Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier today as Apple was unveiling OS X Yosemite for the first time at the Worldwide Developers Conference, software chief Craig Federighi announced that there would be a public open beta for the new operating system ahead of its launch this fall. Now, users on our forums have discovered an AppleSeed sign up page for the program, with Apple noting that the program is open to the first one million users who register.

osx_yosemite_open_beta2-800x643.jpg
How can I participate?

To join the OS X Beta Program, just sign up using your Apple ID. When the beta software is ready, you'll receive a redemption code that will allow you to download and install OS X Yosemite Beta from the Mac App Store. Then go ahead and start using it. When you come across an issue that needs addressing, report it directly to Apple with the built-in Feedback Assistant application.
Users will also need to be running OS X Mavericks, and Apple recommends that the OS X Yosemite beta be installed on a secondary Mac in the event of possible bugs and errors.

OS X Yosemite includes a brand new user interface design alongside major new features focusing on seamless integration between Mac and iOS devices. The new operating system also includes a new cloud storage solution called iCloud Drive, as well as the ability to make phone calls and texts through an iPhone.

Article Link: OS X Yosemite Public Beta Limited to First Million Registered Users

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Listen, I love the Mac, and I love how much more popular it is - but 1 million people? Hardly exclusive considering the Mac user base. We're still the elite few folks :p

and with the 899 macbook air - I don't mean money. I mean common sense not to use windows XD

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Now the question is, when will this particular beta period take place? We already know the Mac Dev Portal can be used to obtain the code for the Mac App Store, but will we have to wait a couple of months for the signup beta?

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
Done! Thanks for the heads up!

Here's hoping that million people will fill those slots before the end of the week. :D

iCore24

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan
I signed up and downloaded the Feedback assistants app.

But it says to update to OSX10.10 but when I click update it shows a not found page from Apple.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
One question guys.

If I sign up, will I be able to continue with stable Mavericks releases until I decide to install Yosemite beta (In July or August, for instance)? Will I get accidentally Mavericks beta versions on my MacBook Pro? Can I have Mavericks stable in one mac (without beta updates) and Yosemite beta in other computer?

Thank you a lot :)

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
One question guys.

If I sign up, will I be able to continue with stable Mavericks releases until I decide to install Yosemite beta (In July or August, for instance)? Will I get accidentally Mavericks beta versions on my MacBook Pro? Can I have Mavericks stable in one mac (without beta updates) and Yosemite beta in other computer?

Yes you will be able to keep Mavericks installed on a Mac, and the beta on another computer.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
One question guys.

You can log into any Mac with your Apple ID and therefore use your public beta registration on any device. So you could have Mavericks on one device and Yosemite on the other. Not sure if that answered your question.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Thanks!

A big thanks to whoever found this link!!!.

Much appreciated.

I was trying to find this on the Apple website, for some reason when I click to view more about OSX Yosemite, it just keeps refreshing the current page.

Lets hope by Summer, they mean June 21st! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.