Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London
You're all wrong you can't possibly tell me for 100% fact that it can't be OSX v11 why can't it be its just version 11 of OS ten. The numbers are the version are not part of the brand name (OSX) it could also be OSX 10.11 as version numbers don't follow the decimal rule. But it can technically work both ways.

----------

Is that how you say it now? OS Ten version 9? OS Ten version 9 point 2?
It's a version number is it not ?????????
Do you call it OS Ten Ten Nine then ? Lol

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
You're all wrong you can't possibly tell me for 100% fact that it can't be OSX v11 why can't it be its just version 11 of OS ten. The numbers are the version are not part of the brand name (OSX) it could also be OSX 10.11 as version numbers don't follow the decimal rule. But it can technically work both ways.

----------

It's a version number is it not ?????????
Do you call it OS Ten Ten Nine then ? Lol

It will not go from 10.9.3 to 10.11 before going to 10.10

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
It will not go from 10.9.3 to 10.10 before going to 10.11

Did you forget to read your post before you submitted it?
(should read "It will not go from 10.9.3 to 10.11 before going to 10.10"
Therefore, 10.9.x, then 10.10.x, followed by 10.11.x

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I'm always reminded of a particular quote when debates like this show up.

From Romeo and Juliet:
What’s in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet

I think for the majority of us here I would think that no matter what they decide to call the next version of OS X.

They can call OS X version whatever.whatever and I'll still be using it.

If they call it OS 11? No matter. Influenced by iOS 7 or iOS 8? - even better since I have faith in Apple's design team on this one. There's enough of other OS's to use if unhappy with the direction of OS X.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
It'll be OS 11. Why?

Thus, meaning that Apple will most likely omit 10.10, as it ends in a zero, and because Apple has already released a 10.1 (remember 10.10 would be "10.1" according to Apple's naming convention) the next logical step is to move onto OS 11. I think that Mavericks was supposed to be OS 11, but because iOS 7 needed more attention, they decided to delay the redesign, but kept with the name change.

Don't tell me about how the logs say Apple is testing 10.10. Apple can easily fake version numbers to hide version they're actually testing. After all, Apple wouldn't want traffic tracking software to reveal OS 11 before it's reveal.

Wow, you've really managed to misunderstand the article you quoted!

...the convention is to omit any parts after the minor version whose value are zero.

There are three parts: the major version, the minor version, and the "revision" or bug fix version. For example, on the current version of iOS (7.1.1), we have major version 7, minor version 1, revision 1.

All this quote says, is that if the number after the minor version is equal to zero (NOT "ends in zero"), then that zero is not included in the version number.

The result of applying this is that we have version 7.1, then 7.1.1, but there was never a 7.1.0.

Before that, there was 7.0, then 7.0.1, but there was never a 7.0.0.

When Mavericks came out, is was version 10.9, not version 10.9.0, because if the third number is a zero it's left off.

Do you get it now? It has nothing to do with ending in a zero. And the quote you quoted is nothing new, as you can see it's been in place all along. We're going to get OS X version 10.10 next. There is zero doubt about this.

Last edited:

Inhalant

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2014
Calgary
It'll be OS 11. Why?

Thus, meaning that Apple will most likely omit 10.10, as it ends in a zero, and because Apple has already released a 10.1 (remember 10.10 would be "10.1" according to Apple's naming convention) the next logical step is to move onto OS 11. I think that Mavericks was supposed to be OS 11, but because iOS 7 needed more attention, they decided to delay the redesign, but kept with the name change.

Don't tell me about how the logs say Apple is testing 10.10. Apple can easily fake version numbers to hide version they're actually testing. After all, Apple wouldn't want traffic tracking software to reveal OS 11 before it's reveal.

As far as I know, X is still the roman numeral for 10.

Attachments

• osx.jpg
    osx.jpg
    403.6 KB · Views: 78

Felasco

Oct 19, 2012
If Apple is still Apple, the OSX era will sooner or later come to an end, and be replaced by something entirely different.

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
It's clearly two 1s that are crossing each other.

After the keynote they will lift back up into a vertical position to reveal OS 11.

Interesting. Apple started this trend last year with the mavericks banner. Maybe they want to announce "11" with a redesign to differentiate itself from previous versions.

Apple is all about symbology. I mean, just look at this:
[SPOLIER]
Hidden_1063d0_1765951.jpg

[/SPOLIER]

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
People are guessing Yosemite at this point. Personally, I don't care. I'm not a fan of the location names anyways.

That seems too cliche. There are others, although they should probably avoid Death Valley.

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
I just love how all of you know absolutely, 100% for sure that it's going to be 10.10. I ask: HOW do you know what Apple is planning? Funny I thought only Apple knew what Apple was doing.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
I ask: HOW do you know what Apple is planning? Funny I thought only Apple knew what Apple was doing.
The 'OS X' part of the name will remain until such point that OS X is chucked in the bin and the OS is redesigned from the ground up. This is probably five or more years away.

Apple might consider a rebranding now that versions of 'OS X 10' are hitting double digits. The use of both 'X' and '10' has always seemed unnecessary, and with 'OS X 10.10' it's getting rather silly (particularly if you're one of those strange people who insist that 'X =ten' rather than 'X = ex', hence 'Mac OS ten ten point ten').

It's conceivable that the initial '10' will be omitted, so that what would otherwise have been 'OS X 10.10' will be branded as 'OS X 10', 'OS X 10.11' will be 'OS X 11', and so on. This makes sense to me, but I think we'd have heard rumours if it were happening this time around. Apple seem keen to promote the public's use of release names rather than version numbers, possibly to distract people from the silly numbering.

But your original post, which seems to suggest that 10.10 is impossible under Apple's naming conventions, simply makes no sense at all.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
People bringing up the 10.1 = 10.10 drivel bowls my blood.

----------

I just love how all of you know absolutely, 100% for sure that it's going to be 10.10. I ask: HOW do you know what Apple is planning? Funny I thought only Apple knew what Apple was doing.

Because they released a banner with the signature X on it. If they didn't name it 10.10 what would it be? 10.11? Skip the .10? OS X 11? None of those make any sense whatsoever.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005

right, the next version of iOS might be iOS $%, we don't know that it will be iOS 8.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green

Experience. And probability.

Some things are more likely than others. Some things are very unlikely, using judgement based on history and experience.

It's the same way any of us "knows" that the sun will rise tomorrow. If by some unlikely event it doesn't, then many people will be truly surprised. If you've been a contrarian your whole life, saying that the sun won't rise again, then congratulations, you won't be surprised, and you'll be right. Once.

You disparage others for their "100%" certainty, while failing to see that you're doing exactly the same thing. And you're doing it based on a questionable interpretation of version numbering, as pointed out in post #57.

I'm willing to wait this one out for a few days (assuming the sun rises each day), to see what actually happens. Then we'll see if experience is a better predictor than the analysis in your first post. If I'm wrong, I'll willingly admit it. If you're wrong, you should be willing to do the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.