Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
So with all those recycling programs carriers have, and most you just drop in the box, why couldn't you just do that? Why did you choose this method? Is 5 minutes of your time really that important? If it is, I hope you don't even have a tv at home because you wouldn't have time to watch that!

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
give it to a friend or family member, Apple will do an out of warrantee repair for $79 and replace it with a refurb. If not, at least recycle it, take it to the Apple store, Best Buy, or even go online to gazelle.com and they will ship you a box to send your phone in.

magilla

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
Wouldn't apple replace it for a fee as out-of-warranty replacement?

It's a 3 - would Apple even consider it???

----------

People do buy broken iPhones on ebay so why not ebay it and at least get something from it?
"...people do buy broken iPhones on ebay..." yeah THAT sounds like a safe thing to do with a piece of electronics with all sorts of personal information on it. Recycle through ebay.

Most big-box home improvement stores and Radio Shacks take in electronics for recycling. Takes about 30 seconds to drop off.

----------

So with all those recycling programs carriers have, and most you just drop in the box, why couldn't you just do that? Why did you choose this method? Is 5 minutes of your time really that important? If it is, I hope you don't even have a tv at home because you wouldn't have time to watch that!

Funny story about what you just said. Next door neighbor (foreign national moved to U.S. couple of years ago) set his iMac out by his recycle bins a couple of months ago. Picked it up on my way to work late one night. Works just fine - no cosmetic scratches or any obvious dents/dings. Had 10.6.8 loaded on it so I just updated it. Didn't even wipe his hard drive.

Welcome to the new global Lazy Waste Society!

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
You didn't mention how it was broken. If it was just a dead battery, that would've been an easy cheap fix to do yourself. Just go to ifixit.com (or any other iPhone parts/repair site).

magilla

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
Oh. Yeah I was having fun too. I figured the wording would indicate that. The thing about putting electronics in the garbage really does annoy me though. It just further hurts our sustainability and increases the issue of pollution. It's not the kind of area where I'd like to see more regulated behavior. I'd just like to see better awareness and an increase in local recycling programs.

Ever see films/photos of ship scrapping being done in third-world countries? Talk about an issue of pollution. People wading through seas of toxic sludge barefoot to cut up old tankers 'n such. Talk about Minimata disease!

magilla

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
I've never understood this ever-increasing indifferent attitude involving technology and the environment. Just because it's small, chuck it in the garbage can/landfill and it'll sort itself out all by itself? That's like saying I'm going to stop using my bathroom & just go out in my side/back yard - after all, the environment will take care of it.

People have to begin to understand that technology, no matter that it's iPods/Fones/Macs/Galaxies - whatever, all contain what may seem on the face of it, relatively small and innocuous bits of this and that, that just "tossing them out" like used chewing gum, is actually creating a huge problem for the environment. Think about it - how may iFones have been produced since their introduction and how many have reached their "service life" and simply been tossed in the garbage?

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
The 5 minutes it takes to post it to a phone recycling company is too long huh?

*EDIT* Damnit, replied to an ancient tread again....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.