Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
So far it's very buggy and doesn't respond to requests to change the size from the default 1024x768. The simulator flickers constantly and apps launch at a small size. Only the home screen uses the full resolution.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Can we not get some screen shots of the homescreen at some of the suggested iPhone 6 resolutions?

I seem to remember that before the iPhone 5 came out, the xcode beta simulator suddenly added an extra row of apps when it was set to the iPhone 5 resolution.

So perhaps we can figure out the resolution for the iPhone 6?

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
Why not make Apps behave like computer programs and be fully resizeable? Wouldn't that eliminate the whole screen size and resolution issue completely?

bvz

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2005
While this isn't absolute confirmation, it looks good for bigger screen sizes.

3rd party keyboards? Finally!
Bigger screen? Finally?

Now I am only missing widgets in my quest to return to the iOS ecosystem. Maybe iOS9?

Hezzaa

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2010
While this isn't absolute confirmation, it looks good for bigger screen sizes.

3rd party keyboards? Finally!
Bigger screen? Finally?

Now I am only missing widgets in my quest to return to the iOS ecosystem. Maybe iOS9?

3rd party widgets are available in iOS8

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I'm downloading this now so I can try out Swift and hopefully finish the book this week.

boodle

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2004
…rumored 12-inch iPad Pro.
My guess is that this will be the first ARM-based Apple laptop not an iPad, per se. The new Continuity stuff will go a long way towards making an ARM laptop viable. Move over, Chromebook!

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Sad, that is exactly why I wanted the new Xcode. But since I don't have a paid account I can't get into swift. Already into the book. :(

It's $99/year. I don't know how else you an get around it. I wish Apple would let every developer try out the platform who wants to. I'm not quite sure of the logic.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Huh? iOS doesn't use pixel mapping, so I don't think this can be true. Apps are displayed exactly the same, whether it's retina or not.

"Exactly" the same? That makes no sense, many many apps were updated when the retina iPad came out and the images got clearer. You're telling me there are not ANY programs where the text is smaller on a retina iPad vs. a non-retina. That's quite a few programs...

Some icons were replace with 2x images and if those images had words (not text, bitmapped words) on them (not saying they should but some did) and they didn't quadruple words in size (2 in both directions), they'd be smaller (or they might have changed "info" to "information", resulting in smaller text).

My iPhone-only apps are a whole lot easier to read on my iPad when running at 2x. Because they think they're running on a smaller device.

Also, the text is way easier to read on RunPee on my retina iPhone, than on my retina iPad (and it's a dual app) but even the RunPee large font is crazy small on my iPad. I don't know what they're doing, but I don't even bother to use it any more, I'll get up and grab my iPhone because it's easier to read.

(The text on Galileo maps used to be too small on the retina iPad too, this was apparent comparing two devices side by side, but they've added a font size option now).

I'm not saying these aren't app issues, but as a user, they become my issues if I can't read them.

My point was if I could force force my iPad to think I had a smaller device, things would be larger when I enlarged it. (I don't think that I'll be able to tell my iPad that, but that's what my original post was about).

Gary

I'mInnocent!

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2014
No, you need a developer account and at least 10.9.3.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo! If I update to Mavericks, my computer will be really slow. What exactly does Xcode 6 require that Mountain Lion doesn't have? Trick question.

----------

It's $99/year. I don't know how else you an get around it. I wish Apple would let every developer try out the platform who wants to. I'm not quite sure of the logic.

I think they don't want hackers pushing out apps. They want to keep it exclusive to serious developers.

----------

My guess is that this will be the first ARM-based Apple laptop not an iPad, per se. The new Continuity stuff will go a long way towards making an ARM laptop viable. Move over, Chromebook!

Why an ARM laptop? Isn't that just slower than an x86 laptop?

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo! If I update to Mavericks, my computer will be really slow. What exactly does Xcode 6 require that Mountain Lion doesn't have? Trick question.

----------

I think they don't want hackers pushing out apps. They want to keep it exclusive to serious developers.

----------

Why an ARM laptop? Isn't that just slower than an x86 laptop?
No idea. I haven't downloaded Xcode 6 yet either... mostly because I need to update to 10.9.3 and I'm on 10.9. something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.