Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Okay, so to start with - I've always been one of those people that say - why on earth would you want a keyboard for an iPad? Got a beautiful thin piece of electronics that just works and works well. So why the need to mess it up with of all things a keyboard?

I was at a seminar this week and watched a colleague typing away on a keyboard attached to her iPad - all very quietly and unobtrusively, but still at the end of the day - she was all caught up with her e-mail and I ended up dragging out the laptop - yuck!

So I then started my search for a light weight keyboard that wouldn't bulk up my slim iPad Air too much.

First of all - all the keyboard covers/cases add some bulk and weight.

My first purchase was the Zaggkeys cover. I really loved the engineering that went into the design. Loved the full keyboard display and the quality workmanship and build. I work for a manufacturing company so build quality is a must for me. The Zaggkeys cover just felt really solid and the keys felt good when I typed on them at Best Buy.

Brought that baby home and typed away all weekend, even when I really didn't need to - after all just had to play with the new toy. Right off the bat - although I loved the hinge which gripped the iPad, it also was a pretty tight fit and not pick up and go when you want to disconnect and go to naked iPad. Not a deal breaker but I knew I would be planning for when I used the keyboard or not. The iPad paired up nicely with the Zaggkeys. A couple of cool features are the battery warning key and the backlighting in multiple colors - if you are into that. For me the backlighting is not something I would ever use. First of all, I'm a touch typist and don't need to see the keys and secondly, I wouldn't want to drain the battery down quicker than need be. The feel of the keys was really nice and the sound of the keys was really pretty quiet. I was a happy camper at first. But after carting the iPad/Zaggkeys combo around the house for a couple of days - I realized the extra heft of keyboard. But even with the extra heft and the less than easy slide in and out of the hinge - I was planning on keeping the Zaggkeys.

Initially at home, I noticed that I was making more mistakes than usual in my typing - chalked it up to getting used to a new keyboard - right? But when I was still having typos the 2nd day and most if not all of the typos were double key strokes, I began to question if the problem was the keyboard itself and not me. So off to Google to check it out and found several reviews with the same double keystroke problem. What a bummer. I was thinking that I was all set. So I kept typing slower, faster, more carefully, etc. but nothing helped the double keystrokes. I even tried the recommended fixes - rebooting the iPad and repairing the keyboard. But alas the dreaded double strikes were still showing up. My worst letter being the "t". Didn't realize how many "t's" are in normal writing. So of course, the reason for the keyboard in the first place was to be able to type like the wind and get all that work done - well this Zaggkeys wasn't going to accomplish my objectives if I spent all my time backspacing to correct all those "t's".

So back to Best Buy the Zaggkeys cover went. This time I brought my iPad in the store with me and paired up with my next choice - the Logitech Ultra Thin. In the store - working really good and oh how nice it was to just type and not have to pay attention for mistakes and backspacing all the time. This is what it is all about!!!! Happy faces all around for me. The Logitech has a lot more plastic to it but feels way lighter. I know it's only a few ounces lighter than the Zaggkeys but it feels so much better - not so much heft. The white Logitech really matches up nicely with my white iPad. The keyboard layout is really good also. The keys are a little nosier than the Zaggkeys but the feel is just as good. And what is just so nice is being able to just type normally and not have mistakes. Hooray!!

Some other positives for the Logitech are the ease of just pick up and go with the iPad as opposed to fussing with trying to line up when attaching to the Zaggkeys and having to be careful pulling it out of the hinge. The Logitech is way easier to just pick up and go or stick in the groove and type away. Will I miss the backlight from the Zaggkeys - nope - tried it out just to see it but wouldn't use it anyway. I guess the only thing that I might miss is the battery check key. The Logitech doesn't have one. Also, I will need to remember to turn off the Logitech as it doesn't have the auto off feature.

So anyway - bottom line is - the Logitech is definitely the one for me. Even if the Zaggkeys worked without the typing glitches - the Logitech will suit my needs much better. Lighter, ultra thin and easy to hook up or separate.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
photos of my zagg cover, black macbook mini anyone? hehehehe!

visual obscure concept for artistic enjoyment only:

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Cool photos. How are you doing with the Zaggkeys Cover? Any issues with typos from double keystrokes? Mine had that problem and after seeing the issue as common from a google search, I was leery of trying another.

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
I just wanted to say...the Logitech FabricSkin Cover is just awesome. It's what I've been looking for. Thin profile, not a lot of bulk, great keyboard, auto-on/off...great stuff. Overpriced at $149 for sure, but I got mine at BB for $89. They are clearencing the grey/yellow model. The color isn't for everyone, but I love that, too! Gives me a classy look with a bit of pop. ;) I do plain black on most everything...kinda nice to do something different.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I just wanted to say...the Logitech FabricSkin Cover is just awesome. It's what I've been looking for. Thin profile, not a lot of bulk, great keyboard, auto-on/off...great stuff. Overpriced at $149 for sure, but I got mine at BB for $89. They are clearencing the grey/yellow model. The color isn't for everyone, but I love that, too! Gives me a classy look with a bit of pop. ;) I do plain black on most everything...kinda nice to do something different.

Is it easy to get the iPad in and out of the FabricSkin or you you just mostly leave it in?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Okay, so to start with - I've always been one of those people that say - why on earth would you want a keyboard for an iPad? Got a beautiful thin piece of electronics that just works and works well. So why the need to mess it up with of all things a keyboard?

.. snipped ..

So anyway - bottom line is - the Logitech is definitely the one for me. Even if the Zaggkeys worked without the typing glitches - the Logitech will suit my needs much better. Lighter, ultra thin and easy to hook up or separate.
Oh, so you were one of THOSE people. :) Thank you for your honesty.

I was on a search for the perfect (for me) keyboard for my iPad 4. I ended up with two solutions...

The first is the Apple bluetooth keyboard with the Incase Origami case to hold it. Terrific for marathon typing sessions.

The other, which is one that I use more frequently is the Logitech Ultrathin keyboard cover. It is excels in it's portability.

Now if only Apple would support for mice to the iOS bluetooth stack, I'd be a happy camper. (or as soon as an untethered jailbreak is available for 7.1.1)

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Oh, so you were one of THOSE people. :) Thank you for your honesty.

I was on a search for the perfect (for me) keyboard for my iPad 4. I ended up with two solutions...

The first is the Apple bluetooth keyboard with the Incase Origami case to hold it. Terrific for marathon typing sessions.

The other, which is one that I use more frequently is the Logitech Ultrathin keyboard cover. It is excels in it's portability.

Now if only Apple would support for mice to the iOS bluetooth stack, I'd be a happy camper. (or as soon as an untethered jailbreak is available for 7.1.1)

LOL - yes, I was one of THOSE people and now I'm one of THESE keyboard people and really kind of loving it. I love having the Logitech Ultra Thin cover - so easy to use or not use. Definitely like the portability of it as well. Since it's new to me, I find myself using it all the time. I'm sure once the newness wears off, I'll be back using the iPad without the keyboard when I'm not doing any major typing. But for now the keyboard comes with the iPad. I have a RooCase which easily fits both the iPad and keyboard.

I had a Poker KBC with cherry reds keyboard that I used to use with my iPad but I'm going to sell it as I won't be using it anymore now that I have the Logitech.

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
Is it easy to get the iPad in and out of the FabricSkin or you you just mostly leave it in?

It has the same "latches" that the Ultrathin has...VERY easy to remove the iPad, but when it's in the case, it's very secure as well. However, this is the first keyboard case that I've used where I want to keep my iPad in the keyboard case more than I just use my Smart Cover. It's thin and the profile is great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.