Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 27, 2014
I'm kinda disappointed right now - as my iPhone 5S has completely stopped vibrating.

Well.. not completly.

I thought I had fixed the issue- as I downloaded a "vibrator" app - yea yea, I know :rolleyes:

To my surprise, after reading a review of someone saying this app fixed their issue and gently taping the upper left hand corner of the phone - the phone began to vibrate! So, I thought I had fixed it.

I set the phone down, had a friend call - it vibrated and then the motor gave out. I tried again and again and again and the motor just keeps giving out on me unless i tap the side of the phone.

So, unfortunately I am going to have to go to the apple store tomorrow - I really, really, really, don't want a refurbished unit.. but I have a strong feeling I am going to wind up with one. Has anyone had any experience with refurbished units? My 4s was a beast, and I never had a single issue with it. Honestly, I've never had an issue with any apple product. Macbook, my iPad air, or my previous 4s. The 5s is the first apple product i've really had a problem with.

Are the refurbs junk? I remember getting countless LG dumbphone refurbs back in the day and each one after each one was just garbage. Is the QC on the 5s refurbs any good? My iPhone is seriously spotless.. no broken screen, not even a single scratch. It really does look like it just came out of the box.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Apple's refurbish units, although being refurbished, come out like new because the casing and the battery is new.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 27, 2014
So essentially, I am getting a better phone then?

The processors and wifi chips, etc are good? I don't want to trade in a 90%working phone for one that I will be constantly having problems with.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I broke my new release day iPhone on release day went back for a replacement and it has been working since.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I'm kinda disappointed right now - as my iPhone 5S has completely stopped vibrating.

Well.. not completly.

I thought I had fixed the issue- as I downloaded a "vibrator" app - yea yea, I know :rolleyes:

To my surprise, after reading a review of someone saying this app fixed their issue and gently taping the upper left hand corner of the phone - the phone began to vibrate! So, I thought I had fixed it.

I set the phone down, had a friend call - it vibrated and then the motor gave out. I tried again and again and again and the motor just keeps giving out on me unless i tap the side of the phone.

So, unfortunately I am going to have to go to the apple store tomorrow - I really, really, really, don't want a refurbished unit.. but I have a strong feeling I am going to wind up with one. Has anyone had any experience with refurbished units? My 4s was a beast, and I never had a single issue with it. Honestly, I've never had an issue with any apple product. Macbook, my iPad air, or my previous 4s. The 5s is the first apple product i've really had a problem with.

Are the refurbs junk? I remember getting countless LG dumbphone refurbs back in the day and each one after each one was just garbage. Is the QC on the 5s refurbs any good? My iPhone is seriously spotless.. no broken screen, not even a single scratch. It really does look like it just came out of the box.

My refurb iP4's volume rockers got stuck somehow after like 3 weeks. That's pretty much the only problem I've had with that. My refurb Macbook had a logic board problem that made the fans run crazy while I was doing nothing.

----------

I broke my new release day iPhone on release day went back for a replacement and it has been working since.

How did you break a brand new iPhone on release day?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.