Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
My parents have a 2012 Mac Mini. It does NOT have a CD/DVD/super drive.
They have super-slow DSL...like 1Mbps Top Speed.

I finally got them an Apple ID recently so I could update them to Mavericks (that only took 12+ hours to download)

I came back the other day to update their iLife apps...iPhoto, iMovie, etc. as the Mac App Store said I had updates. When I went to enter their Apple ID my nephew's Apple ID was there. I switched it to theirs and said the apps were associated with my nephews AppleID.

I restarted the Mac and tried again and still had the same result. I tried to dump iPhoto, etc. into the trash (didn't delete them) and when I went into the Mac App Store it said I could PURCHASE the Apps.

What is going on? Their Mac came with the apps and they should be able to update them, right? I was able to update my iLife apps to the most current versions.

Please help me out here.
Thanks in advance!

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
Did they buy the Mini new, or did they get it from your nephew?

They bought it new...actually my siblings and I bought it for them...New from Amazon.

I think my nephew has made a couple purchases through iTunes. I should have checked the purchases tab for the Mac App Store.

I know they had updates for iPhoto and iLife for a while but i was trying to set them with an Apple ID without linking a Credit Card. so that took a while to figure out how. (was really easy once i knew)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.