Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Walter Isaacson, known to the Apple community for his authorized Steve Jobs biography, believes the Apple co-founder would have approved of Apple's acquisition of Beats. Isaacson shared his thoughts on the Beats deal during a CNBC interview earlier today (via Fortune).

iovine-jobs-u2.jpg
Isaacson points to the close relationship between Beats co-founder Jimmy Iovine and Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, both of whom shared a similar appreciation for music.
Isaacson argues that Jobs and Beats co-founder Jimmy Iovine and Jobs had bonded over their shared love of music, and that Jobs would have been interested in adding Iovine's "cool" factor to the company. "I think Jimmy is the greatest talent spotter now in the music and content business, so it feels like part of the DNA of Apple."
Before the acquisition was announced, Isaacson speculated that Iovine was Apple's real target, bringing the veteran producer on board to head up the Cupertino company's content business. Isaacson said Iovine could "help Apple launch the TV product that analysts have been gossiping about for years," by using his influence in the media business to negotiate content deals. During an interview at the Code Conference earlier this week, however, Iovine noted that he has enough on his plate with music and has no plans to become involved in television negotiations.

Iovine has a long history with Apple, helping Steve Jobs sign deals with music labels in the early days of iTunes and working with Apple and U2 on a special edition iPod. Before the launch of Beats Music, he also pitched the idea of a streaming music service to Apple, but neither Steve Jobs nor Tim Cook was interested at the time.

Upon completion of the acquisition, Iovine and Dr. Dre will join Apple while the Beats team will work under the guidance of Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services.

Article Link: Walter Isaacson: Steve Jobs Would Have Supported Beats Acquisition

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
So why not poach him or add him to the board? Was it really worth 3 billion to add him as an executive?

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
So why not poach him or add him to the board? Was it really worth 3 billion to add him as an executive?

I don't get why the 3 billion is such a crazy number, other than it being their highest paid acquisition. Beats did about $1.5 billion in revenue last year. Even if only 1/3 of that is profit, and sales are stagnant, it won't take too long for them to recoup. While also getting the other benefits of the business.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Its time for people to move on. Its kind of irrevelent to what SJ would have done. Unfortunately, he's dead.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
I don't get why the 3 billion is such a crazy number, other than it being their highest paid acquisition. Beats did about $1.5 billion in revenue last year. Even if only 1/3 of that is profit, and sales are stagnant, it won't take too long for them to recoup. While also getting the other benefits of the business.

Yep, I mean Google paid $3 bil for Nest, and one of their two products is currently off the market for safety reasons. :eek::p

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I think people need to stand back and give this deal some room to breath. It is done, let's hope for the best. It's too late to second guess, so let's all pitch in and help make it successful.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
What's annoying is that MacRumors gives a damn to what this autobiographer says..

He spent a lot of time with Jobs. He knows him better than most.

----------

It just feels like such a fad. Some sources say that the Beats headphones cost $14.00 to make and rate at the bottom of similar products. Why are people buying these crappy headphones? Soon more people will ask the same thing. Then it will be a worthless acquisition.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
What's annoying is that MacRumors gives a damn to what this autobiographer says..
People are free to say and predict what they want. And MR is free to write articles on any or all of it. It's up to us to sift through it all and take the good parts and put the ******** in the garbage.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Who cares what Walter thinks. Yes - he spent time with Jobs. But that doesn't mean he has any real idea what he would or would not support NOW. Jobs is dead. He's really not an authority on what someone who has passed might or might not approve of. And even if he did - again - who cares. Apple acquired Beats. Who needs Walter to tell us Steve would have been OK with it?!

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD

Doesn't get to the point of my question. Why did they need him that badly? Why is the best answer we can get for the acquisition "Well, Beats isn't a bad business?"

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
It just feels like such a fad. Some sources say that the Beats headphones cost $14.00 to make and rate at the bottom of similar products. Why are people buying these crappy headphones? Soon more people will ask the same thing. Then it will be a worthless acquisition.

$14? Seriously? Dang, that’s expensive! I’m pretty sure that the headphones sitting on my desk right now cost less than a dollar to make. I guess it’s appropriate then that the Beats cost 14 times as much money to buy.

I jest, I jest. Kinda.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Why is the best answer we can get for the acquisition "Well, Beats isn't a bad business?"

Probably because Apple hasn’t provided an answer to that question, and all we’ve got is a bunch of speculation. Apple execs probably have a better answer. Probably.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.