Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applecrag

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
Hey everyone. Just today I noticed that I cannot control my volume at all. The pull down sound icon on the menu bar cannot be adjusted. I cannot use the keyboard to change volume. All I can do is mute it. Also, in the system preferences under the "sound" icon I cannot change the volume. It appears to be greyed (spelling) out. Any ideas on what might have caused this and how to fix it? I've tried restarting and I'm running the latest version of Tiger. Thanks.

applecrag

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
I do not have speakers...just the crappy internal ones built-in to the powermac.

applecrag

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
Just tried repairing disk permissions. Problem still exists. It's weird because when I restart the computer, I hear the startup tone. I wonder what it could be. Thanks for the help guys.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
What sort of Mac is it? Maybe try resetting the PRAM although I would think that if it's a PRAM issue, your speakers wouldn't be working at all.

Is it the same issue across all accounts? If you only have the one account, then maybe make another through System Preferences. :)

applecrag

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
I tried resetting the Pram. Still can't control the volume. I made another account and the sound didn't work on that one either! Strange...Again, thanks for the help. It is a dual 2ghz Powermac.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
What software (and maybe hardware) have you added since not being able to change the volume? In particular, is there an app installed that modified sound output? :)

paperfone

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2009
I had a very similar problem as well. Try going into System Preferences>Sound>Output and then choose Internal Speakers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.