Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The rumored split-screen multitasking feature said to be coming with iOS 8 is still a work in progress and won't be previewed at Apple's upcoming Worldwide Developers Conference, according to Brian Chen of the New York Times.

Designed for the iPad Air and possibly a larger-screened iPad to be released in the future, split-screen multitasking would allow two apps to be displayed at the same time on a single screen while in landscape mode. It might also include a feature that allows users to share information like links, images, and text between two apps.

Split-screen multitasking concept, not rumor-based
The iPad's inability to display two apps at once is a lack that Microsoft has used to heavily advertise its Surface tablet, which does have the ability to display multiple apps on the screen at one time.

While the multitasking feature will reportedly not make its debut at WWDC, it is still slated for inclusion in iOS 8. It appears multitasking will be limited to the iPad Air at launch, and it is unclear whether the smaller Retina iPad mini and iPhone might also gain the functionality.

Article Link: Rumored Split-Screen Multitasking Feature for iOS 8 Not Ready for WWDC Preview

AndrewMRiv

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2013
Now the Windows 8 people can stop making fun of iOS for alleged "bad multitasking."

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Why would it work only on the Air and not the Mini when they are essentially the same machine with different screen sizes? Hope this isn't a signal that Bigger and Biggest iPhones will have exclusive features.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
This is honestly something that wouldn't have happened under Steve. That's the only time I'll say it -- I promise. But honestly... :(:(:(

He would wait, until he deemed it ready to be shown to the public.

If apple will do multitasking they will do it right.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
iOS should be kept simple. If you want multitasking feature, get a Mac.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Love how people say "This never would have happened under Steve Jobs leadership" but the truth is, NONE of us know that because he is DEAD. The dude is D-E-A-D, dead!

----------

Thank. You.

I love Apple, but sometimes I just shake my head at their features or lack there of.

Agree... would love QR.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
Can't they at least throw together an animation of what it will look like and then add the feature in a later beta?

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
Related: The new holographic keyboard is also delayed because projector LED's are in short supply.

Seriously, who makes up that crap. I'm sure there will be no side-by-side multitasking.

If it is true, I'm wrong but at least I did not spread these stupid ideas around.

Why on earth would side-by-side multitasking be news at all?

It just needs more resources, complicates access to shared resources and is of very little use.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
This is honestly something that wouldn't have happened under Steve. That's the only time I'll say it -- I promise. But honestly... :(:(:(
Actually it would have. Split-screen multitasking is not something you can implement easily. It's very difficult to get it right. Maybe you've heard this before (sarcasm yes), but Apple (and Jobs) are (were) prone to get things right at all costs.

yellowtruck

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2013
RollsT

It’s not that hard to spot the Samsung trolls in this post claiming Apple is copying Samsung.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
they'll just throw the "Combined Multi-tasking" into the background like they do when they show the 200+ improvements. they won't tout it but just show the name and get people all giddy.

I can't see this as an everyday usage for myself but see it could be useful at times...and guessing some might think it really useful on an every-day basis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.