Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The New York Times reports that Apple will be delving into two new areas on Monday -- connected health and the smart home.

wwdc_banner_promo.jpg
At WWDC 2014, Apple is expected to introduce a new health tracking app that will track statistics for health and fitness. Author Brian Chen cites an anonymous source "briefed on the product"
The health app will initially pull data from third-party fitness and health-monitoring hardware, the person said, but it will most likely be able to connect with a smart watch that Apple is widely expected to release this year.
Apple has also been rumored to be announcing their efforts in the connected smart home. On this front, Chen reports that Apple may introduce "tool kits for developers" to make smart home integration easier for developers and consumers. This initiative was previously described as a "Made for iPhone"-like certification.

Both of these products have been rumored in the lead up to WWDC, but last minute rumors and reports frequently leak out in the hours and days before the keynote. Apple's WWDC Keynote kicks off tomorrow at 10am Pacific. We'll provide live coverage here at MacRumors.com.

Article Link: Apple Expected to Introduce Health Tracking App and Smart Home Toolkit at WWDC

brunosh

macrumors regular
May 14, 2014
Who da hell cares about Healthbook.. I hope that's not the best apple has to offer this year!

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
I wonder if Samsung will be rushing to make some sort of Smart Home device within the next 20 hours? :p

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
1. Repost old news.
2. Add almost nothing.
3. Get more page clicks.
4. ...
5. Profit?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
so, now Apple are into the health industry too ?

What other industries does Apple wanna capture, i wonder.

How many of these actually succeed, and how many of them flop ?

I wonder,, really.... Heath tracking apps etc, wearable tech may all look cool on paper, but when it comes to the crunch, it can be very different story.

(I still like those colors)

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Who da hell cares about Healthbook.. I hope that's not the best apple has to offer this year!
I use a few different health-related apps (MyFitnessPal, StrongLifts 5x5, Fitocracy, etc.), so I'm interested in seeing what Healthbook is all about.

But I agree, Healthbook should probably be one of the last few things they talk about. I'm hoping to see some nice improvements to the next OSX, a big revamp to iOS (even though I think iOS 7 is pretty good), a separate iOS for their iPads (utilize the screen real estate Apple!), App Store for AppleTV, and a few hardware announcements (Mac Mini refresh, AppleTV refresh, AirPort Express refresh, etc.).

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Aren't they live streaming this event? If they don't announce something a bit more substantial I have to believe there will be a lot of negative press coming their way. I realize the hardware isn't ready yet, but IMO they need to go ahead and announce this iWatch/whatever it will be called, especially if it goes hand and hand with the health tracking app. The original iPhone didn't launch until months after it was announced.

khovland92

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
Connecticut
I don't want apps, we already have a million of those. I want features! Embedded OS features!

• Customization
  • Option for tiles
  • Option for widgets
  • That fancy multitasking everyone is talking about
  • Stuff I can't think of

Apps go into a "junk" folder.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
healthbook app ... meh i already got friends telling me i sleep too much i dont need my phone reaffirming that. hopefully its optional as a download

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
This will be WWDC,

Start with video of people using apple products
Spend the next x amount of minutes saying how great they are and mentioning apple stores in china.

New MacBook pros

iOS 8

OSX

Spend the last few minutes explaining all the great products they announced.

End of show

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2014
Oh God no. Just a personal preference but all this focus on Health app integration is making me want to bang my head against a wall. As others have said, it'll just be another app that many users will shove into a 'junk' folder because they can't delete it. I've had passbook now for what feels like centuries. The only use I have for it? Cinema tickets. I don't have a 5S so I have no coprocessor and I have very little interest in an iWatch so the health book stuff will probably be of little use overall.

As for home automation. I know if you're into Apple then you're used to paying over the odds for things however this home automation thing seems like a good idea on paper but I don't know what the prices are like in the US but here in the UK anything like this is a considerable outlay to get up and running. It's easier to just get up and walk to a switch and flick it on/off. And I get a workout in the process.

Actually there's a point. Seems ironic that Apple are supposed to be putting all this health app stuff into iOS 8 and making it easier for us to sit on our butts and be less active while home automation does it for us :rolleyes:

Just a quick aside for the Americans here. As a Brit I always struggle to understand the US aversion to a national health service sort of thing. I hear things like "Big Government" and the like being thrown around. If the US Government were advocating everyone carries around a device that will constantly monitor their health (blood pressure, heart rate, calories etc.) what would be your reaction? Yet I see a lot of positive feedback when Apple are rumoured to be baking it deep into their next iOS. I know that's WAY off topic but thought I'd ask.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Apple, I will do some healthy excersize thingies, but please update the Mac mini!

This will be WWDC,

Start with video of people using apple products
Spend the next x amount of minutes saying how great they are and mentioning apple stores in china.

New MacBook pros

iOS 8

OSX

Spend the last few minutes explaining all the great products they announced.

End of show

Congrats, you've found a way to take the fun out of almost anything. Let's try it with…

Concerts:
  1. Buy ticket(s)
  2. Listen to people play music
  3. End of show
  4. Have hard time hearing for a little while
Computers:
  1. Press buttons and move things to rearrange the array of lights in front of you
  2. End of show
Sex:
  1. Find person
  2. Mutual removal of cloths
  3. Thrust in proximity to them
  4. End of show

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.