Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:06 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Intel Unveils Fanless PC Reference Design Based on Upcoming Broadwell Chips

Intel today showed off a new reference PC design built around the company's upcoming Broadwell Core M processor. The Core M is based on a 14 nm process and will the first Broadwell chip to be made available to manufacturers, who are expected to debut the chip in retail products by the end of this year.

With Intel experiencing difficulties and delays with the development of Broadwell, the current Haswell generation has been stretched out somewhat with only modest "Haswell refresh" bumps taking place in recent months to tide users over until Broadwell. With improved performance and efficiency, Broadwell is seen as a significant opportunity for innovation in personal computers.

Intel's reference design for hybrid tablet-notebook running on Broadwell
At Computex, Intel president Renee James showcased the first Core M device -- a 12.5-inch tablet-notebook hybrid that is thinner than the iPad Air, has a fanless design, and provides energy-efficient performance for mobile users.
Quote:
The innovative design is based on the first of Intel's next-generation 14nm Broadwell processors that are purpose-built for 2 in 1s and will be in market later this year. Called the Intel Core M processor, it will deliver the most energy-efficient Intel Core processor in the company's history. The majority of designs based on this new chip are expected to be fanless and deliver both a lightning-fast tablet and a razor-thin laptop.
Apple has been rumored to planning to release a fanless Retina MacBook Air later this year, but it is unclear exactly what technology Apple will use to achieve that design. The Core M processor being shown by Intel today is part of the Broadwell-Y series that runs at just a handful of watts, while the MacBook Air currently includes Haswell-U series chips running in the 15-watt range. Broadwell-U chips are expected, although perhaps not in significant quantities until early 2015.

Article Link: Intel Unveils Fanless PC Reference Design Based on Upcoming Broadwell Chips
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:08 AM   #2
TWSS37
macrumors 6502a

This is not the WWDC update you are looking for
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:08 AM   #3
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Seriously?

I loved Craig's "diamond cut chamfers" joke - seems like everyone is getting in on the design.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:09 AM   #4
KingofGotham1
macrumors member

I would be very interested in a Macbook Air with fan-less design, with a slimmer profile and longer battery life!
KingofGotham1 is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:10 AM   #5
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

I would love a fan less design without comprimising performance,
Hopefully intel can deliver.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:12 AM   #6
Jynto
macrumors 6502

Just in time to make the fanless Macbook Air look old.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:15 AM   #7
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

The future looks kinda awesome.
The Phazer is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:24 AM   #8
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Mac mini 2014?

Intel Core M processor, 20nm nVidia Maxwell GPU, PCIe SSD.

This has the potential to be both very powerful in terms of CPU and GPU and yet still be incredibly small and cool.

But since Apple is more about looks than functionality, they won't put a GPU inside the mini and use the built-in "Intel HD" GPU instead. Hopefully they will lower the price by 200$. Imagine a Mac nano for 399$!

edit: I'm looking at my Mac mini 2010 right now, with an external WD 2.5" drive on top of it, and I can imagine a Mac nano being the same size as that external drive.
Yvan256 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:26 AM   #9
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816

Gonna say something about the Mini, but just don't have it in me.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:26 AM   #10
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

It is mind boggling how fast technology changes. It is almost every day something new comes about. It is great, but expensive to try and keep up with it.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:27 AM   #11
betterbegood
macrumors member

Now we just need Apple to figure out how to shell the hardware properly in the casing, so we don't get laptops that gets hot enough to boil an egg.
betterbegood is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:28 AM   #12
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynto View Post
Just in time to make the fanless Macbook Air look old.
Still plenty of fans for Apple products
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:28 AM   #13
JoEw
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterbegood View Post
Now we just need Apple to figure out how to shell the hardware properly in the casing, so we don't get laptops that gets hot enough to boil an egg.
That is a problem with all technology sir
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:29 AM   #14
Keane16
macrumors regular

Thinner than an iPad Air. Damn, tech is progressing at a ridiculous rate.

Would like a peak to see what's been cooking in Ive's labs using these processors - a new MBA would be very, very slick with this inside. (And I still think the current one is great).
Keane16 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:30 AM   #15
HenryDJP
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofGotham1 View Post
I would be very interested in a Macbook Air with fan-less design, with a slimmer profile and longer battery life!
I dunno. In the past fanless Macs have been advertised to run cool but they didn't.
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:30 AM   #16
mtneer
macrumors 65816

This might be Intel panicking and responding to the rumors of Apple moving Mac's to ARM. This is still vaporware at this time, no actual product exists... Microsoft Courier anyone?

Intel has to deliver actual Broadwell's and then we can talk about what looks good and what does not.
mtneer is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:31 AM   #17
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Good news. Less likely that the rumored 12" rMBA will be ARM based.
ValSalva is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:31 AM   #18
melendezest
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256 View Post
Intel Core M processor, 20nm nVidia Maxwell GPU, PCIe SSD.

This has the potential to be both very powerful in terms of CPU and GPU and yet still be incredibly small and cool.

But since Apple is more about looks than functionality, they won't put a GPU inside the mini and use the built-in "Intel HD" GPU instead. Hopefully they will lower the price by 200$. Imagine a Mac nano for 399$!

edit: I'm looking at my Mac mini 2010 right now, with an external WD 2.5" drive on top of it, and I can imagine a Mac nano being the same size as that external drive.
That'd be nice, but...

Man, I'll die waiting for the xMac (iMac with no screen).

Why Apple?

WHY?

WHY ARE YOU DENYING US THIS????

And I don't want to hear anything about the whole "focus" BS. Apple has more money than God already. They can throw us (non-appliance fans) a bone here.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:35 AM   #19
KingofGotham1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
I dunno. In the past fanless Macs have been advertised to run cool but they didn't.
A man can dream can't he!?
KingofGotham1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:36 AM   #20
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by melendezest View Post
That'd be nice, but...

Why Apple?

WHY?

And I don't want to hear anything about the whole "focus" BS. Apple has more money than God already. They can throw us (non-appliance fans) a bone here.
Mac Mini.
cmChimera is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:40 AM   #21
mazz0
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to mazz0
What exactly is a handful of watts, and how does that compare to 15? What an utterly useless comparison.
mazz0 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:40 AM   #22
jmpnop
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmChimera View Post
Mac Mini.
Yeah, Mac Mini has quad-core CPU and dedicated graphics and is exactly what an iMac would be without display
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:45 AM   #23
wizard
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by melendezest View Post
That'd be nice, but...

Why Apple?
How about a Mac Pro lite? That is desktop hardware inside a tower similar to the Mac Pro.
Quote:
WHY?

A question I've been asking for years.
Quote:
Eventually technology will get to the place where the Mini platform could house a pretty good desktop PC. We aren't far from that now. My fear though is that Apple will take this move to 14NM and try to make an even smaller fan less machine instead of giving us a maximal performance Mac Mini. In other words just about the time the right technology debuts for a decent Mini, Apple will cancel the machine to make a smaller machine.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmChimera View Post
Mac Mini.
Not today's Mini!!

Given that the coming technology has the potential to really enhance the machine. That is if Apple actually leverages 14nm to seriously up the Mini's performance. Right now we need a substantially better GPU in the machine and more cores. Broadwell has the potential here, especially if Apple sticks with chips in the 35 watt range.
wizard is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:46 AM   #24
Benjamins
macrumors 6502a

sweet.... I hate fans, and the dust it sucks into the system.
Benjamins is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:51 AM   #25
knewsom
macrumors 6502a

Sweet, can't wait for the next Surface.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion