Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lucasliam88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2014
Ok here is my mac specs Processor 2,4 GHz Intel Core i5 , Ram 4 gb ,Graphic NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB , 15 inch .
mbp 2010 when watching youtube videos my mac gets kinda hot and when playing games like league of legends , mine craft , tf2 , and world of warcraft my mac gets up to 90 Celsius and i have it on my lap and my fans kick off .
I want to make my mac much cooler and make it smoother.
and i want to get better graphics on it .
Any fixes ?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I have a laptop stand and ok :)any more answers ?

Seeing as you already have a laptop stand, you can't really make it run all that much cooler or smoother.

As far as getting better graphics, you're going to need a better laptop. 99% of laptops out there (Mac and PC) have non-upgradable graphics, so you're stuck with what your machine came with.

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2011
Ok here is my mac specs Processor 2,4 GHz Intel Core i5 , Ram 4 gb ,Graphic NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB , 15 inch .
mbp 2010 when watching youtube videos my mac gets kinda hot and when playing games like league of legends , mine craft , tf2 , and world of warcraft my mac gets up to 90 Celsius and i have it on my lap and my fans kick off .
I want to make my mac much cooler and make it smoother.
and i want to get better graphics on it .
Any fixes ?

In my experience, MBP with discrete GPU tends to be much hotter than the version with only integrated GPU. My Early 2011 15" MBP runs very hot when watching youtube videos or during Skype video calls. But the late 2013 model with only the Iris Pro does not. I think it is mostly the heat from GPU. Cleaning the dust in the fan and heat sink will help a little bit but usually not a lot assuming you don't have huge amount of dust accumulating. I have also tried reapply the thermal paste, that will help a little bit too. A stand definitely help but you already got it. Having a fan blowing at the laptop will help a lot but that is probably not a elegant solution.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
In my experience, MBP with discrete GPU tends to be much hotter than the version with only integrated GPU. My Early 2011 15" MBP runs very hot when watching youtube videos or during Skype video calls. But the late 2013 model with only the Iris Pro does not. I think it is mostly the heat from GPU. Cleaning the dust in the fan and heat sink will help a little bit but usually not a lot assuming you don't have huge amount of dust accumulating. I have also tried reapply the thermal paste, that will help a little bit too. A stand definitely help but you already got it. Having a fan blowing at the laptop will help a lot but that is probably not a elegant solution.

The Haswell models run far cooler because of far better ventilation and cooling.

Also, on the 15" rMBP, you can also disable the 750M with gfxcardstatus and only enable it when you need it (which is what I do).

So, to say that the models with dGPU run hotter isn't really true, because the dGPU can be disabled by the user.

Also during heavy tasks, the Iris Pro model runs hotter because all tasks are consolidated into a single chip (the Iris Pro is part of the CPU). The 750M model runs cooler because tasks are spread across two chips instead of just one.

During the Macoh stress tests, when forced into Iris Pro-only, the CPU throttles during the tests, while when forced into NVIDIA-only/dynamic switching, the CPU doesn't throttle at all.

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2011
The Haswell models run far cooler because of far better ventilation and cooling.

Also, on the 15" rMBP, you can also disable the 750M with gfxcardstatus and only enable it when you need it (which is what I do).

So, to say that the models with dGPU run hotter isn't really true, because the dGPU can be disabled by the user.

Also during heavy tasks, the Iris Pro model runs hotter because all tasks are consolidated into a single chip (the Iris Pro is part of the CPU). The 750M model runs cooler because tasks are spread across two chips instead of just one.

During the Macoh stress tests, when forced into Iris Pro-only, the CPU throttles during the tests, while when forced into NVIDIA-only/dynamic switching, the CPU doesn't throttle at all.

I agree with you. It is the dGPU that runs hotter, not the model with the dGPU. I know it is not a fair comparison since the 2011 and 2013 models have different design. But superficially for simple task like watching video and Skype, the model with dGPU will automatically switch to dGPU and it runs hotter. I have used gfxcardstatus to disable the ATI dGPU on my 2011 MBP and run only on the integrated GPU. Watching videos and video chat are both much much cooler. This is not saying the integrated GPU will always be cooler. I only know for watching videos and Skyping, it is cooler. Maybe for other more demanding task, the dGPU is actually cooler.

Also, I totally agree with that the rMBP's ventilation is much better. The 2013 model, compared to the early 2011 model, definitely are cooler and much quieter.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I agree with you. It is the dGPU that runs hotter, not the model with the dGPU. I know it is not a fair comparison since the 2011 and 2013 models have different design. But superficially for simple task like watching video and Skype, the model with dGPU will automatically switch to dGPU and it runs hotter. I have used gfxcardstatus to disable the ATI dGPU on my 2011 MBP and run only on the integrated GPU. Watching videos and video chat are both much much cooler. This is not saying the integrated GPU will always be cooler. I only know for watching videos and Skyping, it is cooler. Maybe for other more demanding task, the dGPU is actually cooler.

Also, I totally agree with that the rMBP's ventilation is much better. The 2013 model, compared to the early 2011 model, definitely are cooler and much quieter.

I also had an early-2011 15" cMBP (2.3 i7/16/512G 840 Pro with AG screen, 1GB 6750M) and it ran quite hot for just normal tasks like Skype (around 70ºC). It was only after I downloaded gfxcardstatus and realized that Skype had enabled the dGPU. After I disabled the dGPU in the 2011 MBP, it ran cooler.

Unfortunately, it succumbed to Radeongate in early March. I have replaced it with a 15" rMBP (2.6/16/1TB/750M) and can confirm that even with the dGPU active, it runs cooler than my 2011 model. However, I still disable it with gfxcardstatus unless necessary (like using an external display or doing intensive tasks) in order to dissipate heat more evenly across two chips instead of one chip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.