Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's 2014 WWDC kicks off tomorrow with a Keynote at 10am Pacific. Today, attendees are registering for the conference and receiving their usual WWDC badges and WWDC jackets, but Apple also included a $25 App Store gift card.

The gift card is in celebration of "25 years and coding", as noted by @HarrisonW1998:

wwdc-800x812.jpg
$25 App Store gift card for WWDC Attendees. $1/year of #wwdc pic.twitter.com/qGbHrBLvzI - Harrison Weinerman (@HarrisonW1998) June 1, 2014
Apple is offering a live video stream of the Keynote on Monday. We'll have live text and photo updates here on MacRumors, as well as live Twitter updates at MacRumorsLive.

Article Link: Apple Giving $25 App Store Gift Certificates to WWDC Attendees

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I suppose it's a nice gesture, but basically just giving attendees $25 seems like not much of a gesture, since they paid vastly more than that ($1599) for the ticket.

I guess maybe in many people's case their employer paid for the ticket, though.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Probably worth more than $25 to just hold onto that piece of Apple memorabilia for 25 years. I mean, Apple only made 6000 gift cards that look like that, right? Most of them will be redeemed and thrown in the trash? So give it 25 years and maybe it'll be worth $500 or something. Still won't cover the cost of the ticket to go to WWDC.

Godzilla71

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2009
WA state
I suppose it's a nice gesture, but basically just giving attendees $25 seems like not much of a gesture, since they paid vastly more than that ($1599) for the ticket.

I was thinking the same thing in regards to the price of the ticket. It's more symbolic though for the 25 years which is pretty cool I guess. :)

theBostonian

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
There's a 16-year-old attending WWDC? Shouldn't he be in school or something? :cool:

From his twitter:

WWDC 2014 Scholarship Recipient. iOS developer. Web designer. Video producer. Conservative political strategist.

What does his age have to do with anything, in any case? If he's an idiot or otherwise unpleasant individual I'm not sure all the schooling in the world will help cure that.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands

I always like gestures, how large or small they seem te be.

Ticket = $1,599 / a gesture is PRICELESS! :p

Last edited:

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
25?

you are paying 1 thousand to get in and you are only getting a 25$ gift cert? they SHOULD be giving out freaking ipads or something substantial.

Ayr

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2014
You might be a little let down after the leaks got your expectations so high..

So here's a pair of rose tinted glasses, I mean, gift card.

Lets hope that's not the case!

Elijen

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012

$1599 for the tickets??? :eek: ... Come on it's like 3 iPhones value.

HRPufnstuf

macrumors member
May 17, 2014
Nunya
you are paying 1 thousand to get in and you are only getting a 25$ gift cert? they SHOULD be giving out freaking ipads or something substantial.

Amazing. If they gave out iPads people like you would complain it didn't come with a case.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta

as long as we have something to complain about we're all good...

clamnectar

macrumors regular
May 7, 2009
THERE'S A GIFT CARD? WOW, AMAZING NEWS PIECE! YOU TOTALLY SCOOPED CNN ON THIS BOMBSHELL OF A STORY!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
Those saying it's a small/pointless gesture based on the price of the ticket. It's like you think people are only going to WWDC to get the $25 gift card... they're paying for the hundreds of coding workshops to attend with priceless insight from the experts behind it all... it's basically a crash course in everything Apple OS.

Courses and learning of this nature often cost three/four figure sums. Hell, my company spent £3k sending five of us on a 2 day introductory course into SharePoint (I know, I'm sorry too, trust me!) where we learnt more from five minutes on Google than we did the course!

harrisonw1998

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2011
There's a 16-year-old attending WWDC? Shouldn't he be in school or something? :cool:

I'm an iOS developer in high school, and I'm @harrisonw1998 who tweeted that above--I won a WWDC Student scholarship, and my school administration approved this as a fully excused absence from school, so don't hate! There are 200 student developers that won scholarships to WWDC this year.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
And its so pointless. Every other major company (Google, Microsoft) simply has multiple developer conferences per year. It's past time for Apple to get on board so that more devs can attend.

What other conference does Google host besides Google I/O?

harrisonw1998

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2011
From his twitter:

What does his age have to do with anything, in any case? If he's an idiot or otherwise unpleasant individual I'm not sure all the schooling in the world will help cure that.

I'm not an idiot and I'd like to think I'm not an "unpleasant individual". :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.