Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The artwork seen on the banner for iOS 8 at WWDC 2014 has been discovered on stock photo site GreenBox Art, revealing where Apple sourced the image.

water_rays.jpg
"Water Rays" artwork by Christopher Ross​
Titled "Water Rays", the photo was taken by artist Christopher Ross, who is noted as being the principal photographer for National Geographic Channel's "Expedition Great White/ Shark Men" special and taking a particular interest in depicting marine life. The artwork itself is available to purchase for $139 on a 30x20 premium canvas.

ios8bannerhanging.jpg
The banner displaying the artwork​
The banner utilizing the artwork was first seen last week inside of the Moscone Center, as Apple will reveal iOS 8 for the first time during its WWDC keynote later today. iOS 8 is expected to retain the same general look as iOS 7, offering refinements along with new features including a new "Healthbook" app, new TextEdit and Preview apps, and possible improvements to both Siri and Maps.

Apple will be live streaming the event both on its website and on the Apple TV. MacRumors will also be providing a live blog, live tweets via the MacRumorsLive Twitter account, and a spoiler-free page for those who want to watch the full keynote afterward.

Article Link: Apparent Artwork From iOS 8 Banner Found on Stock Photo Site

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Wow, really great photograph from Ross there! I always wondered what it would be like if Apple used one of my images in promotional work! All the same, it's a really great photograph.

Ps. Macrumors should reach out to the photographer for comment.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
A nice photo, to be sure.

But it's pretty lazy/ordinary of Apple to be using stock photography off the web for such an important banner. In the good old days, a specially commissioned team of photographers would have been dispatched to capture the perfect images for a new OS release.

This is just another symptom of Apple's inevitable decline.

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
Wait!
Apple cannot hire scuba divers, hunters, divers, woodsmen to take pictures with iPads and iPhones? what happened to the Think Different campaign???
:p:p:p

sharbeen

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2013
United Arab Emirates

But it's pretty lazy/ordinary of Apple to be using stock photography off the web for such an important banner. In the good old days, a specially commissioned team of photographers would have been dispatched to capture the perfect images for a new OS release.

When it comes to photography. There are lot of things to consider. It's a time consuming effort. Photography isn't a simple task, well atleast for the passionate photographers. Art doesn't come out by shelling out cash. I dont think if they would've commissioned a team of photographers it wouldn't have still come this close.

A passionate photographer spending his precious time trying to capture an amazing picture and then putting it out on the internet hoping his work gets appreciated one day and then he see it on the iOS 8 banner. That's epic for him.

Good choice to apple for this amazing picture.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
A passionate photographer spending his precious time trying to capture an amazing picture and then putting it out on the internet hoping his work gets appreciated one day and then he see it on the iOS 8 banner. That's epic for him.
Alternatively, a professional photographer whose client list includes ABC, Adobe, National Geographic (Magazine and Channel), O'Neill, Lucent, and Sports Illustrated, negotiates fat fee for an existing image.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark

I absolutely agree. I've always expected these photos to be from Steve or Cooks private vacations. And all those friendly people shown in Aperture/iPhoto/Mail demos are most likely not of their real friends or family after all. How could anyone have expected otherwise? I will never believe a keynote presentation anymore.

Apple is doomed for sure.

McFreggle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
Dendermonde/Leuven, Belgium

Oh man, really??? What a load of ***

One example: The Lion Apple used wasn't shot by Steve Jobs or one of his fantastic Apple photographers. It was also... stock photography.

As a matter of fact, the Lion was previously used by a Belgian far-right political party...

vlaamsekracht.jpg

osx-lion-01.jpg

So really. If you want to keep shouting "APPLE IS DOOMED" then by all means: do so. But don't bother us with it.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
I absolutely agree. I've always expected these photos to be from Steve or Cooks private vacations. And all those friendly people shown in Aperture/iPhoto/Mail demos are most likely not of their real friends or family after all. How could anyone have expected otherwise? I will never believe a keynote presentation anymore.
Oi. You've been warned before about sarcasm.

:winkyface: :smileyface: etc

Even Longer

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Heidelberg
False

You're all wrong! ;)

Its a photo of a rainy see taken upside down in a free fall, which might have a prognostic meaning, though...

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
For all you doom-sayers...

...Apple's stock has been soaring lately and Eddie Cue was recently saying in an interview with gold ol' Walt Mossberg that the significance of the many products that are still to come before the end of 2014 will be the biggest he's seen in 25 YEARS!

Not sure what Apple did 25 years ago that could possibly be bigger than things like 2 new iPhones and a 4K Thunderbolt display.

I can't WAIT!!! WWDC only hours away...haha

SmoMo

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
cattaphobe

Oh man, really??? What a load of ***

One example: The Lion Apple used wasn't shot by Steve Jobs or one of his fantastic Apple photographers. It was also... stock photography.

As a matter of fact, the Lion was previously used by a Belgian far-right political party...

So really. If you want to keep shouting "APPLE IS DOOMED" then by all means: do so. But don't bother us with it.

THAT'S NOT THE SAME LION !!
Man, they just all the same to you right?
You're like a racist, but for lions.

bmelson0412

Suspended
May 30, 2014
You're all wrong! ;)

Its a photo of a rainy see taken upside down in a free fall, which might have a prognostic meaning, though...
No You're actually wrong. So stupid!!! If it was actually an upside down picture of rain falling on the ocean, you would see water droplets hitting the surface of the water. Go away!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.