Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmxracer

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
Any one have one? They seem like a good value for the price. What are your thoughts?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Any one have one? They seem like a good value for the price. What are your thoughts?
I picked one up a few months ago for $59 factory refurbed.

They are on par or a little better (spec-wise) than the Nexus 7 (2012 edition) love the support for microSD. The screen is crisp and bright. Performance is snappy. Out of the box, B&N supports Google Play store. So no need to root and sideload to get Google Play.

The only downside is the custom Android-based ROM doesn't provide a full feature-set of Android. In particular, I was trying to pair a Motorola KZ450 keyboard (w/trackpad). It required a keycode for bluetooth pairing but the nook didn't display the prompt.

I ended up rooting and flashing CyanogenMod. I now have a full Android tablet, was able to pair the keyboard, and performance is on par if not better than the stock ROM.

But even with the stock ROM it is a wonderful device. Just be warned, the AC Adapter emits a high-pitched whine when it is plugged into an outlet and not attached to the nook. I usually keep the nook attached, or remove the AC adapter when not in use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.