Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sophiamendezzz1

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2014
Hi guys!

I'm in search for an iPad and I'm definitely leaning towards the iPad mini 32gb. I don't mind buying used but does anyone have any experience buying an iPad on eBay and if there is a good seller?

I sometimes worry with these rumors about fake apple products and such....

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Hi guys!

I'm in search for an iPad and I'm definitely leaning towards the iPad mini 32gb. I don't mind buying used but does anyone have any experience buying an iPad on eBay and if there is a good seller?

I sometimes worry with these rumors about fake apple products and such....

You need to check out the sellers past record and READ the auction VERY carefully. I would look into refurbished before I looked at eBay.

eBay has some really bad people hanging out and if you are not experienced in dealing with them, I would stay away.

mattbaar26

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
Most people on these forums are paranoid about fake products and the like, eBay is a fine venue for buying electronics, especially as the buyer, you are totally protected. I have bought and sold quite a few gadgets on eBay and have never had a problem.

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
Most sellers of iPads are common folk who want to sell it for extra cash or to upgrade to the next generation. Make sure to contact the seller to have them turn off iCloud activation lock before they ship it.

There are also resellers on eBay (Gazelle, etc.), but these often don't come with the original box and/or accessories, but are not iCloud activation locked (unless otherwise stated).

I recently bought 3 iPad Minis off eBay without any issues.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
yeah, ebay isn't worth it. especially if they iCloud lock it, or blacklist it before you get it. i had this happen to me and the seller told me "well, you just f-ed yourself over"... not worth it.

hologram

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2007
You're hearing mostly the bad about ebay from people here. If the seller has 99-100% positive feedback, you'll be fine. Besides, almost, if not everything, sold on eBay has their guarantee behind it, not just the sellers assurances.

Look at the listing and see what protection you get.

That being said, you might very well find a better deal somewhere else, maybe a refurb, but don't let these people scare you away from ebay entirely. If you find something you think is a good deal there and the seller has been selling for awhile and they have good feedback, you can be pretty sure you'll be getting exactly what you expect, or at least exactly what's in the description. Just make sure you read it carefully before you place your bid.

To listen to these people you'd think ebay was a den of thieves, but if that were the case, they would have gone out of business a long time ago. If you get screwed it's because you didn't do your homework. ;)

sophiamendezzz1

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2014
You need to check out the sellers past record and READ the auction VERY carefully. I would look into refurbished before I looked at eBay.

eBay has some really bad people hanging out and if you are not experienced in dealing with them, I would stay away.

I'm down to go the refurbished route! I haven't considered that. Great idea thanks!

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
I just bought a 32 GB iPad Air from the seller below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/23123817438...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Love it. Now I have a iPhone and the iPad with the same cover and color. They look like siblings!

Oh btw, it was brand new and not refurbished and the price was better than refurbished from Apple!

The OP wants an iPad Mini. I recently got a brand new 128gb cellular iPad Mini for $680 off eBay, so the link you provided isn't really a good deal (Apple sells the same model for $599 plus tax).

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
The OP wants an iPad Mini. I recently got a brand new 128gb cellular iPad Mini for $680 off eBay, so the link you provided isn't really a good deal (Apple sells the same model for $599 plus tax).

Yes I know. Was hoping the seller will carry many models.

BTW, he has gone up on the price! I got it for 489.00 with 2 day free shipping!

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Ebay is fine. Just research the seller, its their reputation your basing your purchase on and not the item.

Fake ipads...... I have not seen these, and not aware they exist.

Read the description of the item, make sure it says genuine. If in doubt, contact the seller and ask them to confirm its genuine and provide pics.

You are protected by Ebay/Paypal, if the seller does not send the package or it is not exactly as described, you will get you money back. Sadly Ebay almost always backs the buyer in disputes.

If you want additional tips etc, feel free to message me.

----------

I just bought a 32 GB iPad Air from the seller below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/23123817438...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Love it. Now I have a iPhone and the iPad with the same cover and color. They look like siblings!

Oh btw, it was brand new and not refurbished and the price was better than refurbished from Apple!

Have you given them names ? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.