Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

drsnoo

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
Does alarm clock works while iphone's off?

I guess it would require HW support. And if Apple added it, they would boast immediately.
I haven't see the feature on any smartphone for long long time. My last phone which had it was old symbian Nokia e51 ;)

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
iOS 8, All The Little Things! (New Features in iOS 8) [Merged]

Sweet! Looks like I will be using a new search engine on my iPhone. Thanks man!

You already can. Duck Duck Go has had an app for years, also some 3rd party browsers let you set Duck Duck Go as your default search.

Last edited:

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Spotlight search.

It only appears like this the first time you use it. Once you have searched, this disappears.

As Spotlight now searches across more platforms, are you also now able to use it to do a quick Google search for something or do you still need to open up Safari to do this?

I searched and I didn't see this mentioned:

Leaving a group message is greyed out, and adding someone to an existing thread doesn't work yet, but the GUI is there.

This is one feature which I love to bits!!! My son is often put into these ridiculous threads by 'friends' and then constantly gets messages from other people in that thread - even when he doesn't know the people in the thread (because so many have been added) THANK YOU APPLE...!!!! :)

It seems that the group chat has to be an iMessage to leave and add people. I am in multiple chats and the only ones that I can share my location with and "do not disturb " are the iMessage chats

....dayam - is this really true? You can only leave a thread if its an iMessage thread? Can you not leave if its a standard text message thread? :mad:

Why......?!:(

Hezzaa

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2010
As Spotlight now searches across more platforms, are you also now able to use it to do a quick Google search for something or do you still need to open up Safari to do this?

This is one feature which I love to bits!!! My son is often put into these ridiculous threads by 'friends' and then constantly gets messages from other people in that thread - even when he doesn't know the people in the thread (because so many have been added) THANK YOU APPLE...!!!! :)

....dayam - is this really true? You can only leave a thread if its an iMessage thread? Can you not leave if its a standard text message thread? :mad:

Why......?!:(
'
Because SMS is completely different, you can how ever block the contacts if you wish to not receive messages from these people. SMS is not really group messaging, it just sends one message per each person you've added as a receiver. The replies will come to their own conversations as there is no way to tell which ones belong to the "group conversation".

Antoni Nygaard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2009
Denmark
i just called my dad on the iPad air through iPhone 5, the quality suck right now.

but you have to have bluetooth enabled on both devices.

the FaceTime app just crashes on the mac

Burton8219

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Changes i've noticed...

...in the Settings app
- Show battery usage BY APP: General > Usage > Battery Usage
- Voice Activation: General > Siri
- Different Location Services options: Privacy > Location Services
- Different "System Services" location services: Privacy > Location Services > System Services
- Store/Delete Messages option: Messages >

...other places
Obviously the Bug Reporter and Health App
- I'd like to specifically mention that in the Health App, there is a way to make what Apple is calling your Medical ID. I can enter emergency contacts, allergies, etc, and this information can be used even when the phone is locked. I like this feature.... I remember having it on one of my old "Flip phone" LG's.

This is all I was able to figure out when I was at work... more to come when I get home!
For some reason my phone only has two options under Location Services, Always or Never. Gonna have to look into this more, but just something I noticed.

benrd

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
sorry if mentioned but does anyone know if safari still reloads a page each time you go back to it? - annoying as hell if like me you open several pages to then go in and read later

Hezzaa

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2010
PhotoBooth app seems to be dead on the Mac side, what about the iPad? Still there?

revres

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2014
Can anyone try if it is now possible to use a sim only with ipad to receive calls / activate imessage with number?
Also:
Is it now possible to use two iphones with different numbers to receive all calls through just one? (Would be a nice "dual sim" feature)

Are the calling/sms features only supported through bluetooth or also through wlan (see comment below)?

OafTobark

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Could someone please explain what this DuckDuckGo search engine seems to be so highly liked and how it differs from say Google or Bing? Thanks

In other beta news, downloaded and installed on my 5s last night.. Wow! What an outstanding beta. I've come across only a few little bugs, but things are so fluid and responsive. The QuickType keyboard is awesome and so responsive and quick. Watching suggested words come across the screen as I type is great, and makes typing longer words a lot quicker and convenient. As someone mentioned before, feels like iOS 6! Great release, can't wait till we see new feature included in future betas.

Also, anyone successfully get continuity to work correctly on a Mac with a Yosemite preview?

atrevers

macrumors regular
May 24, 2007
UK
Could someone please explain what this DuckDuckGo search engine seems to be so highly liked and how it differs from say Google or Bing? Thanks

From Wikipedia:

DuckDuckGo is an Internet search engine that emphasizes protecting searchers' privacy and avoiding the "filter bubble" of personalized search results. DuckDuckGo distinguishes itself from other search engines by not profiling its users and by deliberately showing all users the same search results for a given search term. DuckDuckGo also emphasizes getting information from the best sources rather than the most sources, generating its search results from key crowdsourced sites such as Wikipedia and from partnerships with other search engines like Yandex, Yahoo!, Bing and WolframAlpha.

melb00m

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
I guess it would require HW support. And if Apple added it, they would boast immediately.
I haven't see the feature on any smartphone for long long time. My last phone which had it was old symbian Nokia e51 ;)

This has always worked on iPhone. You can switch your phone off, the alarm will sound (if set).
Why not just try things out before posting false statements.

Topher227

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago, IL
For some reason my phone only has two options under Location Services, Always or Never. Gonna have to look into this more, but just something I noticed.

I probably should've clarified on that one.
On apple apps, i see the three options. On third party apps, i see only Always or Never. I'm assuming that EITHER this feature must be added by developers, or it will be fixed/added in a future release.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Moderator Note:

Sadly the creator of the original thread, nor the previous version, is up to the task of managing the list for iOS 8.

If someone is interested in creating / maintaining an iOS 8 feature list, we can look into making it into a Sticky, as in the case of the iOS7 version. The previous list was a great asset to many people here on MacRumors in the past.

If someone has the time, and feels they are active enough on MacRumors to take on this task, please shoot me a PM. It won't be an official MacRumors Job, however, the work will be greatly appreciated by the forum community!

dhruveonmars

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
UK
Not sure if this is my iPhone only or for UK, but Spotlight Suggestions doesn't work. I would have thought that it would use the same results as Siri does, because Siri gives me the same information requested, e.g. a movie playing in theatres.

Anyone else from UK checked it out?

----------

How does the medical card from the lock screen work? I haven't seen any screenshots of it. Or has it just not been implemented yet?

On the Lock screen you click on Emergency, and then click on Medical ID. It gives the information you entered, plus it allows you to call the emergency contact that's been added.

btsvchris

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2014
Is the Family sharing feature already out? Can´t find it in the App store nor with Spotlight.
And which apps can be already configured into the Health app?

drsnoo

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
This has always worked on iPhone. You can switch your phone off, the alarm will sound (if set).
Why not just try things out before posting false statements.

Just did a quick test on my iPhone 5 with IOS7. Phone remained turned off at the moment, when alarm shall ring. Alarm sounded 5 minutes later, just after manually turning on the phone.

Will0827

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2008
Has it be been mentioned that you can finally make custom calendar repeat events not without the siri workaround.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
Has anybody installed iOS 8 b1 using I.m.z.d.l?
And does anybody recommend downloading and using it now or wait for the next beta release?

I tried on my iPad Mini (first generation Wi-Fi only) and it came up as an authorization error when I activated it. As many MR users have stated before I wouldn't advise downloading the beta unless you are a registered developer.

dhruveonmars

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
UK
I tried on my iPad Mini (first generation Wi-Fi only) and it came up as an authorization error when I activated it. As many MR users have stated before I wouldn't advise downloading the beta unless you are a registered developer.

Did you register your UDID for the iPad Mini?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.