Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Recent rumors surrounding Apple's upcoming iPhone 6 have pointed to two models for the device: a 4.7-inch version set to launch later this year and a larger 5.5-inch version for late 2014 or early 2015. While Apple previously released the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c at the same time last year, reports have indicated that issues with the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 battery life and display technology will force the company to launch both phones at separate times later this year.
iphone-6-front-back-800x536.jpg
Now, a new report from Chinese site Laoyaoba (Google Translate, via GforGames) claims that Apple has solved its battery issues with the 5.5-inch iPhone 6, as the company will partner with Chinese manufacturing company Sunwoda Electronics to manufacture 20 million batteries for the device. Apple's main battery supplier Dynapack will also help with production, however the Taiwanese-based company has reportedly struggled to keep up with demand.

The report also notes that Apple is aiming to build 20 million 5.5-inch iPhone 6 units by the end of this year, which follows a rumor last month that stated the company's desire to build a total of 80 million iPhone 6 units in 2014. If true, this would mean that the majority of iPhone 6 units would be of the smaller 4.7-inch version, perhaps indicating that the larger version will be hard to find until supplies improve later next year.

In addition to a larger screen, Apple's iPhone 6 is expected to include a thinner profile, a faster A8 processor, and an improved camera in the form of optical or electronic image stabilization. Apple has also included an option for developers to size apps for devices referred to as "Resizable iPhones" in its release of Xcode 6 earlier today, which likely further indicates that iPhones with larger displays are coming.

Article Link: Apple Solves Battery Issues with 5.5-Inch iPhone 6, Looks to Ship 20 Million Units in 2014

pkson

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
So no worries about getting the 5.5"?
I wasn't sure if I wanted the 4.7", but now I guess I'll be getting the 5.5".

sethlution

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
I live in Korea , and almost everyone around me is using gigantic phabets. My 5S almost look like a little toy :D I've always thought that 4.7 is the perfect size but who knows. Maybe Apple can convince me to get on this phablet train.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Best way to decide what size you want is to go into an MSFT store and play w/ the Lumias. They have everything from 4" to 6" right there next to each other.

landroverz7

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Release Both Same Time

Whaterver they do, they should release both at the same time! So as a consumer I can choose which one I want to buy, instead of waiting for this magical 5.5 iPhone.

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I never really believed the rumors about the delays. Either the 5.5" is happening and it'll be constrained at launch, or it wasn't going to happen at all. I don't think they want to launch the (if happening) larger model at a separate time. Apple knows anyway majority of sales would be the smaller and likely cheaper 4.7" model which should be plentiful.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Shouldn't the 5.5" inch technically have a larger battery? I would expect the smaller 4.7" to face battery trouble compared to a larger device. Or is this a problem in the chemistry related to the higher volume of the larger battery?

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Hmmmm, interesting. Not the size I'm interested in, but if Apple comes out with both in the fall... Could be a very interesting quarter. The combination of iOS 8 and the new sizes should/could mean some pretty impressive sales.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Well, I guess now that the WWDC keynote is over, it's time for more sketchy rumors from unreliable sources about the iPhone.

This gets the front page, while a story about Apple changing its flagship programming language for the first time in a couple decades gets stuck in the iOS Blog.

OtherJesus

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Bay Area, California
Gonna be such a tough choice if they don't come out at the same time. I'd want to feel them both before deciding.

I much prefer the feel of the 5C to the 5/5S. I don't use a case and I'm so tired of the sharp edges, it's so "uncomfortable". The 5C reminds me of the 3GS feel and I miss that... but the current iPod touch is the king of them all IMO.

So if Apple can deliver a comfortable curved feel, yet the phone still lays flat, I'm going to be much more interested in the 4.7 model than 5.5.

But read my first sentence lol

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
Wow look at that horrible headline. I seriously just panicked and thought Apple silently released the iPhone 6 for about 0.5 seconds.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Just looking forward to a new iPhone. Plan ends in August and then I just ride it out. Prefer a smaller one but if 5.5 Inch is available at same time, who knows.

OtherJesus

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Bay Area, California
Well, I guess now that the WWDC keynote is over, it's time for more sketchy rumors from unreliable sources about the iPhone.

This gets the front page, while a story about Apple changing its flagship programming language for the first time in a couple decades gets stuck in the iOS Blog.

This is why I stopped coming here. MacRumors has kinda become like IGN :)

(ooops I came back lol, don't like 9to5s layout)

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
Best way to decide what size you want is to go into an MSFT store and play w/ the Lumias. They have everything from 4" to 6" right there next to each other.

Hmm... good idea....
i've been in a bummer mood lately anyway. Going by the Microsoft store always gives me a good laugh :D

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
With Apple now supporting "Hey Siri" when your device is charging, I am hoping to see the A8 include a separate core specifically for voice recognition (much like the Moto X) to extend this capability past the charger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.