Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is continuing to decorate the Moscone Center ahead of its upcoming Worldwide Developers Conference, and following the addition of outside banners and the first iOS 8 banner, the inaugural OS X 10.10 banner has just appeared, with a photo courtesy of The Verge.

Click to view larger​
The mountainous background of the banner suggests OS X 10.10 will be receiving a land-related name to complement the water-based name given to OS X 10.9, possibly Yosemite or El Cap, as the image appears to feature the national park's El Capitan rock formation. We detailed some of the names Apple has apparently filed for trademarks on back in April.

Some trademarked land-themed names include Yosemite, Redwood, Mammoth, California, Diablo, Miramar, El Cap, Redtail, Condor, Grizzly, Tiburon, Skyline, Shasta, and Sierra. Newly discovered trademarked names also include Mojave, Sonoma, Ventura, and Sequoia.

Because OS X Mavericks only introduced minor visual changes, OS X 10.10 is expected to feature a more drastic redesign, adopting a "flatter" look and taking on some iOS 7-style design elements. While little is known about the operating system at this point, we will get our first glimpse of the operating system on Monday June 2 at 10 AM Pacific Time, when Apple kicks off the Worldwide Developers Conference with its keynote presentation.

Apple will be live streaming the event both on the web and on the Apple TV. MacRumors will also provide a live blog, live tweets via the MacRumorsLive Twitter account, and a spoiler free page for those who want to watch the full keynote at a later time.

Article Link: First OS X 10.10 Banner Goes Up at Moscone Featuring Yosemite

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Had a feeling it would be Yosemite. A good name for a UI overhaul release.

I might be in the minority but I preferred cat names to be honest.

Me too, but they were running out...I would have preferred them moving on to celestial objects. "OS X Orion" has a nice ring to it.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
OS X 10.10 - Yosemite. Bringing the mountain lion back to OS X.

As in... 10.10 to 10.9 is what 10.8 was to 10.7.

I hope.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
OS X Half Dome

If there was going to be a Yosemite-theme, I would prefer Half Dome -- tip of the hat to Sierra On-Line.

iCore24

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan
This finally ends all those annoying forums saying it has to be OSXI.

It is OSX .10

This is not suppose to follow the mathematics rules!

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Had a feeling it would be Yosemite. A good name for a UI overhaul release.

Me too, but they were running out...I would have preferred them moving on to celestial objects. "OS X Orion" has a nice ring to it.

That's a great idea.

Didn't they use all of them? I liked sea lion though.

See above. I just would have preferred something else than what they went with.

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
London
Yosemiteeee

Attachments

• OSX Yosemite.png
    OSX Yosemite.png
    309.2 KB · Views: 1,139
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.