What happened then?

Yes, i d/l from the store, i did the whole thing rebooted and i check, still have 10.8.5.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yes, i d/l from the store, i did the whole thing rebooted and i check, still have 10.8.5.

After you did the download it puts the installer in your /Applications folder. Did you run the installer and let it finish? That should do the trick.

Are sure it was Mavericks you downloaded from here and not maybe a redownload of Mountain Lion.

Eyephone4s

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2013
After you did the download it puts the installer in your /Applications folder. Did you run the installer and let it finish? That should do the trick.

Are sure it was Mavericks you downloaded from here and not maybe a redownload of Mountain Lion.

Actually I did it from the store when I checked for updates. Im just d/l from that link again maybe that'll fix it(cross fingers) i appreciate your help

Eyephone4s

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2013

I just did the redownload, it restarted my MBP and still 10.8.5??:confused::mad:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

The fact that the file is still there means the installer did not run, because as part of the install process it deletes that file. Double click that installer file and it should install Mavs for you.

Before you do that though, option drag the installer file onto the desktop to make a second copy of it so you don't need to redownload if we keep having troubles here.

Also elect the file then do a command-i to bring up the get info pane. The file should be about 5GB in size.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
This means it has not been used, as it deletes itself once the installation is completed.

So, just run it, hopefully this will work and install Mavericks.

Please let us know.

EDIT : totally ninja'd !

Eyephone4s

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2013
The fact that the file is still there means the installer did not run, because as part of the install process it deletes that file. Double click that installer file and it should install Mavs for you.

Before you do that though, option drag the installer file onto the desktop to make a second copy of it so you don't need to redownload if we keep having troubles here.

Also elect the file then do a command-i to bring up the get info pane. The file should be about 5GB in size.

Weasel boy it's 5.33 gb I'm copying the file to desktop as I reply now

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The installer would run, copying across some system files, and everything needed for the install - which would take about 10 minutes, probably lots faster with an SSD.
Then, your Mac reboots automatically, and the actual install takes place, a hard drive will need 30 minutes or so, and SSD substantially faster, but certainly longer than the time between your two posts.
The auto-restart is when the actual install happens.
When the install completes, then you will be asked to restart again.
Also, the installer app will DELETE itself when the install is complete. If you still have (both) install apps, then you didn't run the installer. Try that again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.